General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Speed Sensing Module pre-90's ford XR3i-1.6i etc..Purpose/testing advice

Search this Thread

Old 23-11-2015, 06:22 PM
fordsteve77
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Speed Sensing Module pre-90's ford XR3i-1.6i etc..Purpose/testing advice

Right chaps got a question about the old speed sensing module
I take it its not a relay as it does not click like the relay does
It has 6 pins :

1= green/red from coil/radio suppressor
31e= brown/white from cold start injector
31b= brown/yellow thermal time switch
88a= red/black from over-run shut off valve
15= ignition live
31= earth

Picture added
I have 2 of these modules one is bosch part no. 0230280116 (hich was in car when purchased0
And bosch part no. 0230280113 which I purchased after.
sorry if I have several threads just doing trial error elimination
So I take it this takes signals from the above
is it like a relay that switches power etc...?
How can you test this...?
Old 25-11-2015, 06:15 PM
slider
Regular Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

the green/ red we know from other threads is a pulsed signal from the coil

brown white is the negative to the cold start injector, the +12v for this injector comes from the starter motor solenoid wire as it only fires when the engine is cranking.
brown/yellow would be a input from the thermal time switch, this switch gives its output
for a maimum of 5 seconds only when the sensor is below 35degrees(should have this stamped on it)
red/black is a positive output that switches the solenoid on for the over run valve, this should only operate when revs are above 1500rpm ad the throttle is closed, its designed to allow the metering head to shut when decelerating, modern ecus just shut off the fuel to the injectors so this is a crude version of that

so from the wiring i assume that it operates the cold start injector and the overrun valve, from youre previous threads it does sound like the cold start valve is probably working as it starts briefly, the overrun valve should be closed and this can be checked just by blowing through one of the big outlets on it, if you cant blow through it then its closed,

the cold start injector can also be easily tested by placing it in a plastic cup and cranking the engine and see if fuel comes out,

i have no idea how else you could test this unit, apologies if ive gone over stuff that youve already checked or stated the obvious.