General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Mid-engine'd Ford?

Search this Thread

Old 16-09-2016, 09:44 PM
stu21t
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by moondustka
I have looked over and over the car, I don't think it's that bad. Definitely cheaper I reckon.

Stevie, I've been thinking a lot about how to do this, so I may end up using front Puma hubs. I can always change it at a later date - I just want the geometry to be right. After getting the engine in the right place and as low as possible, this will be the difference between it driving and corning like dog shite or being pretty darn good. I need to make it adjustable everywhere so I can take it to someone who knows the maths and science behind chassis dynamics, then they can get it set up right. That way I shouldn't end up in a hedge on the first corner!

Failing the Puma hub route, I think it might be a custom job.

Thanks for all the input.

Even if it does work out cheaper (I'd be surprised)
It is massively more complicated and everything turns into a big, awkward job.

I'm not discounting the idea or trying to put you off.
But my car spent so long off the road cos even simple jobs took such a long time to do that a normal setup wouldn't, that you lose out on a lot of driving time.
Old 16-09-2016, 10:56 PM
moondustka
Boooost!

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

So you have done mid-engined before? If so, what car?
Old 16-09-2016, 10:59 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 258 Likes on 237 Posts

I'll take a complete wild guess it might be a cossie mid engined R5.

Not sure why I'd think that.....
Old 16-09-2016, 11:10 PM
moondustka
Boooost!

Yes, thanks for the sarcasm I need some sleep clearly

I think transverse might be easier. The only headache I've got currently are the gear shift cables, as even when they're short if you get them routed wrongly it's dog shite.
The following users liked this post:
stevos (17-09-2016)
Old 17-09-2016, 04:53 AM
visa_broke
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 329 Likes on 308 Posts

Are you able to get another cheap puma and mock it up with spares off that so you can keep yours running as long as possible till the majority is done?

I think it will be good to do something different
Old 17-09-2016, 06:02 AM
3i Jim
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

If going mid-engine I'd mount the engine lengthways and use a transaxle, that way the engine will be more central and not sitting on the rear axle.
Old 17-09-2016, 08:36 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 258 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by moondustka
Yes, thanks for the sarcasm I need some sleep clearly

I think transverse might be easier. The only headache I've got currently are the gear shift cables, as even when they're short if you get them routed wrongly it's dog shite.
If that's the only headache you've got, maybe such a project isnt for you !!!

If you need longer cables...just get longer cables made. That's easy.
Old 17-09-2016, 11:52 AM
moondustka
Boooost!

Originally Posted by visa_broke
Are you able to get another cheap puma and mock it up with spares off that so you can keep yours running as long as possible till the majority is done?

I think it will be good to do something different

I was thinking about that and although cheap I don't fancy spending the money on it. I did think about doing it all to another shell, but I would need a mock 2.0 blacktop and an FRS box as they are unique in their mounting holes I believe.

I pretty sure I will be doing it and I don't quit. So many of these projects get started and never finished. I'll just keep going until it's right

Originally Posted by 3i Jim
If going mid-engine I'd mount the engine lengthways and use a transaxle, that way the engine will be more central and not sitting on the rear axle.
That means buying a different box and shafts etc etc. I have everything that should fit already. The FRS engine is tipped forward in it's n natural habitat so this will actually help for the mid-engine approach. A lot of other FWD cars now have their engines tipped back, not forwards! I honestly believe the biggest reason for it being tipped forward in the MK1 Focus is to clear the bonnet!

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
If that's the only headache you've got, maybe such a project isnt for you !!!

If you need longer cables...just get longer cables made. That's easy.
Don't worry, I'm only thinking cables are an issue because I don't know much about it. The shifter would need to be changed I think as I can't have two 180 bends in the cables, I don't think they will work correctly. I'm not worrying about the other stuff as I can MIG and TIG (all be it self-taught), so fabrication isn't an issue and I don't have to rely on someone else. I have a friend with a lathe and a mill in case I need that kind of stuff doing.

I've asked Cable-tec about cables and yes, they don't seem to be a problem to get made. They've shown me a shifter with cable entry from the rear but it's not going to work with the handbrake in the way.

I need to start a project thread for the car's current state anyway, and I'll put the progress in there. My biggest decision by far is whether I start it this Winter (mid-October probably) or wait until next. I'm supposed to be taking the roof off my bungalow to convert to a house in February which has made me lean towards starting it now, otherwise it'll be forever in the making.
Old 25-10-2016, 06:09 PM
moondustka
Boooost!

Would I be mad trying to keep air conditioning with this set up?

I obviously have the space at the front of the car for charger cooler rad --> A/C condenser --> coolant radiator. I can make the majority of the new lines from aluminium, bending and welding. Would just need Pirtek or similar to do the short rubber flexi hoses either end.

Thanks,

Ben