General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

sorn -beware all new buyers...

Search this Thread

Old 18-04-2015, 11:12 AM
tony66
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Default sorn -beware all new buyers...

dvla have a new glitch...one which produced unjustified fines please read as it may effect someone on here

when purchasing a vehicle say middle of month you sorn it[in my case 3 times -2 motorcycles and a classic car]... they do the document change and it becomes untaxed from the beginning of that month-their glitch overrides that sorn-so a month or so later you get a backtax demand from the robbing gits,so when you re-check your sorned vehicle it shows untaxed[despite showing due diligance and sorning it immediately..]
the fines arent valid-they are due to a glitch in the system,so if you get one phone them on the number on the fine letter-i was told mine are sorted but i wouldnt be surprised to recieve further communication
this new system is so poor its unworkable imho,paperless is fine but you can check a vehicle is taxed online and it may seem fine-check a day or so later and it shows untaxed for a month or so previous particularly if the previous owner is slow at sending the v5 away
The following users liked this post:
Rascly (18-04-2015)
Old 19-04-2015, 09:24 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 258 Likes on 237 Posts

Sounds like a similar novelty I noticed a while back.

https://passionford.com/forum/genera...ax-refund.html
Old 19-04-2015, 11:43 AM
tony66
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Default sorn

they told me over the phone that its a glitch with the new system
when i sorn a vehicle i generally write the sorn number and place it in the relevant paperwork-strangely when i called them they had the relevant info to hand [ie info that i had sorned the car on appropriate date-day of purchase in my case].
when i asked they conceded the fine letters should not have been generated...if this was a "normal" private company it would be deemed as fraud/or a scam
i"ve been told its sorted-but the way their automated system works i wont be surprised to recieve further escalated demands
Old 19-04-2015, 04:07 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

The late licensing penalty office are separate to the dvla so things aren't always as easy as you would think

When they start spouting about going to court just say "see you there then" and they normally back down