General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Replacing the girlfriends car in July?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 07:01 AM
Bailes1992
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Replacing the girlfriends car in July?

I got my Missus a Citroen C1 on contract hire last July. Nice little car, came on a 12 month contract hire agreement. £500 deposit and £80/month. We would have paid less than the depreciation on it if we bought it outright.
Thing is Becca gets bored of cars quickly and she likes to play. She's also constantly worried about damaging the C1.

So what do we do?

My sensible head wants to buy the current C1 off Citreon Contract Hire as it's genuinely a nice little car but Becca doesn't want to keep it much longer than a year because she gets bored quickly.

We could just lease another car. You can get Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboosts with the jumped up 140bhp engine on a 24 month lease for £1000 deposit and £100 a month. But Becca says she's always worried about damaging a new lease car.

The other option she keeps mentioning to me is buying a ratty old car for £500 after Christmas and spending 6 months sorting it out.
We've been looking at some BMW E36s, E46s and E39s. We've found several cars with a 20i, 23i and 25i 6 cylinder engines which are advertised as starts and drives with a bit of MOT but cosmetically rough. We would buy with the plan to fit a Sport body kit and spray in a single stage Imola Red (DIY job, I've been playing with my compressor latley with some reasonable results). Sport wheels and a fresh MOT we could even look into selling it 12 -18 months time for a profit.
We also had a look at some Volvos and a few Volkswagens with an auto gearbox fault. We could take a punt and hope the gearbox just needs an oil & filter change. Or worst case scenario just throw a second hand unit in. Again 12-18 months and sell hopefully without loosing money.

What do you guys think? Think it's worth a punt trying to buy something old and sorting it out? Or should I just stick with a newer car for her?

Sam.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:00 AM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 86 Posts

I'm guessing you have the space for the car to sit while you do it up so I'd take a punt.

If it's fucked break it for parts and get your money back.
think them aim issue with auto boxes are incorrect oil/dirty oil or low oil.

Unless it's like the Mitsubishi FTO gear box then you're screwed.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:47 AM
mjonathan24
PassionFord Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You wont make money on the BMWs. The cost of the bits will soon add up. Buy her a decent 2nd hand car like a fiesta St or Citroën ds3 1.6 turbo if she wants something quicker.Then she doesn't have to worry if it gets a scratch.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:49 AM
burnzy
burnzy

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Some people get het up on new cars and having the newest number plates, I'd never buy a new car unless I had cash pouring out my mattress

If you work it out minus the deposit you've paid £960 for the privalidge of driving someone else's car, yes warranty is included but if your savvy with a spanner then you better off fixing it yourself anyway, iv just been on the lookout for a cheap car for work and picked up a 53 plate Colorado red Mondeo 2.0 tdci zetec S estate for £550, it's been used as a skip and it ran rough(aux belt and lack of servicing), spent ~£450 doing it up and have a fully serviced and running mint 2.0 tdci Mondeo estate zetec S all for £1000, I was looking at ropier cars for £1500 on auto trader.

Basically if your prepared to work for it then there is some bargains to be had, I once purchased a e39 530d with full service history and it was really clean, it was missing on a couple of cylinders and pouring blue smoke out the back, bit of research showed the CCV blocks and injectors are an issue, went to look at it, did some checks took a bit of a gamble and came out trumps, a £25 CCV part and two new injectors saw it running mint, I used it for 30k miles and did a few bits to it along the way but sold it just shy of £500 more than I paid for it
Old 04-10-2015, 10:16 AM
Fullflush

Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

You have just set fire to the money you wasted on the last contract hire. If it is her money then tell her to do what she wants. If you are paying for it then I'd get her a banger and spend the least amount possible
Old 04-10-2015, 11:50 AM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

I love folks comments who don't understand contract hire

He has paid 960 or whatever it is to drive someone else's car yes, but like he said, had he bought that car with cash then sold it it would have cost him more in depreciation.

