General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

need advice regarding car garage not returning my calls

Search this Thread

Old 26-09-2015, 07:02 PM
rsguy
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advice regarding car garage not returning my calls

just need bit of advice regarding a car garage refusing to answer my calls about my car.

took my car into a garage for some bodywork repairs and respray and bumper repair 16 weeks ago.

I’ve just found out the company gaffer who i spoke to and took my car on has been locked up, and someone else is running and took over the firm.

i spoke to the guy who painted my car and he said he’s still trying to get someone to fit my bumpers etc as the boss is in prison.

however after me going down to garage this week its totally changed and the new owner showed me my car which was just parked right at back hidden away from sight in a paint booth and full of dust with bumper still removed and inside full of dust. looks like its been sprayed but thats it. and looks like its not been touched for ages judging by the mount of dust on and inside the car.

i spoke to new owner and he said he don’t want to touch the car as its nothing to do with him.

i told him I’ve tried to contact the guy who sprayed my car and his phones always switched off.

the new guy whos running the place he said leave it with me i will try and contact his brother.

this was last tuesday i rang him again today and he said he gave him my number and to ask his brother to call me but I’ve had no calls.

i feel like they are just mugging me off everytime i call. i even told the new owner of garage where my car is i will take it in bits and get repairs done by another garage and he said, i need to find out whats been done and what needs doing first. but everytime i call him he says hes still waiting to hear.

the new owner just says the car his nothing to do with him and he needs to talk to people that was involved with the car or says he’s spoke to his brother and they will call me, which they don’t call.

and when i try and call one of the guys who painted my car the phones always off. and i can’t phone the boss who i done the deal to repair all the car as i was told he’s locked up for 16 months.

just wondering whats the best thing to do. just want my car back now as its just sat in the garage in bits. and new owner does not want to touch it. and previous people are not avalible and guy who painted it his phones never turned on.

just want my car back now even in bits :-(
Old 26-09-2015, 07:05 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 258 Likes on 237 Posts

If he is adamant the car is nothing to do with him and he isnt able to contact the "boss" and genuine attempts have been made, get it out of there asap.

If it's nothing to do with him he should have no issue with you taking it. You dont owe any money to the new guy, and tell him you will settle any monies owed with the old guy whenever he gets in touch with you.
Old 26-09-2015, 08:44 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

Yes as above, take your log book and any other documentation and id with you and ask for the car back. If he refuses then I'm not sure where u stand then, maybe call the police or has to go to court? What car is it out of interest?
Old 26-09-2015, 08:57 PM
visa_broke
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 329 Likes on 308 Posts

yes get it out of there, no point in it sitting deteriorating more
Old 26-09-2015, 09:32 PM
rsguy
Regular Contributor

i want to get it out there now even in bits as its not been completed. trouble is guys the new owner wont let me move it as he said he needs to try and get in contact first with someone that worked on my car. i wish i could just go down there and just get it out of there but its his property.

the guy who number i had who sprayed my car his phones always off. done a quick check on company and think it said the boss who took my car in to repair has resigned? not sure hw you can find out if someone else has boughtthe Business.

im getting no where fast. gutted car in a right state when i went down and full of dust and bumpers still off car unfinished..

my mate said call trading standards?? just not sure what to do next. just want to get a transporter and it out of there, but its his facility and not going to let me just take it. very angry.

Last edited by rsguy; 26-09-2015 at 09:34 PM.
Old 26-09-2015, 09:35 PM
JasonPD
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 101 Likes on 97 Posts

Suggest to him you take car away as is and get it sorted/finished elsewhere. If they refuse suggest that you'll get trading standards involved.
Old 26-09-2015, 09:37 PM
JasonPD

Originally Posted by rsguy
i want to get it out there now even in bits as its not been completed. trouble is guys the new owner wont let me move it as he said he needs to try and get in contact first with someone that worked on my car. i wish i could just go down there and just get it out of there but its his property.

the guy who number i had who sprayed my car his phones always off. done a quick check on company and think it said the boss who took my car in to repair has resigned? not sure hw you can find out if someone else has boughtthe Business.

im getting no where fast. gutted car in a right state when i went down and full of dust and bumpers still off car unfinished..

my mate said call trading standards?? just not sure what to do next. just want to get a transporter and it out of there, but its his facility and not going to let me just take it. very angry.
Yes trading standards is the way to go

http://www.tradingstandards.uk/advic...icles-sum2.cfm
Old 26-09-2015, 09:37 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

go down with a mate and remove it.the new garage owner is not in a position to prevent you as by his own admission its nothing to do with him but if you feel there might be problems inform the police and tell them your expecting trouble, they'll probably attend with you.
its a bit more complicated than the usual non payment/shoddy work etc that trading standards would normal deal with. ive dealt with trading standards before with an old project car and they've told me a garage cant stop you removing your car as long as you've paid a fair price for work done up till now , anything outstanding would be a civil matter, but with it being new owners then I wouldn't think its anything to do with them now.

