General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Focus RS mk3 owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 12:03 PM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Focus RS mk3 owners

I’m looking for some feedback from some of the owners on here. Which options are the ones to have, which ones can you live without.
with second hand prices being the same as new because of the wait I may order a new one. and having never ordered a new car before im surprised by the amount of options.

my current preferred spec is.

nitrous blue, seat upgrade, door protectors and heated screen.

Im not sure on the black wheels as for same price I could have some other wheels.
is the lux pack worth it, or the sat nav any good?
I think I prefer my mk1 as it had no options (apart from tinted windows lol)
Old 10-10-2016, 01:08 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 186 Likes on 146 Posts

I looked at these a while back before I got the Golf.

I'd definitely want the Lux pack if I had one. Cruise control and parking sensors are a given for me on a new car. Ford are tight as fuck with things like that for some reason, while most other cars of that type have it as standard. I'm sure I read somewhere that the cruise might become adaptive too. My Golf has that and it's really useful. I'd probably spec Nav too. I would have had it in my Golf but didn't bother as it's a rip off on a lease. Nice to have though.

Sunroof is a bit unnecessary in my view and the other stuff is just a styling choice really. If I was going Nitrous Blue, I'd go with the black wheels and blue calipers as I think it all ties together nicely.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:38 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

Ford seem so tight with their specs. My 2015 Nissan note has cruise control and sat nav lol
Old 10-10-2016, 01:44 PM
Dal_
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by gingeRS
I’m looking for some feedback from some of the owners on here. Which options are the ones to have, which ones can you live without.
with second hand prices being the same as new because of the wait I may order a new one. and having never ordered a new car before im surprised by the amount of options.

my current preferred spec is.

nitrous blue, seat upgrade, door protectors and heated screen.

Im not sure on the black wheels as for same price I could have some other wheels.
is the lux pack worth it, or the sat nav any good?
I think I prefer my mk1 as it had no options (apart from tinted windows lol)
I had all the options except for the door protectors and sunroof.

My dealer said that he had about 50% of the door protectors back with failures as they're just nasty plastic contraptions. And if they fail, you could well smash it into the rear door / rear wing if it fails in the out position. No ta.

If you were getting a black or magnetic one then I'd say why not go for the sunroof, but on Nitrous Blue I think it spoils the look a bit.

Defo get Nitrous by the way - it's amazing and the signature colour obviously. And the haters can't say it blends in to all the other Mk3 Focuses lol Paint matching in the future was a concern for me so I got the front end completely covered in Xpel to be safe.

The wheels are good and when I got mine they were a £595 option so more clear cut bargain compared to the £950 now.

I tried the ST style seat and the CS before going for the CS. They fit me better and look like a seat that should be in an RS.

Lux pack was a no brainer for me as was the nav update. Weirdly with the "better stereo" the system sounds better with the sub disconnected. It probably draws more power away from the other speakers and makes no improvement. If you order now you'll get SYNC3 rather than SYNC2 in my car, but it's all good and works fine.

You get a heated screen even on a basic no options car.

If you're getting a blue car then the painted caliper option is good.

Active city stop is worth it in my opinion as for £200 you will hate yourself if it'd have come in handy rather than a stoved in bumper.

You can get a heated steering wheel now which I probably wouldn't have ticked if it were an option when I got mine.

The £320 for 2 extra years warranty is a bargain given the new technology and if registered with the car registration, stays with the car, not the purchaser.

Any questions, just ask.

Last edited by Dal_; 10-10-2016 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:09 PM
JasonPD
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 101 Likes on 97 Posts

I took every option apart from the sunroof which I didn't want but now you can have a heated wheel/winter pack option which I probably wouldn't have bothered with anyway.

Lux pack as already said gives you a few must haves, the parking sensors did it for me.

Optional stereo upgrade, doesn't sound totally amazing but worth it just to get reversing camera.

Active city stop - only £200 and I hope I never have to use it...

Door protectors, so very cool. I'd be surprised if they failed and buggered the door, they are only rubberised plastic. Fingers crossed that is the case.

CS seats - this was a must have for me but if not essential for you then you'll be £1200 better off!

The forged wheels have gone up I know, personally didn't like the look of the car with the standard wheels so I've got them. Fancy changing the colour to a gun metal finish as I'm not mad of the satin black.