You guys are just moaning about new cars not contract hire

Contract hire in the right circumstances is cheaper than buying them selling.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:16 PM
burnzy
burnzy

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by It's Czech Mate
I love folks comments who don't understand contract hire

He has paid 960 or whatever it is to drive someone else's car yes, but like he said, had he bought that car with cash then sold it it would have cost him more in depreciation.

You guys are just moaning about new cars not contract hire

Contract hire in the right circumstances is cheaper than buying them selling.
For the OP his circumstances to me sound like his misses has wasted the money, she doesn't mind driving round in an older car and if the OP is savvy enough to be spraying and swapping boxes then he doesn't sound shy of holding a spanner or repairing what he's bought, in these circumstances I'd say he has wasted the cash.

If he didn't know what a spanner looked like and wanted a new car then your correct but this thread isn't titled "is contract hire any good for my circumstances"
Old 04-10-2015, 12:42 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Either way sack the Citroën off their fucking nasty things and it's only a matter of time until it falls apart and is worth less than a half eaten Kit-Kat
The following users liked this post:
It's Czech Mate (04-10-2015)
Old 04-10-2015, 12:46 PM
It's Czech Mate

Originally Posted by Burnzybubbles
For the OP his circumstances to me sound like his misses has wasted the money, she doesn't mind driving round in an older car and if the OP is savvy enough to be spraying and swapping boxes then he doesn't sound shy of holding a spanner or repairing what he's bought, in these circumstances I'd say he has wasted the cash.

If he didn't know what a spanner looked like and wanted a new car then your correct but this thread isn't titled "is contract hire any good for my circumstances"
It's still not wasted because any car will cost her money to drive whether she owns or not, and frankly if he's looking at a barely running BMW it will cost a fuck site more than that Citroen to own and run 👍🏻
Old 04-10-2015, 01:01 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

1.0ltr fiesta.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:09 PM
Bailes1992

This is the C1...

To buy it in that specification would cost over £11,000. After 12 months it would be worth £7,500. So we would have lost £3500.

The car cost us a £290 deposit and a £150 'admin' charge. Plus VAT. So the down payment was more like £528.
We are paying £82.71 a month for 11 months.

So in 12 months it would have cost us £1,437.81. £2000 less than the depreciation if we bought it outright.
I still think sub £1500 for a brand new car for 12 months is a bloody bargain!
We could easily plow through £1500 buying and sorting out an old 3 series.

Also she isn't wasting MY money. She's paying for it.
She's never had a brand new car and has always had old bangers. She's done the new car thing now and has decided it's not for her. It was the cheapest way of seeing how she got on with it.

I think the idea now is to get something for £500. If it's a right dog we can break it. If it's half decent it can be tidied up and she can run about in it until she gets bored. Hopefully we can sell without loosing money.
I would like her to get an E39 520i/23i/25i. Get Sport bumpers and trims on it and I can use her Fathers garage to spray it Imola red over the winter. We could end up with a smart looking motor if it all goes well. Although she's looking more at 3 series.

Originally Posted by Oranoco
Either way sack the Citroën off their fucking nasty things and it's only a matter of time until it falls apart and is worth less than a half eaten Kit-Kat
It's actually a Toyota.
Also, as someone who is a fan of PSA cars... They're no more unreliable than any other brand in my opinion.

Originally Posted by mjonathan24
You wont make money on the BMWs. The cost of the bits will soon add up. Buy her a decent 2nd hand car like a fiesta St or Citroën ds3 1.6 turbo if she wants something quicker.Then she doesn't have to worry if it gets a scratch.
Making money isn't a priority. I just wouldn't want to loose large amounts of money on old second hand cars. If we could change ever 12-18 months without loosing out on more than a few hundred here and there I'd be quite happy.
Although a DS3 or Fiesta ST is serious fucking money!
Old 04-10-2015, 03:02 PM
STEVEST24
ST by Name and by Nature

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I will stick up for the C1, we've had a Peugeot 107 for 7 years now and it's been a great car, as you say the main mechanicals are Toyota bits. We bought ours new, but we got better deal on a new one than if we bought a year old car. Our 107 is a cheap, no frills, but well built car, your new C1 and the new 108, are bit more sophisticated, but the new prices of them reflect that!