Last edited by fuzzy; 26-09-2015 at 09:44 PM.
Old 26-09-2015, 10:43 PM
rsguy
Regular Contributor

i did go down beggining of week with a mate and told him i want my car back, the guy said i need to try and get hold of a guy who worked on the car to see whats been done,

to be honest somethink just dont seem right about it. as the new used car sales garage my car is in has a workshop at back, yet the guy who previously worked at the garage and sprayed my car,said he,s trying to get someone to fit my bumpers when i spoke to him beginning of week after me constantly ringing him??

yet when i went down garage tuesday with my mate i mentioned it to the guy who has garage now he never knew anythink about it?

the respray guy he said he would def call me tuesday to let me know, and have not heard off him since and tryed calling him everyday and his phones switched off.

im just getting the run around as cant get hold of spray guy now and the guy whos now at garage says he will try and conact someone and call and let me know which he never does.

rang guy at garage again today, and he said he spoke with someone on tuesday after we left, later that day, apprantly the brother or friend who sprayed my car went into the garage and the new guy working there told them to call me, which they have not.

its not a cheap car and my only car so had no trasnport for 4 months so you can imagine i want it back, & just furious about the whole ordeal. police women i spoke for some advice to wernt much help they said write them a letter giveing them 7 days to return your car.

just getting fobbed off everytime i speak to the guy whos running the place now. leave it with me... leave it with me......etc ... etc

Last edited by rsguy; 26-09-2015 at 10:49 PM.
Old 26-09-2015, 10:49 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

If mentioning trading standards or the police doesnt gee him up, put it to writing to the guy that you're giving him 7 or 14 days etc to resolve this issue considering the amount of time he has already had, and state this time in writing too and that after that you will be taking the car, with the help of trading standards or the police.
And that his refusal to allow you to take your own car means until such time as it is returned, he is 100% responsible for the car, and liable for any damage or problems that may arise with the car being held there.

Legally as long as you make efforts or promise to pay for work done, he cannot refuse you taking the car.

but definitely push the onus onto him that if he insists on withholding it, he becomes liable for the safety etc of the car and if it's damaged it's entirely up to him to repair or refund monies to you for repairs.

Last edited by stevieturbo; 26-09-2015 at 10:51 PM.
Old 26-09-2015, 11:05 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

To be fair id probably contact the citizens advice bearau and see what they suggest
Old 27-09-2015, 05:27 AM
STeve

Received 864 Likes on 692 Posts

if the company has offically changed hands to need to simply get the car out of there, dont even try asking about fitting bumpers etc just get it out if he says no then ask why and contact all of the above options suggested by the guys, if the car has nothing to do with him why would he want to know whats been done unless he is wanting to charge you which makes its it something to do with him, fuck the painter GET IT OUT
Old 27-09-2015, 07:52 AM
mjonathan24
PassionFord Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Take the car, leave your number, then ignore their calls for 3 months like they have done to you.
Old 27-09-2015, 08:16 AM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

when did the police tell you to write a letter giving them 7 days to return your car?
Old 27-09-2015, 08:29 AM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

On the other hand if u paid the new garage owner for the work done on the car then when the original owner gets out of prison he can then send u the bill for the work he had done as its nothing to do with the new owner as he didn't do the work so you'd end up paying twice
Old 27-09-2015, 10:07 AM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

What car is it, or what sort of valve is it worth?

I'd go get the car ASAP before it goes missing, as the new owners will say not there problem IMO
Old 27-09-2015, 10:25 AM
BigChuck

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Do as the police say, give them the 7 day notice. then after 7 days turn up and collect the car. make sure u put it on paper that they are liable for any damages while the vehicle is in their possession and that you do intend to pay any money owed.

Start the process soon and don't mess about
Old 27-09-2015, 11:05 AM
Harris.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Id be down there taking it back if it was mine, if he cant give you the answers that's his problem .

Take the car and leave your number with the new owner and ask him to pass it on for you . its not your fault he's banged up .

Where are you based ?
Old 27-09-2015, 11:38 AM
RobbieBambino
Part of the Furniture

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

As said get the car out asap, if hes not interested as its nothing to do with him then he shouldnt have a problem with you taking the car away. Even if you have lost money on the job on the whole its better than losing the car completly. They sound like crooks so probably wouldnt hesitate in doing something dodgy with it
Old 27-09-2015, 11:46 AM
tony66
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Default car

as above-go and get it back,its either something to do with the new bloke or not.
if what you state above is factual you have no contract verbal implied or otherwise with the new gaffer-you will need to persevere -go down with a trailer/transporter and a witness or three and copies of documentation showing you own it-and a spare key if you have it-if they dont comply phone the police and report it stolen and tell them you know where it is and you are trying to get it back
i wouldnt pay a penny for the work if car has lain for ages,you have lost the use of it etc,not your fault he has been locked up
Old 27-09-2015, 05:13 PM
rsguy
Regular Contributor

yeah new owner said he knows guys brother and gave him my number apprently when he went in tuesday after we left and was suppost to call me. but guess what .......no calls...
think im just going to go down there and demand my car back and say im not leaving till i take it and phone police to say theres going to be trouble if he refuses.

this is just as long as my mate can take me that is, as hes always busy. if he cant guess i will have to just phone my insurers to see what they say and take it from there.
Old 27-09-2015, 05:31 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Telling the police you're going to cause trouble, is a little silly.