Initially I had nitrous on order (which is a stonking colour) but after going to Simply Ford at Beaulieu this year and seeing 7 nitrous ones there I decided I wanted something different so I came back and changed order to stealth. Really pleased with the colour change, I know it's a bit marmite and some folk think it looks like primer (trust me it doesn't and has a blue/mauve tinge to it which has been emphasised since I detailed it) but I like it and that's all that really matters. The magnetic is lovely too

Edit - oh yeah, the blue calipers - well you'd have to really wouldn't you..

Last edited by JasonPD; 10-10-2016 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:26 AM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

some fantastic info there cheers guys.

did anyone finance theirs, i'm looking at options or acquire as i cant bring myself to sell my mk1 just yet.

i should have bought the thing in 2015 when they were cheaper but didn't have so much confidence. i'm still looking at a 2017 delivery from new, which allows more time to save, as the final balloon payment scares me, as does selling my mk1 lol

Last edited by gingeRS; 11-10-2016 at 09:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
xr2john (11-10-2016)
Old 11-10-2016, 09:32 AM
STeve

Received 864 Likes on 692 Posts

also make sure it has sync 3 and not 2 as its so much better, rs500 is due soon
Old 11-10-2016, 09:37 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

Driven a few now and they seem very good around town drive really well but when pushing quite hard they become very unwilling to go around corners with any sort of finesse and at high speeds in a straight line on a dual carriage way or motorway they seem to wander around a far bit and feel unstable
Old 11-10-2016, 09:40 AM
Dal_
PassionFord Post Troll

I've not had that at all Jay - there was concern to start with and some of that is down to tyre pressures and alignment.

I'd rather save the £3k and be stuck with SYNC2 - it's perfectly fine. Prefer driving the thing rather than playing with the toys anyway.. lol

SYNC3 is arriving in RS now so you'll defo get it if you haven't ordered yet.

I didn't finance it as the deals around at launch time were crap - maybe there's a few sweeteners out there now? Worth asking a few different Ford Stores as they might differ.

Last edited by Dal_; 11-10-2016 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:53 AM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Yes it was the lack of deals that put me off in the end. Understandable given the demand, but I got a cracking deal on ze German that was impossible to ignore, though I would have preferred to have the Focus to be honest.

I don't think SYNC2 is that bad and, as Dal says, if you order now you'll get SYNC3 anyway.

I think you might struggle to get much of a deal, but it can't hurt to ask.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:08 AM
STeve

I was told all new ones would have the sync3 as will the mustangs etc great bit of kit bang up to date, as I was in essex ford last weekend with a buddy ordering a his n hers mustang and rs and shes having the rs
Old 11-10-2016, 10:14 AM
Dal_
PassionFord Post Troll

Customers are just receiving Focus RS now with SYNC3 as the change over came during the September shutdown at Saarlouis.

Mondeos have had SYNC3 for a while now.

Lets hope SYNC3 is reliable as it's Blackberry based. Although Microsofts SYNC2 has been ok.

The next move to the Harman brand might be better still with the B&O Play system:

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...ces-world.html
Old 11-10-2016, 10:26 AM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

so sync 3 is all new, had a play with a demonstrator but that was 16 plate so i assume sync2?

current offer is finance at 5.9%
Old 11-10-2016, 10:45 AM
Dal_
PassionFord Post Troll

A 16 plate is SYNC2 yes.

SYNC2:

SYNC3:

Neither of which picture is a Focus so ignore the non screen buttons
Old 11-10-2016, 10:54 AM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Dal_
Customers are just receiving Focus RS now with SYNC3 as the change over came during the September shutdown at Saarlouis.

Mondeos have had SYNC3 for a while now.

Lets hope SYNC3 is reliable as it's Blackberry based. Although Microsofts SYNC2 has been ok.

The next move to the Harman brand might be better still with the B&O Play system:

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...ces-world.html
This could be good news. I do think the audio systems in Fords are a bit lacking compared to some of the competition, this might be a good improvement.

