General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Top Gear - JC suspended

Search this Thread

Old 24-03-2015, 10:58 PM
cossiestu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 150 Likes on 146 Posts

Various sources saying he will be sacked tomorrow....?
Old 25-03-2015, 01:33 PM
STAFFY OWNER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Chris Evans has said that all of the speculation linking him to the show are untrue.
Old 25-03-2015, 02:14 PM
r06ert
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

been confirmed by BBC News - he has been sacked
Old 25-03-2015, 02:19 PM
Less.
having a mid life crisis

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Please not Chris Evans is all I hope
Old 25-03-2015, 02:23 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 186 Likes on 146 Posts

Bye bye Jezza. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the other two call it a day as well.
Old 25-03-2015, 02:29 PM
Staffi
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 107 Likes on 96 Posts

Thank fuck he's gone, vile creature. Now Pinky & Perky will prowls you walk.
Old 25-03-2015, 02:37 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by massivewangers
Bye bye Jezza. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the other two call it a day as well.
Whatever you think of Clarkson - it's a MASSIVE own goal by the BBC. The franchise brings in more money than just about any other BBC programme (and more than ALL the radio stations combined) and is a very important asset on their balance sheet. At a time when the whole issue of BBC licence fees are up in the air is seems madness to effectively cut off one of your main revenue streams.
Old 25-03-2015, 02:47 PM
Staffi
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 107 Likes on 96 Posts

Dan, there are other talented folks that could and will take his place, yes it'll take a while but I'm sure with the right clientele chosen Top Gear will survive, he has gotten away with way too much stuff the past year or so, so for me the correct decision has been made.
Old 25-03-2015, 03:00 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by Staffi
Dan, there are other talented folks that could and will take his place, yes it'll take a while but I'm sure with the right clientele chosen Top Gear will survive, he has gotten away with way too much stuff the past year or so, so for me the correct decision has been made.
It's not a question of whether anyone else can do the job, I doubt anyone will disagree with that. TG isn't likely to carry on. The BBC have already commissioned a 'new' motoring show - Which while it may become popular isn't going to be anywhere near as profitable as TG was. My comment is purely based on the finances of the decision, not on the politics of whether Clarkson's a saint or a sinner.

I suspect a different channel will snap all three of them up, and some other TV company will make an absolute killing!
Old 25-03-2015, 03:35 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 186 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
Whatever you think of Clarkson - it's a MASSIVE own goal by the BBC. The franchise brings in more money than just about any other BBC programme (and more than ALL the radio stations combined) and is a very important asset on their balance sheet. At a time when the whole issue of BBC licence fees are up in the air is seems madness to effectively cut off one of your main revenue streams.
Oh yeah, agreed. They were backed into a corner though sadly. If he did hit someone, they didn't have too much choice. Given the pressure they're under, I think there would have been uproar if he'd stay. Massive issue for them though, going to lose them a lot of cash.

I suspect a different channel will snap all three of them up, and some other TV company will make an absolute killing!
Agreed again. I don't see the other two staying.

He may have been an obnoxious so-and-so, but it was still better than most of the other crap that's broadcast.

No other presenter could have filled the role without them having to change the format.
Old 25-03-2015, 03:41 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Its putting Moral judgement before money & im glad to see it. The BBC was around before him & will be around long after. A few car nuts will mourn him the vast majority will not. You guys are giving a distorted view of his importance. Im a Petrolhead but from an older generation than most on here. I thought him & his puppets were just horrible never getting to grips with his pranks & thinking what has this to do with my love of cars.
Im an old fart I guess but so are the people who made this decision its the correct one.
Old 25-03-2015, 03:50 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

As dan said, massive financial own goal. Its not just the direct revenue from the UK shows, but the foriegn broadcasting, foriegn versions of the show that are in essence a franchise, the magazine, gifts, live shows etc etc.

