General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

vic check category c being abolished

Old 26-04-2015, 05:20 PM
cabriolet
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default vic check category c being abolished

have heard thru the grapevine in October there will be no more vic on category c cars can anyone shed any light on this
Old 26-04-2015, 05:29 PM
STeve

Received 864 Likes on 692 Posts

Arguments brought to the Governments attention over the past few years by the Motor Vehicle Dismantlers Association (MVDA) have been recognised and from October 2015 the check will no longer be required to return a written off vehicle back onto the road after an accident.
Transport minister Stephen Hammond announced it would be easier and cheaper to return a vehicle to the road thanks to the red tape being abolished which will also save the tax payers millions of pounds.
Introduced in 2003 the checks were designed to stop “ringing” a process by which criminals swapped the identity of damaged cars with stolen vehicles of a similar make and model.
The cost to the taxpayer has been staggering. During the past 10 years there has been 717,000 vehicle identity checks made and has resulted in only 38, YES 38 positive results and that some of these were already known. The real cost of the scheme was probably in excess of £125m. That’s over £3 million for each vehicle detected.
Since 2003 there have been over 3.2 million VIC categorised vehicles but only 717,000 actually checked, so where are the rest? No one seems to know, not even the DVLA who we would expect to have the information.
Stephen Hammond said “It’s clear the scheme isn’t doing its job and it is hitting the honest motorist in the wallet. The VIC scheme is nothing more than unnecessary red tape, which is why we are getting rid of it.”
From consultation responses it seems many people thought the VIC check was a repair quality check. This has never been the case, although this is what may be needed.
As part of the VIC working group the MVDA will continue to consider various options including re-educating the public and identifying what if anything should replace the VIC as a means of issuing a registration document following a write off.
Old 26-04-2015, 05:30 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

There was consultation on Scrapping or changing it a couple of years ago and not many were in favour of keeping it;

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...-responses.pdf

So it's quite likely that it's going to change somehow.
Old 26-04-2015, 05:57 PM
cabriolet

thanks 1pd have already seen that as I work in a breakers but no one will confirm what is going to happen next have a cat c im repairing but there is a 3 month waiting list for vic where I am and my daughter don't need the car until October time
Old 26-04-2015, 06:38 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Sorry for jumping in here, but seems the right person is posting in here mr cabriolet.

what sort of financial cost is required to cat c a car?

know someone who went to look at a 70k+ second hand car. That's cat c. And the sellers is showing an invoice for 6ks worth of damage repairs?

Last edited by Fil; 26-04-2015 at 06:40 PM.
Old 26-04-2015, 08:41 PM
cabriolet

when you have a cat c car the vic is not a check on the repairs it is a vehicle identity check hence vic the check is less than 50 quid hope this is the information you need fil
Old 26-04-2015, 09:23 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Cat C gets misused a lot on older cars. Ive seen cars with a damaged bumper cat C'd which is fucking rediculous.
Old 27-04-2015, 12:03 PM
chris cdti

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Cat c just means its not economic to repair.
Old 28-04-2015, 12:21 AM
James Porter
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by chris cdti

Exactly this.

The thing that writes most cars off is not actually the cost of the parts but the labour.

Another thing I've seen a lot is cars that have minor damage that are involved in a dispute over fault/non fault claims & spend months in storage at £25 a day, that's payable by who ever is at fault so many are again "written off".
Old 28-04-2015, 07:44 AM
PAUL S
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Looking at those figures then surely the vic check is actually working, as only a small proportion of cat c cars put back on the road turned out to be ringers, the actual check is stopping people ringing the cheapest version of salvage cars, which is what it was meant to do. It seems most cat c cars just get broken up rather than put back on the road, the check is doing exactly what its meant to do.

A cat D is more expensive to buy in the first place so not the best to use as a ringer, with the check removed far more cat c scrappers will now be used as ringers again.
Old 28-04-2015, 04:23 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Fil
Sorry for jumping in here, but seems the right person is posting in here mr cabriolet.

what sort of financial cost is required to cat c a car?

know someone who went to look at a 70k+ second hand car. That's cat c. And the sellers is showing an invoice for 6ks worth of damage repairs?
Originally Posted by chris cdti

if so, then it would seem the 6k repairs is bullshit then? on a 90k+ pre accident car.
Old 28-04-2015, 05:09 PM
chris cdti

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Fil
if so, then it would seem the 6k repairs is bullshit then? on a 90k+ pre accident car.
The official repair price may have been a lot higher with labour rates and parts etc Also costs such as storage, legal fees, recovery costs, hire cars, personal injuries and so on bump up the cost to the insurance company.