SYNC2 seemed to get a lot of stick but I don't mind it. It seems more stable than the system in my Golf from a Bluetooth perspective.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:58 AM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

demo car was definitely sync 2

never bought a new car.....nervous (and excited at same time)

mate keeps telling me to save £10k and buy a 2014 golf R
Old 11-10-2016, 12:18 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Golf is worth a look (I would say that lol). It's worth looking around online at the below links, you can get decent deals on them. Although they are leases, you can take one with a right to buy at the end, so it's not much different to Ford Options.

https://www.contracthireandleasing.c...FUGVGwodm9MN_w
https://www.nationwidevehiclecontrac...FQYq0wodsrwJEQ

I looked at buying used before I got my car, and was looking at a Focus ST, but the interest rate on the finance on the used car was so crap, that the new one actually worked out better value, so it's worth being aware of.

Having driven both the FRS and the Golf R, they're both great cars, but are different in their persona. Performance-wise, there is naff all in it, but I think the Focus is a slightly more exciting drive. The Golf feels like a FWD just with no traction issues, while the Focus does feel a bit more like a traditional 4WD. I think the interior of the Golf is nicer, though you don't have the option of fancy seats, but the Golf comes with better equipment as standard. As a thing for driving, the Focus is probably the better car, whereas I think the Golf is probably nicer for the daily grind. Put it in normal mode, stick the adaptive cruise on, sit back and it will eat the miles while you enjoy your tunes in refinement. The Golf is the supreme all-rounder, where the Focus is a bit more, well, focused. Saying that, if you wanted to liven the Golf up, a remap on some cars has seen 380bhp and Revo do a 450bhp conversion, so there are plenty of tuning options for it.

For me, if they had been the same price and available at the same time, I would probably have taken the Focus. However, there wasn't much of a wait for the Golf and there is a lot more room to move on price, so I went with that. On Options, the Focus RS would have cost me about £600 a month or something silly. Through a leasing company, the Golf is considerably, and I mean CONSIDERABLY, less than that, more like Focus ST money. Both are fantastically capable cars either way.

Last edited by massivewangers; 11-10-2016 at 12:20 PM.
Dal_ (11-10-2016)
Old 11-10-2016, 12:24 PM
STeve

went out in a few ford demo cars recently some at alperton ford which you know well ginge and they were sync3 so defo good news for new car buyers, well impressed with its features and ease of use it just makes whatever ford your driving a nicer place to be
Old 11-10-2016, 02:41 PM
Milkybar Kid
PassionFord Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely pay for the painted calipers as if you don't they just come bare alloy with a brembo sticker so will start to corrode very quick
Old 11-10-2016, 06:16 PM
j6kyt
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive ordered our for next year but no date yet, we have all options except sunroof, and winter pack in magnetic. Glad we ordered when we did as the prices have increased since.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:23 AM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by j6kyt
Ive ordered our for next year but no date yet, we have all options except sunroof, and winter pack in magnetic. Glad we ordered when we did as the prices have increased since.
yes £34k with the options i want is a hard pill to swallow (a cayman is only £6k more)
Old 12-10-2016, 11:26 AM
Dal_
PassionFord Post Troll

£6k more, and depreciation will probably be crippling, and don't mention the servicing costs.

And you won't be able to take part in Ford Fair lol
Old 12-10-2016, 11:31 AM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Dal_
£6k more, and depreciation will probably be crippling, and don't mention the servicing costs.

And you won't be able to take part in Ford Fair lol
all fair points....can still bring my mk1 to ford fair

just wish it was 19,995 like the mk1 lol
Old 12-10-2016, 06:00 PM
JasonPD

Porsche only £6k more? Without the options though right? Most porsches come with a huge book of options and folk I know that have gone for new ones say it's easy to stick on £10k+ without even being flamboyant.

Sync 3 would have been nice but the £2.5k or so I saved by buying early (along with the face it's still quite a rare sight on the road still) has more than made up for it.

I've found the handling immense on spirited runs but agree under heavy acceleration you have to have your wits about you and the wheel held tightly as it can try to yank it from you. I wouldn't say in a 'this car is faulty' way but I guess it has a lot of power that it's trying to put down.

