General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Timing belt squeak, Suspension squeak, Break squeak - please help!! :(

Search this Thread

Old 25-07-2015, 10:50 AM
ChelmsFORD Guy
Mondeo TDCi Mk4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Timing belt squeak, Suspension squeak, Break squeak - please help!! :(

Hi

Hopefully you can help me with some advice, i would really appreciate it!

I have a 57 Plate Mondeo 1.8L TDCi with approx 130,000 miles on the clock. I purchased this about six months ago, unfortunately it had no service history, however HPI, MOT checks etc all came back ok, and a friend came with me to check it out mechanically and gave it a thumbs up.

Generally the car has been reliable and i have had hassle free motoring, there are however three issues which i am hopeful are fairly small.

There is a loud high pitched squeaking coming from the engine where i accelerate in 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear. This is especially bad if i accelerate hard, the squeak lasts for a few seconds, then as the revs increase or i change up to 3rd/4th gear the noise disappears. The squeak seems to be at its worst when i have used the car for a longer drive then park up for an hour and re-start.

My assumption from looking on this site and others is that it is the timing belt which has become slack? I am also wondering whether it is worth getting the tensioner pulleys changed at the same time too? ....if not what else could it be?

There is a very annoying squeak coming from the nearside rear of the car. It seems to squeak over bumps, and be worse when others are sitting in the rear of the car. I did spray some WD40 over all the rear springs and it seemed to cure it for a few weeks until others were in the car and there was a bumpy road.

Again, from reading about others issues, i assume this is a rear bush/spring which is perished/cracked and needs changing? If so, should i get both sides changed at once?

Finally, (thanks for reading this far!) my breaks are squeaking terribly. The issue seems to get much worse on hot days, to the point where is sound like a train coming into a station when i pull up! My friend who looked at the car when i purchased it was down for a weekend (he has now moved!) looked at the pads/discs and thinks they are NOT warped, he is suggesting the breaks may need a bit of copper grease on the rear and that may cure the issue.

What are your thoughts?

I am intending to take my car to a local garage near Chelmsford to ask for all of these issues to be fixed (after i have your answers), but do not want to get ripped off; with three separate issues in different areas the costs could easily mount. Have you got any rough idea of how much you would expect to pay for these to be fixed and length of job (eg. 1 day)?

Your help would be really appreciated - thank you in advance.

Sean
Old 25-07-2015, 08:09 PM
studabear
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 204 Likes on 192 Posts

That engine might have a wet belt that will need changing aswell as the cambelt. The wet belts are known to snap before their replacement interval.

My old manager had a mondeo the same as yours that made a weird squeak, a couple of the inlet manifold to head studs had snapped and was allowing boost to leak out.

The brakes really want a good strip down and check over/clean out if no faults are found.
The following users liked this post:
ChelmsFORD Guy (26-07-2015)
Old 26-07-2015, 03:59 AM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts
Default Timing belt squeak, Suspension squeak, Break squeak - please help!! :(

Just get a free health check at a few places and compare prices and faults they find? Without wasting garages time of course
The following users liked this post:
ChelmsFORD Guy (26-07-2015)
Old 26-07-2015, 07:39 AM
ChelmsFORD Guy
Mondeo TDCi Mk4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Thanks for the answers so far

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions.

I am hoping it is the timing (dry) belt rather than the wet belt as that should be a lot cheaper to resolve (finger crossed).

Do you have any idea about the squeak from the rear, most people i have spoken to seem to think it probably is a spring or bush that need changing?

As for the squeak on the breaks, that seems to be least concerning, but the loudest and most annoying squeak!

......any other help/ suggestions would be greatly received.