General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

RAC or AA

Search this Thread

Old 22-05-2015, 06:53 AM
3doorcozmess
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RAC or AA

Hello people

Who's with who?

I'm RAC but after they stiched me up I'm leaving plus my renewal is £143 for just road side recovery.

Also what happened to the days when you use to break down they would take you to your house no matter the distance? Now they only take you upto 10 miles which is no good.

Si
Old 22-05-2015, 07:09 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

I'm covered with the AA and as far as I know they would take me and the car home if I broke down.
Old 22-05-2015, 08:09 AM
london_chris

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

im an aa patrol, myself and my colleagues try our hardest to do the best we can, but when you hear stories of the attending person being hours and hours its not down to us but the deployment by the ppl in the offices! same for rac also unfortunately.
the people in the vans are genuinely only interested in helping you, but if your membership entitlement doesnt allow us to take you to where u need to be then nowadays because of tracking etc and every movement being watched and scrutinized its hard to bend the rules.
if you need explanation of the terms or cover,
roadside cover is a roadside repair if possible, or a local tow to a garage within 10 miles of the breakdown locaton,
relay, is national recovery regardless of distance,
home start is pretty self explanatory, we'll attend at home.

any questions, feel free to fire away.

it also pays to ring your provider each year at renewal and discuss premiums etc, if you can find another service from a rival they'll likely match or beat the price.
Old 22-05-2015, 08:46 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Its always been the case that the poverty option only covers 10 miles or so. I've never paid for breakdown seperate for insurance as to get decent cover costs too much independantly where as its at least half the price through the insurer.
Old 22-05-2015, 09:29 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Been with the aa for 19 years and the only time I had a problem they have me a free years membership

The RAC on the other hand said that if broken down to many times and refused to come out
Plus their call centre last asked if my can was manual or auto when I called in to report the clutch pedal had broken off lol
When the aa covered our ford there was never s problem but as soon as we went to Vauxhall and RAC it went to shit
Old 22-05-2015, 09:30 AM
dojj

Plus I've got family cover so it's me, the wife and both kids who get cards with the works package of roadside, relay, home start and something else for £120 a year
Old 22-05-2015, 09:33 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

I have AA Relay - been towed from Wales to Slough before - took fooking ages but at least i got home
Old 22-05-2015, 09:35 AM
gordyshreds
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been with the AA last 10 years and can't fault them. Probably broken down maybe 10 times during my time and have been seen to within half hour (think sub 5 minutes was quickest!) and have always had good service and a bit of a laugh with the tech. Always get the cover that takes you to your destination, not the nearest garage!
Old 22-05-2015, 11:24 AM
andy.v
PassionFord Regular

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

with the AA, been with em 4 years, used once. no bother
Old 22-05-2015, 01:25 PM
salsheikh

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I've been with the RAC many years now and come renewal time if there is a better deal/cashback option i ring them and they tend to price match. I've got the full package with them so me and the wife are covered no matter what car we are in.
Old 22-05-2015, 05:54 PM
kyle_st200
PassionFord Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I borrowed my dads car and broke down because the alternator seized. I rang the aa as I had cover with my bank and they very kindly towed me to my sisters which was about 18miles away I only had the 10 mile cover so I gave the driver a drink for doing it. Looked into joining and it was going to be near on £200 as I needed towing home so left it at my sisters and joined the RAC as the aa wouldn't of covered this fault as it was already logged with them. Left it a few days and put the call in, turned up pretty quick (was a Sunday night) he diagnosed the alternator that I'd already said it was and towed me all the way home no probs.
Was working in Manchester in my corsa van and it started struggling to start anyway got going on the m62 and the eml came on so went to my sisters again in Leeds and rang the RAC just for them to check it as I'd sooner wait at hers than at the side of the motorway if it stops. Tried to start it at hers and nothing so thought it was alternator. Guy comes out and turns out its starter motor, said I'd drive it home and fix it the next day and he said that's the best thing to do as because it was on coilovers he couldn't tow it. It's not stupidly low I got the impression he didn't want to have to do a 200 mile round trip so something to bear in mind. Might go with aa when it renews as I always have lowered cars unless they have the same policy?
Old 22-05-2015, 07:53 PM
studabear
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 204 Likes on 192 Posts

I'm with the RAC, when I had severe engine trouble on way to ford fair last year they were very good, car is lowered and it went on all 3 recovery vehicles with no issues. Nearly 7 hours to get home but all the people I dealt with were spot on.
Old 23-05-2015, 02:57 PM
JasonPD
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 101 Likes on 97 Posts

I'm with the AA - always had a great service with them. Try topcashback.co.uk and you can earn yourself cashback when signing up to them on top of the AA's introductory discount, which is nice.
Old 23-05-2015, 03:14 PM
simon2781

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AA is wicked, had them through my bank for years and then realised that directly its only a fiver a month for the same level of cover (half price). Roadside, that's always been enough for me luckily. Rac quoted me huge cos my fiesta is over ten years old, so I didnt bother.
Old 24-05-2015, 05:46 AM
B19 JUB
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by london_chris
im an aa patrol, myself and my colleagues try our hardest to do the best we can, but when you hear stories of the attending person being hours and hours its not down to us but the deployment by the ppl in the offices! same for rac also unfortunately.
the people in the vans are genuinely only interested in helping you, but if your membership entitlement doesnt allow us to take you to where u need to be then nowadays because of tracking etc and every movement being watched and scrutinized its hard to bend the rules.
if you need explanation of the terms or cover,
roadside cover is a roadside repair if possible, or a local tow to a garage within 10 miles of the breakdown locaton,
relay, is national recovery regardless of distance,
home start is pretty self explanatory, we'll attend at home.

any questions, feel free to fire away.

it also pays to ring your provider each year at renewal and discuss premiums etc, if you can find another service from a rival they'll likely match or beat the price.

im an RAC patrol and couldn't put it better myself.your entitled to what you pay for.if people only have the basic cover which is roadside and want to go 10 miles ill tow them 10 miles and if on a motorway etc ill tow them to a place of safety not just down the road a bit lol.