Finance from ford on a pcp was about £4000 in interest and added to the fact I wanted to own and not hand back or upgrade in a couple of years it wasn't for me. A couple of 0% interest credit cards might give you a bit towards it if you have some cash to put down (that's what I did) or bank loans are as little as 3.2% so that might be worth looking at? All depends on how much you want to put down/pay monthly etc.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:05 PM
JasonPD

Also on the Golf R debate, we were actually set to get one on a lease but VW were such bawbags when we went to test drive (I've driven a few but my Mrs hasn't and she uses the car more then I anyway). Since then, the golf has become incredibly popular and you see them everywhere. Some very good second hand deals to be had on these too. Think I would feel more at ease leaving it parked places as the focus does get a lot of attention.
Old 13-10-2016, 02:53 PM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

ok cool.

right so 2 options....keep the RS buy a mk3 focus ST family car (no finance needed)

keep the RS finance some of the new RS but have to wait for it, and will have a balloon payment at end.
Old 13-10-2016, 02:55 PM
STeve

mk1 and st ftw
Old 13-10-2016, 03:12 PM
Dal_
PassionFord Post Troll

Have to weigh up the long term finances if that's important to you. How much will you lose on the ST compared to the (possible) loss on the RS?

Doubt anyone knows the answer to that one, so just go with what you want. Neither is for life so change if you get bored with either lol
Old 14-10-2016, 01:35 PM
JasonPD

The ST makes a lot on sense if buying used as big savings to be had. The RS is more likely to hold its value a little better so would be a better bet if buying new and worried about depreciation.
Old 17-10-2016, 11:43 AM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

right spanner in the works......

went to VW at the weekend with the family, and visited ford after.

we sat in a new mk7 golf GTI at the dealers, talking specs with the (not very well) informed salesman. they didnt have any golf Rs in stock, the manager had one which was very handsome in blue but i think the GTI was a better looking car.

then we went back to view the Focus RS i had seen a week previous, problem! the Golf is WAY nicer inside, this is where i will spend most of the time. options are expensive on the golf, 8inch screen with nav is £1300, leather is £1750!

me and the ms both looked at each other guiltily and had to admit that the golf is better.

i know i haven't driven either, and will reserve judgement till i have but i could buy a mk7 golf GTI from the dealer that is 2 years old with the same spec for £20k thats £14k cheaper than the RS. i know they are not the same car though, a golf R would be closer to £25k (at 1-2 years old)

this is a spanner in the works, as i was realy impressed at the focus interior until i saw the golf....now it looks cheap and plasticky

ALSO for the mk3 owners out there, have you noticed how there is no padding between the metal frames in the Recaro shell seats on the side bolsters, you can feel them through the leather so wont be long before they are worn i would have thought!!
Old 17-10-2016, 11:48 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

I think the golf looks boring both outside and inside.

A bloke where i live has a mk7 golf gti and a tdi. They both look the same to me.
Old 17-10-2016, 12:17 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

right spanner in the works......

went to VW at the weekend with the family, and visited ford after.

we sat in a new mk7 golf GTI at the dealers, talking specs with the (not very well) informed salesman. they didnt have any golf Rs in stock, the manager had one which was very handsome in blue but i think the GTI was a better looking car.

then we went back to view the Focus RS i had seen a week previous, problem! the Golf is WAY nicer inside, this is where i will spend most of the time. options are expensive on the golf, 8inch screen with nav is £1300, leather is £1750!

me and the ms both looked at each other guiltily and had to admit that the golf is better.

i know i haven't driven either, and will reserve judgement till i have but i could buy a mk7 golf GTI from the dealer that is 2 years old with the same spec for £20k thats £14k cheaper than the RS. i know they are not the same car though, a golf R would be closer to £25k (at 1-2 years old)

this is a spanner in the works, as i was realy impressed at the focus interior until i saw the golf....now it looks cheap and plasticky

ALSO for the mk3 owners out there, have you noticed how there is no padding between the metal frames in the Recaro shell seats on the side bolsters, you can feel them through the leather so wont be long before they are worn i would have thought!!
I would think the Golf GTI is a big step down from the RS in terms of performance. I've not driven a GTI, but have driven the RS and obviously have a Golf R and they feel pretty much identical in terms of straight line performance. The GTI is a good chunk down on power, though is a bit lighter I guess. Saying that, show the GTI a wet road and I'm sure it would struggle compared to the 4WD alternatives. I would definitely recommend that you drive the R, as it's the true rival to the FRS and is a great car.

I agree with you on the interior front. The dash in the Golf is much nicer than the Focus in my view. My Golf also rides a lot better on the road than a Focus ST and is definitely more refined. It would be interesting to do some good road miles in an RS and see how it compares but, if the ST can't match it, I doubt the more hardcore RS will. I still maintain that the Golf is probably a nicer car to live with on an everyday basis, but still has the minerals if you're in the mood to play.

