General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Ford techs...Ecoboost engine advice needed...

Search this Thread

Old 20-09-2016, 08:22 AM
coco16i
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ford techs...Ecoboost engine advice needed...

Any Ford technicians or people in the know able to tell me the differences with the different engine codes on the 1.0 125PS Ecoboost engines ?

Have a 2012 Focus with engine code M1DA and need another engine for it, difficult to find one with the correct code and wondered if any of the other 125PS engines would do the same job even though they have a different code !

Can find M1JE and SFJA engines that are all 1.0 125PS models but don't want to risk buying one with a different code unless it will definitely fit and work ok !
The following users liked this post:
16imarty (21-09-2016)
Old 21-09-2016, 06:36 AM
stevos

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

Hi mate can't help with the codes. Looking at getting a focus 125bhp for my wife. Bit worrying that yours has died already. Can I ask what happened as I thought these were meant to be good engines.
Old 21-09-2016, 08:56 PM
jamie's
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

The 1 litre ecoboost is fairly well known for not lasting, had a vew with more water in the sump than the radiator,
Cant remember the cause but its a known problem
They've all went back to ford to be repaired under warranty any of the 1's i've dealt with
coco16i (22-09-2016)
Old 21-09-2016, 09:06 PM
grcossie

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Often the problems on them, came from overheating, because of the water Return plastic pipe on turbo, breaks. It`s a new rubber hose in use now. We have changed 3 engines at work, one of them was full of rust in the cylinders
Old 21-09-2016, 09:25 PM
Gazzonator
Gary Krishna

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

I've had to recover a fair few of these now that have overheated due to the plastic pipe cracking as mentioned above.

They definitely don't handle overheating well at all with most of the folk I've been out to saying that the temperature gauge didn't move or the warning light didn't come on before the car lost power by which time it was game over.
coco16i (22-09-2016)
Old 21-09-2016, 09:43 PM
grcossie

It is a campaign on this, to change the pipe
Old 22-09-2016, 06:23 AM
coco16i

The problems mentioned above are all to familiar !

Was told the car lost all power and died whilst driving along the road, was recovered to a garage who said there's a load of oil in the header tank and now the engine wont even fire up !

Sounds like it's been roasted even though the person that was driving it said the temp gauge didn't go screaming up at any time and there were no warning light came on.

Do Ford have any dealings with these when this happens then even though this one is out of warranty ? Its 4 years old and done just over 60k.
Old 22-09-2016, 06:26 AM
coco16i

Originally Posted by stevos
Hi mate can't help with the codes. Looking at getting a focus 125bhp for my wife. Bit worrying that yours has died already. Can I ask what happened as I thought these were meant to be good engines.

Same as what's happened in the other comments mate !!
Old 22-09-2016, 06:52 AM
stevos

So basically change that pipe if hasn't been done already.
Any reading I have done on them now looks like it is a recall on them.
Sorry to hi Jack the op thread once again.

Last edited by stevos; 22-09-2016 at 06:55 AM.
Old 22-09-2016, 09:03 AM
moondustka
Boooost!

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Kitchen Devil
I've had to recover a fair few of these now that have overheated due to the plastic pipe cracking as mentioned above.

They definitely don't handle overheating well at all with most of the folk I've been out to saying that the temperature gauge didn't move or the warning light didn't come on before the car lost power by which time it was game over.
Good to know nothing's changed in 30 years! 'warning light didn't come on'

All Ford's warning lights aren't warning are they - they're 'it's f**ked' lights
Old 22-09-2016, 10:01 AM
grcossie

Originally Posted by coco16i
The problems mentioned above are all to familiar !

Was told the car lost all power and died whilst driving along the road, was recovered to a garage who said there's a load of oil in the header tank and now the engine wont even fire up !

Sounds like it's been roasted even though the person that was driving it said the temp gauge didn't go screaming up at any time and there were no warning light came on.

Do Ford have any dealings with these when this happens then even though this one is out of warranty ? Its 4 years old and done just over 60k.
We have 5 years warranty on Ford here in Norway, so all was paid by Ford
Old 22-09-2016, 04:58 PM
colarado red
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Never know why they changed that pipe for a plastic one on the focus always been rubber on the fiesta as far as I know.
Old 23-09-2016, 12:30 PM
coco16i

Update...

Spoke to my local Ford dealer this morning, know the workshop controller guy there so got put through to him and asked about these engines, says they are fairly soft and will be scrap if its had any form of overheating !

Asked me for the reg number and checked on the system for any outstanding recalls etc, turns out there was an extended warranty with it and it's due to run out in 2 days time so am covered for getting a new engine from Ford.... result !!
Old 23-09-2016, 12:35 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

That's lucky! Let's hope they don't wriggle out of it.
Old 23-09-2016, 03:57 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

Update...

Spoke to my local Ford dealer this morning, know the workshop controller guy there so got put through to him and asked about these engines, says they are fairly soft and will be scrap if its had any form of overheating !

Asked me for the reg number and checked on the system for any outstanding recalls etc, turns out there was an extended warranty with it and it's due to run out in 2 days time so am covered for getting a new engine from Ford.... result !!
Bloody hell happy day mate nice one!!
Old 23-09-2016, 04:43 PM
Gazzonator
Gary Krishna

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Update...

Sweet! You've had a right touch there mate!
Old 23-09-2016, 06:13 PM
stevos

That is a result mate. Is there a different thermostat you can fit to ceed it a bit cooler or is there only problems really if they shit out all there coolant.
Old 24-09-2016, 12:19 AM
colarado red
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by stevos
That is a result mate. Is there a different thermostat you can fit to ceed it a bit cooler or is there only problems really if they shit out all there coolant.
They are supposed to use a lot of coolants and burn oil if you believe the net horror stories. Had my fiesta zetec s ecoboost for 3 years and never had to top it up. Just good services and make sure they use the correct oil mines going for its first independent service next week and I have already made sure they use the correct oil.