Old 24-05-2015, 08:16 AM
kyle_st200
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by B19 JUB
im an RAC patrol and couldn't put it better myself.your entitled to what you pay for.if people only have the basic cover which is roadside and want to go 10 miles ill tow them 10 miles and if on a motorway etc ill tow them to a place of safety not just down the road a bit lol.

Is there a policy about not towing lowered cars or did I get fobbed off??
Old 24-05-2015, 08:24 AM
jamie956

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by kyle_st200

My mate had this with the RAC after Central day they wouldn't recover the car due to having 17'' wheels on, classed it as modified and said it invalid the policy.
Old 24-05-2015, 08:40 AM
studabear
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 204 Likes on 192 Posts

Mine is lowered, when I killed the engine I had it on the spec lift in the back of the transit, then on a isuzu small flat back, then on a massive flat bed for for the final 100miles.
Name:  breakdown_zpsa188ece5.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  69.6 KB

When I phoned them up to request help iirc they asked if it was lowered, I told them it was and that it could drive onto the 4 post ramps where I work with no issues.
The patrol fella that did the last part of the relay told me they can get high end sports cars on in most cases.

Last edited by studabear; 24-05-2015 at 09:03 AM.
Old 24-05-2015, 09:02 AM
kyle_st200
PassionFord Regular

My dads Porsche got recovered with the aa so can't see why my corsavan couldn't get recovered as it's not stupidly low the top of the arch is just above the tyre. I did get the sense he didn't want to recover me but I'd already said if it was the starter motor is drive it home anyway but he made this big point of it being lowered. If that's the case there's no point me being with them
Old 24-05-2015, 11:04 AM
Adam-M
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 315 Likes on 288 Posts

The AA sounds good then, might get a quote for the saphs and the fiesta just incase lol.
Old 24-05-2015, 08:37 PM
robp-tt
ZETEC TURBO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ime with the rac and there good, had a issue with a cv joint causing the car to be recovered home,they picked me up just by Cambridge and took me all the way to Southampton, first bloke wound my coilovers up so he could get it in his speclift and didnt moan atall about the car being modded, then got put on to a lowloader for the rest of the journey
Old 26-05-2015, 06:56 AM
B19 JUB
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kyle_st200

poss got fobbed off.if I go out to a car that's lowered and need a recovery I just note it that's its lowered so appropriate truck can be sent out
Old 26-05-2015, 07:16 AM
london_chris

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Quotes can be obtained for AA through my work associated page if you dont mind?

Www.theaa.com/patrol/80333
Old 26-05-2015, 07:29 AM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I had a shocking experience with RAC and will not be using them again. Broke down in Feb, explained what the problem was and that the car needed recovery. 3 hours later a tiny van arrives and the guy says "that needs recovery". 3 more hours past and a sub contractor rocks up to change my puncture. WTF. Gets grumpy when I tell him the engine's seized and he tells me lowered cars should be illegal. Grumpy guy then applies the handbrake so hard the handbrake won't release. Obviously I complained and got fob off after fob off until I get a call to say they completed their investigation, which as far as I can tell meant asking their contractor who denied it, and the case was closed.

I will not be using them again EVER!

Last edited by Oranoco; 26-05-2015 at 07:31 AM.
Old 26-05-2015, 09:33 AM
dojj

When are you due the renewal? Might be worth playing the game with them and the AA but if you are never going to use them again then even its it's free the cover won't be worth the paper it's written on lol

My free year was when I was on the way to the middx rolling road day at power engineering and the winged beast was going to get put on the rollers
All of a sudden it cut out in the middle of a busy roundabout and caused enough traffic to be reported on local radio lol
The AA on the phone said that they couldn't recover it as it was "in a dangerous location" and to call plod via 999 and get it moved
After all this plod couldn't move the car either, big heavy bastard thing, but after about 20 minutes it fired up again and so I drove it home
When it came to the renewal time I called up and explained all this and the fact that's son was in the car who was 5 or 6 at the time and I was horrified that the one time I needed the 4th emergency service they couldn't help

Cue free years membership for the entire family and a second year at 50% discount

The only thing I didn't get was that thing where you get to stay in a hotel but me, the Mrs and both kids are covered for any vehicle they are travelling I so essentially I could call them out on 4 different motors all at the same time
Old 26-05-2015, 09:55 AM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Been with the AA all the time ive been driving. Have full cover & have never had a complaint about service. Been picked up outside Brunters twice & trailered home with my pit crew .
Old 26-05-2015, 11:04 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

I will say it depends which muppet you get on the phone.

The one thing that pisses me off is the standard policy it seems to send a van, no matter how fucked the car is rather than send a recovery wagon straight away.

I guess they arent used to mechanically minded people but it does annoy me when i told them what was wrong and that they cant fix it, they cant tow it on 2 wheels (4wd) and they still send a van. On a couple of occasions the van has been on scene only as long as it takes to play with the computer to order the flatbed often the driver gets told all sorts of shit from the operator about whats wrong (stuff i didnt say? wtf?) so when i say xyz has broke, unless youve got spares it needs towing, the driver is usally as miffed as me at why he was sent!!

So a pointless 2 hour wait for a van that couldnt help in the first place, whereas They could have had me halfway home had they sent the flatbed straight away.

Thats happened with both AA and RAC.