On the equipment front, options on the VW are expensive but, certainly if you get the R, you don't need to add as many in my view. Front and rear park assist and radar-guided cruise control are both standard fit, but part of the Lux pack on the RS, so that's a £1000 saving instantly. I didn't spec any options on mine as it's a lease but I think, if I was buying, the only options I would add to the R are the 19" wheels and sat nav. The standard stereo is pretty good and has all the usual connectivity business, as well as being better sound quality than the standard Ford gear. They have dual zone climate, touch screen, DAB, trip computer, switchable driving modes, power folding mirrors, basically everything you could want to be honest. The leather doesn't get great reviews so most people say to stick with cloth. The seats in mine are plenty nice enough in cloth/alcantara. Also, when I was looking, the VW dealer I went into seemed to have a lot of Rs on file, so could find a car in pretty much any spec. Because they've been quite popular, there is room to negotiate, so getting a car with the options that you want doesn't have to cost a fortune.

Definitely drive the R as it does represent a good option (especially if it's going to be a car you use) but it is a bit different to the RS. Not quite so hardcore, but a sensational all-rounder. You can't lose either way though, they're both excellent in my view.

If you are interested in lower cost options like the GTI, I'd consider running along to your local Skoda dealer too. The vRS is mechanically identical to the Golf GTI (you can even get it with the performance pack), has the same nicer interior, but has a much bigger boot and is better value for money. Worth considering for sure.

Originally Posted by Glenn_

A bloke where i live has a mk7 golf gti and a tdi. They both look the same to me.
Yes but you only like Fords Glenn

The differences between the GTI/GTD/GTE/R are subtle but they are all different. It's a mixed blessing I think. Sometimes I would like my car to be a bit more "out there" but other times it's definitely nice that it's an anonymous.

Last edited by massivewangers; 17-10-2016 at 12:21 PM.
Old 17-10-2016, 12:52 PM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by massivewangers
I would think the Golf GTI is a big step down from the RS in terms of performance. I've not driven a GTI, but have driven the RS and obviously have a Golf R and they feel pretty much identical in terms of straight line performance. The GTI is a good chunk down on power, though is a bit lighter I guess. Saying that, show the GTI a wet road and I'm sure it would struggle compared to the 4WD alternatives. I would definitely recommend that you drive the R, as it's the true rival to the FRS and is a great car.

I agree with you on the interior front. The dash in the Golf is much nicer than the Focus in my view. My Golf also rides a lot better on the road than a Focus ST and is definitely more refined. It would be interesting to do some good road miles in an RS and see how it compares but, if the ST can't match it, I doubt the more hardcore RS will. I still maintain that the Golf is probably a nicer car to live with on an everyday basis, but still has the minerals if you're in the mood to play.

On the equipment front, options on the VW are expensive but, certainly if you get the R, you don't need to add as many in my view. Front and rear park assist and radar-guided cruise control are both standard fit, but part of the Lux pack on the RS, so that's a £1000 saving instantly. I didn't spec any options on mine as it's a lease but I think, if I was buying, the only options I would add to the R are the 19" wheels and sat nav. The standard stereo is pretty good and has all the usual connectivity business, as well as being better sound quality than the standard Ford gear. They have dual zone climate, touch screen, DAB, trip computer, switchable driving modes, power folding mirrors, basically everything you could want to be honest. The leather doesn't get great reviews so most people say to stick with cloth. The seats in mine are plenty nice enough in cloth/alcantara. Also, when I was looking, the VW dealer I went into seemed to have a lot of Rs on file, so could find a car in pretty much any spec. Because they've been quite popular, there is room to negotiate, so getting a car with the options that you want doesn't have to cost a fortune.

Definitely drive the R as it does represent a good option (especially if it's going to be a car you use) but it is a bit different to the RS. Not quite so hardcore, but a sensational all-rounder. You can't lose either way though, they're both excellent in my view.

If you are interested in lower cost options like the GTI, I'd consider running along to your local Skoda dealer too. The vRS is mechanically identical to the Golf GTI (you can even get it with the performance pack), has the same nicer interior, but has a much bigger boot and is better value for money. Worth considering for sure.

