General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

3dr cossie clutch problems

Old 23-07-2016, 07:48 PM
CLIVE
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3dr cossie clutch problems

I recently replaced the 4th gear syncro on the gearbox and at the same time fitted a new organic clutch and cable and had the flywheel skimmed.
I am now finding I am having problems with gear change as though the clutch needs more adjustment.I spoke to Matt Lewis who I got the clutch from and he said to pack out the clutch cable with a washer or two as the flywheel has been skimmed you need to make up the difference. But it is still not quite right.
has anyone else had similar problems also would changing the quadrant for a different one make a difference.
any advice you can give will be a big help.
thanks
clive
Old 23-07-2016, 08:30 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by CLIVE
I recently replaced the 4th gear syncro on the gearbox and at the same time fitted a new organic clutch and cable and had the flywheel skimmed.
I am now finding I am having problems with gear change as though the clutch needs more adjustment.I spoke to Matt Lewis who I got the clutch from and he said to pack out the clutch cable with a washer or two as the flywheel has been skimmed you need to make up the difference. But it is still not quite right.
has anyone else had similar problems also would changing the quadrant for a different one make a difference.
any advice you can give will be a big help.
thanks
clive
Hi mate what pressure plate have u used and do u know how much was taken off the flywheel
Old 24-07-2016, 10:52 AM
CLIVE

I used a complete Helix organic clutch from Matt Lewis. The Flywheel was a spare a friend had, so had that skimmed instead of mine, I don't know how much was taken off, my worry is that it has been skimmed before and that is where my problem is.
I have been looking into quadrants, mine is yellow which I understand is 45 teeth, not sure if it is the original, I see there is also a white 50 teeth one as well and was wondering if that would help or not.
Old 24-07-2016, 02:46 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I used a complete Helix organic clutch from Matt Lewis. The Flywheel was a spare a friend had, so had that skimmed instead of mine, I don't know how much was taken off, my worry is that it has been skimmed before and that is where my problem is.
I have been looking into quadrants, mine is yellow which I understand is 45 teeth, not sure if it is the original, I see there is also a white 50 teeth one as well and was wondering if that would help or not.
I know the one on my saph 4x4 is white but never seen the other type myself. We used to have a flywheel refacing machine when I worked at mr clutch but it would only
Take a tiny bit off to make the face like new. Perhaps your right it may have been skimmed before. As a regular mechanic I only fit standard parts at work so not sure on all the uprated stuff too much but if the clutch was fine before then can only be a process of elimination of the bits u have now fitted?
Old 24-07-2016, 07:22 PM
richard youll
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Skimming the flywheel makes very little difference, a white clutch ratchet will help but may not fix your problem

I have had faulty helix clutches that wont clear at all and never made it off the ramp, i sent it direct to helix and they confirmed faulty manufacture

I have also experienced that if you use a genuine ford 2wd clutch cable the operTion of the clutch totally transforms into a pedal and feel that assume it should be.

Aftermarket cables have a longer inner cable over genuine and the outer cable is the correct length so the ratchet runs outof teeth so spacing it is just a bodge and you shouldnt do it

What cable did you use?
Old 24-07-2016, 09:28 PM
CLIVE

I used a motorsports developments clutch cable off e-bay, I checked its cable length with the original and it was the same, Matt Lewis said they are normally alright as I think that is the one he sells.
Old 24-07-2016, 09:40 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I used a motorsports developments clutch cable off e-bay, I checked its cable length with the original and it was the same, Matt Lewis said they are normally alright as I think that is the one he sells.
I've got one on mine too and works fine
The following users liked this post:
CLIVE (25-07-2016)
Old 25-07-2016, 10:33 AM
richard youll
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea the msd ones were a commison manufacture of thiers to original spec etc they are spot on, my bet its either a wank helix or quadrant fault
The following users liked this post:
CLIVE (25-07-2016)
Old 25-07-2016, 04:38 PM
CLIVE

thanks for all the help. I have ordered another quadrant and having another go with it on Sunday, but any other suggestions always welcomed
Old 26-07-2016, 03:13 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

my 2wd cossies have all had yellow quadrants in them