Like you I would never thought to buy a new car, but in this case we got a very good deal and as we intended to keep the car long term, the depreciation levels out abit.

Talking of depreciation I bought my Mondeo ST24 2nd hand from a Ford dealer years ago now, but that lost more money in 18 months than I have lost in the last 12 years of ownership, glad I didn't buy that new/list price, hope the first owner got good discount!
Old 04-10-2015, 04:00 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

I have had 4 cars that I have bought for the intention of being cheap bangers, just be careful what you buy. All cars I have bought have been mechanically good but a bit tatty and short mot's etc. Every one I have kept for 12-18 months, put a fresh mot on them and sold for profit.

The last one was a 51 plate tddi mondeo, bought for 450 with no mot, put a £30 caliper on the back and it went through an mot. I ran it for a year, got it filled with baby puke then after another mot I sold it for 550. Free motoring for a year.

It is the cheapest way to do it, now scrap value is fook all you can buy cheap bangers again rather than them going to the scrap yard.
Old 04-10-2015, 04:00 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

They certainly make them fucking ugly these days!!

deliberate styling or a consequence of gayer and gayer eu pedestrian safety bollocks?
Old 04-10-2015, 04:34 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Can't believe it has a reverse camera fitted.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:35 PM
JasonPD
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 101 Likes on 97 Posts

Some cheap run abouts, especially 20 yo premium brand cars can quickly become not that cheap but from your post it sounds like you'll be doing all the work and just need to pay for parts.

If she is happy to get another old car and is over the new car thing then it sounds like you need to get an old car again. Should after doing that she decides that fuel economy, reliability, easy to drive/park and all the other things associated with a new car is important then you can easily sell the Beamer and get another car on lease.

I'm trying to convince my dad to get rid of his 8 yo SUV and lease a micro car for £100 per month as it will work out cheaper for him after the running costs and his current car deprication costs are taken into account. Also, I think it would be nice for him to have a new car once in his life.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:50 PM
Adam-M
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 315 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by It's Czech Mate
It's still not wasted because any car will cost her money to drive whether she owns or not, and frankly if he's looking at a barely running BMW it will cost a fuck site more than that Citroen to own and run 👍🏻
I'm guessing by how much you care about car leasing you must be a car salesman?
Old 04-10-2015, 06:55 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by Bailes1992
It's actually a Toyota.
Also, as someone who is a fan of PSA cars... They're no more unreliable than any other brand in my opinion.
We had one as a courtesy car whilst my Mrs Peugeot was doing an impression of a yo yo in and out of the dealers with problems and we didn't get on well at all. Friends Wife's Citroën C3 has been a disaster and their C4 Picasso was another yo yo and did a clutch every 10-15k. The 207 when it goes will be last Peugeot/Citroën we have. Each to their own I guess.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:16 PM
It's Czech Mate

Originally Posted by Adam-M
I'm guessing by how much you care about car leasing you must be a car salesman?
Not at all, just makes me chuckle the same old folk who always wheel out the wasted money argument about pch on cars.

If you do your numbers it can be cheaper than owning/running the same vehicle if you purchased it and sold it depending on a few factors

If it helps I'm a finance manager and qualified management accountant
Old 05-10-2015, 08:15 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 393 Likes on 358 Posts

I got my Missus a Citroen C1 on contract hire last July. Nice little car, came on a 12 month contract hire agreement. £500 deposit and £80/month. We would have paid less than the depreciation on it if we bought it outright.
Thing is Becca gets bored of cars quickly and she likes to play. She's also constantly worried about damaging the C1.