Yes but you only like Fords Glenn

The differences between the GTI/GTD/GTE/R are subtle but they are all different. It's a mixed blessing I think. Sometimes I would like my car to be a bit more "out there" but other times it's definitely nice that it's an anonymous.
some great info there, one thing pulling me toward the GTI over the R other than cost is the fact with the revo remap they jump from 220bp to well over 300bhp, I know still fwd but that is great hike for just £600. (the DSG box can also be mapped I understand).
if I get the GTI over the R I could probably justify keeping the mk1 RS for sunny days as its £5k less financial commitment and it would still be a good everyday car.
The GTI doesn’t have the drive options like the R though, so no race mode etc but I imagine is still a fairly capable car. I would however drive both before committing to either. and I must test drive the RS to see what all the fuss is about, as it’s the new bench mark in hot hatches.

as for the out there comments the mk1 RS is out there enough for me, still find myself lusting after an ultimate green mk2 though
massivewangers (17-10-2016)
Old 17-10-2016, 12:58 PM
Adam-M
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 315 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn_

Totally agree looks like a commuter/everyday car rather than a hot hatch
Old 17-10-2016, 01:27 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Massivewangers.. i just think vws are overrated.
Old 17-10-2016, 01:28 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Originally Posted by Adam-M
Totally agree looks like a commuter/everyday car rather than a hot hatch
Not just me then.

All the car mags say the focus rs is the better car so irs not just me and my ford blinkers.
Old 17-10-2016, 01:35 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

some great info there, one thing pulling me toward the GTI over the R other than cost is the fact with the revo remap they jump from 220bp to well over 300bhp, I know still fwd but that is great hike for just £600. (the DSG box can also be mapped I understand).
if I get the GTI over the R I could probably justify keeping the mk1 RS for sunny days as its £5k less financial commitment and it would still be a good everyday car.
The GTI doesn’t have the drive options like the R though, so no race mode etc but I imagine is still a fairly capable car. I would however drive both before committing to either. and I must test drive the RS to see what all the fuss is about, as it’s the new bench mark in hot hatches.

as for the out there comments the mk1 RS is out there enough for me, still find myself lusting after an ultimate green mk2 though
Yeah, as I say, I've not driven the GTI so can't comment on it. The saving is useful but, if you're going down that route, I would give the vRS a look, as it might be even cheaper. A better family wagon as it has a HUGE boot compared to the Golf and all the Revo mods would still work (I think Revo have a 400bhp vRS wagon demo car).

I am pretty sure that work can be done on the DSG box. It doesn't allow left-foot braking in the R but I have read that Revo can change that.

As you say, give them all a go and go from there I reckon. They all have their good and bad points and are all excellent cars, so you can't go wrong really!
Old 17-10-2016, 04:44 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

I myself don't subscribe to the whole vag scene but I must admit some of the golfs ive driven lately are seriously quick, some of the diesel ones have shocked me!
Old 18-10-2016, 07:23 AM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by massivewangers
Yeah, as I say, I've not driven the GTI so can't comment on it. The saving is useful but, if you're going down that route, I would give the vRS a look, as it might be even cheaper. A better family wagon as it has a HUGE boot compared to the Golf and all the Revo mods would still work (I think Revo have a 400bhp vRS wagon demo car).

I am pretty sure that work can be done on the DSG box. It doesn't allow left-foot braking in the R but I have read that Revo can change that.

As you say, give them all a go and go from there I reckon. They all have their good and bad points and are all excellent cars, so you can't go wrong really!
my best friend is a massive Skoda fanboy (despite driving a saab) but as well as the Octavia being a bit big, I also am a badge snob, and although there the same thing (blah blah) the prices are the same as the VW almost and I don’t think the interior is as nice. (and the mrs wouldn’t let me spend £20k on a skoda)
Friday I’m off to see a local VW place where they have the GTI and R in stock (the R is sold so can’t drive it) but it would be good to see them side by side.
I haven’t yet discounted the RS, it is an awesome car, although it would be a massive financial commitment, as well as the fact I spend 10-15 hours a week commuting and thats where the DSG box would really come into its own as its 80% sat in London traffic.
Old 18-10-2016, 08:02 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Alot of people are badge snobs these days. Some people buy posh cars but cant afford to maintain them.

Quick Reply: Focus RS mk3 owners