Tell them you are trying to get your car but they are refusing and effectively they have stolen your car by preventing you from accessing it
Old 27-09-2015, 07:58 PM
JasonPD

Be interested to hear how you get on. Throw all the threats of the police and trading standards at him but just turn up with a mate and a transporter and take your ride back. I wish you the best of luck that it works out ok.
Old 27-09-2015, 08:14 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

do what the police advised about the 7 day letter then on the 7th day turn up with a mate and trailer to remove. best to play it by the book then youll have the coppers on side if it gets awkward.
Old 27-09-2015, 08:43 PM
rsguy
Regular Contributor

thanks guys for the advice,

to be honest im scared to wait the 7 days now. incase they move it, before i go back after 7 days.

will see if my mate will drop me down tommorow as tell him i want my car back now. im not waiting any longer for the phantom phones calls and lieing promices to call me .....

cant really book a transporter as i might get down there and the guy might not play ball and tell me i cant move it.

guess if he wont let me move it when i get down there guess i will have to call police and say they are willfully holding my car without my concent.

will call my insurers and trading standards before i do anything see what they suggest, but im not prepaired to wait any longer as anything could happen to it now its under new owner.

Last edited by rsguy; 27-09-2015 at 08:44 PM.
Old 28-09-2015, 06:03 AM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

He can't have it both ways. It's either nothing to do with him I'm which case he has no right to hold it. Or it is and he needs to finish the job.

I would guess he's taken it over for the previous dodgy owner as a bit of a fiddle
Old 28-09-2015, 11:57 AM
rsguy
Regular Contributor

citizens advice were useless, they said need to write a letter for 7 days.

bit furious as thought they would be more help. trading standards no longer operate comsumer advice. plus my only mate with a car wont take me either down garage said hes busy and cant drop me down till thursday.

dont really want to call him and listern to the crap... i know whats comming before i call him, i will get someone to call you..leave it with me.... leave it with me..!

im real scared incase it goes missing but no one else to ask for advize tryed everyone apart from my insurance company. as not sure if they can really help.

want it out of there sat here biting my finger nails. darn wish i had more mates to help.

maybe a long shot asking but is there anyone in birmingham that could come down with me give me a lift if i pay there fuel.

Last edited by rsguy; 28-09-2015 at 01:01 PM.
Old 28-09-2015, 01:00 PM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

citizens advice were useless, they said need to write a letter for 7 days.

bit furious as thought they would be more help. trading standards no longer operate comsumer advice. plus my only mate with a car wont take me either down garage said hes busy and cant drop me down till thursday.

dont really want to call him and listern to the crap... i know whats comming before i call him, i will get someone to call you..leave it with me.... leave it with me..!

im real scared incase it goes missing but no one else to ask for advize tryed everyone apart from my insurance company. as not sure if they can really help.

want it out of there sat here biting my finger nails. darn wish i had more mates to help.
If your that worried either do as the police and citizens advice say or if you don't want to do that man up and go get the car.
Old 28-09-2015, 01:17 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

The police have told you 7 day letter so have CAB... Do it then tie up with your mate to go down and remove it . Sorted.
Old 28-09-2015, 01:28 PM
rsguy
Regular Contributor

just update. rang them and had a right go at them , they agreed i can take it away for 500. finally....

now just need to find a decent good garage that does jigging and body repair to fit my bumper back on ect.

Last edited by rsguy; 28-09-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Old 28-09-2015, 01:34 PM
3i Jim

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Time to get heavy.
Old 28-09-2015, 03:11 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

they agreed i can take it away for 500. finally....

500 for what and to who?

If to the bloke in jail for work done, cheque payable to him?

As bet the new bloke will pocket the 500, and may leave the original bloke after you for the work done cash still
Old 28-09-2015, 03:14 PM
tony66

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Default card

pay by card-find an issue stop payment...
pay by cheque-stop cheque

pay by cash wave goodbye to your dosh
Old 28-09-2015, 03:19 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

It's nothing to do with the guy so why pay him? This whole situation sounds more bent than a £9 note
Old 28-09-2015, 03:22 PM
Kop2381

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seriously fuck the £500 get down and get the car taken out & away.
Old 28-09-2015, 05:08 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

fuck paying 500 to someone who said its nothing to do with them.

Go there and just take it back. I would do as the pikies do and just rock up with the transporter and start loading it
Old 28-09-2015, 05:15 PM
visa_broke

Received 329 Likes on 308 Posts

definately sounds dodgy as hell, make sure you check everything is with the car and nothing is missing as you won't get a 2nd chance to get anything left behind
Old 28-09-2015, 05:22 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

what work has been done to the car? is it worth £500? I assume he'll give you a receipt and will take responsibility for the work should anything need fixed?
Old 28-09-2015, 07:30 PM
imnoteasy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What garage in brum is it.
Old 28-09-2015, 08:05 PM
st220kyle

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

This doesn't sound right at all, What have you actually had done? Whats stopping you from just turning up and taking the car?

Quick Reply: need advice regarding car garage not returning my calls