So what do we do?

My sensible head wants to buy the current C1 off Citreon Contract Hire as it's genuinely a nice little car but Becca doesn't want to keep it much longer than a year because she gets bored quickly.

We could just lease another car. You can get Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboosts with the jumped up 140bhp engine on a 24 month lease for £1000 deposit and £100 a month. But Becca says she's always worried about damaging a new lease car.

The other option she keeps mentioning to me is buying a ratty old car for £500 after Christmas and spending 6 months sorting it out.
We've been looking at some BMW E36s, E46s and E39s. We've found several cars with a 20i, 23i and 25i 6 cylinder engines which are advertised as starts and drives with a bit of MOT but cosmetically rough. We would buy with the plan to fit a Sport body kit and spray in a single stage Imola Red (DIY job, I've been playing with my compressor latley with some reasonable results). Sport wheels and a fresh MOT we could even look into selling it 12 -18 months time for a profit.
We also had a look at some Volvos and a few Volkswagens with an auto gearbox fault. We could take a punt and hope the gearbox just needs an oil & filter change. Or worst case scenario just throw a second hand unit in. Again 12-18 months and sell hopefully without loosing money.

What do you guys think? Think it's worth a punt trying to buy something old and sorting it out? Or should I just stick with a newer car for her?

Sam.
After your girlfriend has been used to a new car with all the bells and whistles plus total reliability would she be happy with an old car that could become unreliable? Plus what is she going to use for transport in the time it will take you to do up an old car? If her car is important to make sure she gets to work on time etc and if you can afford the lease hire costs stick with it as it makes good sense.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:50 AM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

Id rather have the new economical reliable car on lease than taking my chances with a £500 banger.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:34 AM
natehall
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

id take the old car, really not a fan of not owning a car 100%.

We got stung by the credit crunch and learnt our lessons, 2 cars on Finance, Mortgage, Loans, overdrafts and credit cards - finance used wrong is the work of the devil!

And finance on a luxury item such as a car, is finance used wrong in my opinion.

Contract hire is different in my opinion in that your renting the car, and usually has much lower commitment lengths and hence is easier to get out of, but I still wouldnt waste my money on it

My 23 Year old Sierra may be old, but shes reliable, and the 15 year old focus is a little ropey with woodscrews helping to hold her vacuum tight whilst I remember to buy a rubber bung, but shes also reliable and neither car is a worry for me on a long journey. both serviced every 6k, and my annual budget for maintenance of both cars is just £500 and ive been underbudget for the last couple years
Old 05-10-2015, 09:16 PM
STAFFY OWNER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Christ that's an ugly Citroen.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:40 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

wrong bloody section...

Last edited by costina; 23-12-2015 at 09:39 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:42 PM
cossiestu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 150 Likes on 146 Posts

Never thought about contract hire before, but those figures don't seem to bad, if all you want is trouble free driving and a nice new car to smoke about in....?
Might look into it for our new family wagon, obviously would be considerably dearer for anything bigger...
Old 06-10-2015, 11:21 PM
mjonathan24
PassionFord Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sometimes you can drop on lucky, I saw a few deals on new Porsche 911s that were really reasonable.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:45 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

This is the C1...

Whens it getting painted because it looks shite in primer
Old 23-12-2015, 05:28 PM
Bailes1992

With my Girlfriends little Citreon C1 due to go back summer next year I was faced with the challenge of what to replace it with. Rebecca didn't seem to want another lease car, the constant worry of damaging it mixed with the sub 3 mile commute to work every day means she wanted another old car. The plan was to buy a new car in Spring for sub £500 to give me a month or two to get any work done on it before the C1 went.

A few weeks ago I found out a member of another forum I'm on had acquired a Citreon C4 (poor b****** :supafrisk: ) and he was thinking of selling his Wife's Astra. Knowing it was a well looked after car and it would be a suitable replacement for the C1 I sent a few messages across to him and arranged to go see it yesterday. I had a quick look over the car, played a game of chase his T5, decided it was a good car and headed home with it.

