General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Any windscreen fitters on or folks in the know

Search this Thread

Old 22-07-2016, 10:46 PM
xr2john
Passionford Addict

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Any windscreen fitters on or folks in the know

Need a bloody new screen for the Mrs Touran The things just cost me £400 to mot last week and that was many skint knuckles included for me replacing brakes and full shocks springs etc. 3 emission tests in there aswell before the thing passed Not that I was shocked with that.

Anyway on a 200 mile round road trip up to Aberdeen and back today finalising the last of our wedding plans for sept and I'm driving only 5 miles away from home and bang windscreens fu**ed completely!!!!

Never saw the likes before but I was in the outside passing and level with the car next to me when a stone came from the opposite carriageway and I saw it come and very nearly ducked End result was a crack like half a 10p and by the time I've got home tonight it's went from right in my view to either side of the windscreen. Raging isn't the word honestly

I've got windscreen cover but I'm not one for claiming stuff and the excess is £75 so what to do. I've emailed auto glass for a quote to see the score but what's the best and realistically for me right now the cheapest. Just had to fork out £1700 today on wedding bills

Thought folks. What would you lot do?
Old 22-07-2016, 10:53 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

You ain't getting a Touran screen fitted by anyone, let alone the likes of Autoglass or other larger brand companies for £75. Your windscreen cover and excess is there for you to claim on, so use it. You might as well, you've already paid for the replacement in your premiums.

Ring your insurance company, and find out who the preferred replacer is. If it's Autoglass, or Auto Windscreens, then I'd suggest you ask them if they have a second preferred repairer, ideally a local independent. Reason being, Autoglass and Auto Windscreens have both lost LOADS of staff due to restructuring and changing business model's, and are mostly staffed by trainee's now. And having been in the trade 13 years, I know a lot of people spread over different area's in different companies. And both of these companies now have dedicated, experienced, technicians whose sole job all day every day, is going out and rectifying the mistakes and damage caused by the trainee's.

Secondly, if it's Auto Windscreens, you'll most likely have 6 failed appointments and you won't get the screen changed for over a month.

Lastly, using a local independent is good for supporting local trades
Old 23-07-2016, 12:55 AM
xr2john
Passionford Addict

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
You ain't getting a Touran screen fitted by anyone, let alone the likes of Autoglass or other larger brand companies for £75. Your windscreen cover and excess is there for you to claim on, so use it. You might as well, you've already paid for the replacement in your premiums.

Ring your insurance company, and find out who the preferred replacer is. If it's Autoglass, or Auto Windscreens, then I'd suggest you ask them if they have a second preferred repairer, ideally a local independent. Reason being, Autoglass and Auto Windscreens have both lost LOADS of staff due to restructuring and changing business model's, and are mostly staffed by trainee's now. And having been in the trade 13 years, I know a lot of people spread over different area's in different companies. And both of these companies now have dedicated, experienced, technicians whose sole job all day every day, is going out and rectifying the mistakes and damage caused by the trainee's.

Secondly, if it's Auto Windscreens, you'll most likely have 6 failed appointments and you won't get the screen changed for over a month.

Lastly, using a local independent is good for supporting local trades
I knew there was fitters and ex fitters on here. Sure I've seen posts you've made and your going into the rail I think as an ex fitter. Could be wrong. It's been a long day and I've had a couple of shandys now

Advice appreciated

I know it wouldn't be anything like the excess and I would pay that bit more but I haven't had to have a windscreen replaced since 98 and that was a mk2 xr2 so not got a clue
Old 23-07-2016, 05:56 AM
STeve

Received 864 Likes on 692 Posts

also a former screen fitter and thrush is spot on, plus your screen cover does not effect your ncb in anyway so shelling out the excess is a no brainer in this case
Old 23-07-2016, 07:43 AM
visa_broke
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 329 Likes on 308 Posts

off topic but good luck with the wedding
Old 23-07-2016, 10:08 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

broke the screen on the mondeo and went to autoglass, they first said it would be 10 days before they could come out but i could come to them
so i did
wrong windscreen
booked again, to go to them
wrong screen again
3rd time and time was getting desperate
you guessed it, wrong screen again but i didn't have an option but to get it fitted
apparently i've got a mk2 mondeo

pay the excess, get them to come to you, with the correct screen, hopefully