A 320mile round trip and I now have this outside my house.

The car is a 2003 Astra SRI 1.8 with 107k on the clock.
It drives well, goes very well and made the 160mile trip home absolutely fine.
The car does however need a few odds and ends so a list is building quite rapidly.
The post cat O2 sensor which got damaged when it was removed some time ago is going to need replacing. I also loaded the car up yesterday with 5 people and 2 suitcases and the front strut top bearings were crunching and knocking a little. I went to Harvester last night where there is a very bumpy bit of car park and there is a very slight drop link knocking noise on the front end.
However nothing major and much less than expected.
Old 23-12-2015, 05:55 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

How thoroughly underwhelming
Old 23-12-2015, 05:59 PM
STEVEST24
ST by Name and by Nature

Looks a nice one, my stepdad has an Astra Estate 2003 1.4 LS so similar vintage, had it just over a year now and it has been spot on. Nothing fancy, but for a vauxhall, it does feel a very solidily well built car.

Before that he had another Astra hatch 2003 1.6 8v, again was well built, but needed a new exhaust and radiator in time we had it but parts were cheap and easy to fit and engine was bit oily, so glad we swapped for the estate, can get more in and looks better imo.

If yours is as good as our 2 then you will be ok.
Old 23-12-2015, 06:12 PM
Bailes1992

It is indeed a completley underwhelming car. Something we had never even considered.
However, I knew the owner and I don't think I would have got a better car for £500. They don't have the rust issues MK1 Focus' have either.

I must admit though the interior feels reasonably well put together and thanks to a fairly low ratio 'box it's not too slow either. 0-60 comes up in 8.5s, I would consider that very reasonable.

My Auntie and Uncle had one of these a few years ago. On a T reg in Flame Pink, poverty spec with a 1.7TD engine. My Auntie and Uncle can't look after anything and after 5 years of not servicing it, pulling caravans and never putting more than £10 of diesel in at a time it finally died after the fuel pump croaked in 2007 and they labelled it as the most unreliable car ever.
Old 23-12-2015, 06:27 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

What's your mrs done to you to deserve 2 naff cars?

Seriously though for 500 you can't go wrong and it looks a tidy example. Run it until it breaks then throw it away and buy another.
Old 23-12-2015, 07:07 PM
STEVEST24
ST by Name and by Nature

Agree with you, my stepdad doesn't deserve a nice car as he just uses and abuses it, so as a family workhorse our Astra Estate is perfect. No rust on ours either and as you say the interior does seem well screwed together, no rattles etc.

A neighbour of ours has a Y reg one, owned from new and it still doing them a treat.
Old 23-12-2015, 07:34 PM
st220kyle

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Watch out for "Astra back".
Good buy though cant go wrong,
Old 23-12-2015, 08:42 PM
It's Czech Mate

Looks shit, I'd rather walk.

Enjoy ��
Old 23-12-2015, 09:21 PM
220tel
PassionFord Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

quite possibly the worst car i have ever driven, had one with 6 miles on the clock and it felt like 150k, could not wait to get out of the bucket of shit
Old 23-12-2015, 09:47 PM
stevos

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

Looks a good wee buy to me and as you said the equivalent ford would most likely be rotten.
If it's just a daily driver for the misses then you can't go wrong with that car. Parts are also cheap as chips.
Old 24-12-2015, 06:15 AM
STeve

Received 864 Likes on 692 Posts

christ apart from the nasty colour of that citroen to then buy her a astra you must really hate her
Old 24-12-2015, 06:27 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Disastra rous.
Old 24-12-2015, 09:54 AM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 86 Posts

Shitreon to a disastra.

You must hate her

Quick Reply: Replacing the girlfriends car in July?