I like the way the police have asked for the report clarkson could do a prison blog
Old 25-03-2015, 04:03 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by Rod-Tarry
The BBC was around before him & will be around long after.
It will, but seeing it as an untouchable institution is very naive. Can you imagine the uproar if the Government told everyone that they had to pay for Netflix? So why should we pay for the BBC? Programmes like Top Gear (putting aside the Clarkson debacle for a moment) prop up the BBC and allow it to produce great programmes which go some way towards justifying the license fee.

At a time when there are a great many people calling for the license fee to be abolished - it's a risky strategy cutting off such a big revenue stream.

The fact that they've (on the face of it) chosen the moral high ground is to be applauded, but at what cost to the BBC...
Old 25-03-2015, 04:09 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 86 Posts

Shag children get protection for decades.
Slap an Irishman lose your job.

BBC logic I guess.
Old 25-03-2015, 04:15 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by Carlos-Titx
Shag children get protection for decades.
Slap an Irishman lose your job.

BBC logic I guess.
Or maybe they've learnt their lesson and can't keep covering for the fact that Clarkson bullies his staff (this wasn't an isolated incident, it was just carried out in public, so has become public knowledge).
Old 25-03-2015, 04:19 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Shows more incompetence by the bbc then if he's been bullying staff for so long and got away with it.

That's all I watch of the bbc programming so wonder what the trio will be doing next?
Old 25-03-2015, 04:21 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

That's all I watch of the bbc programming so wonder what the trio will be doing next?
There will be a LOT of offers on the table for the three of them. I doubt there's a TV channel who wouldn't want them!

Last edited by DanW@FastFord; 25-03-2015 at 04:29 PM.
Old 25-03-2015, 04:23 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Massive mistake for the Beeb

Motoring shows are not that popular hence 5th gear getting low audience etc, so expecting to replace Top Gear and keep the viewers wont happen.

For those commenting on JC and the guys ruining a car show for them, they need to realise it was never a car show anyway, Top Gear was an entertainment show that happened to have cars in it and was all about the 3 stooges, it could have been a farming show and would still have worked with those 3

Agreed, there needed to be dicipline after punching someone, but sacking is the ultimate and it didnt have to go that far, but this is just the excuse the BBC needed, they've been trying to remove him for ages. Depite several decades of hiding paedophiles etc but hey thats the BBC, uniquely funded by us.

A big decision to give up Ł67m per year for the BBC with the 3 stooges likely to go elsewhere and take viewers with them.
Old 25-03-2015, 04:25 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Bet he's kicking him self that he sold his majority share now.
Old 25-03-2015, 04:30 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

He didn't do too badly out of it though!
Old 25-03-2015, 04:32 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Probably has enough to start a new motoring entertainment show haha.
Old 25-03-2015, 04:34 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

I'll bet he's laughing.....it'll be worth fuck all soon
Old 25-03-2015, 04:39 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by It's Czech Mate
I'll bet he's laughing.....it'll be worth fuck all soon
Didn't thhink of it that way!

Millions of viewers lost and millions of pounds lost.
Old 25-03-2015, 05:02 PM
STeve

Received 864 Likes on 692 Posts

ITV have always been missing a quality Car show from its listings and if they have any business sense they will be knocking a certain door in chipping norton, love him or hate him, is there a better well connected car tv personality than JC, loved james mays response to decision on sky news

Last edited by STeve; 25-03-2015 at 05:04 PM.
Old 25-03-2015, 05:02 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by Lord Melbury
However, I'm just saddened that the trivial Sunday evening distraction of Top Gear has been snatched away, yes yes, I know it's painfully staged & choreographed, to the point of being a parody of itself, with Clarkson being more & more outrageous to accommodate the publics expectations of him. I simply enjoyed watching the program, because it was amusing.
I think this quote perfectly sums up how I feel about it. There is no justification for his actions, and the BBC took the only option available to them, but it's still annoying.

Clarkson definitely sold at the right time now! If you could have got shares in Top Gear they'd now be pretty much worthless!
Old 25-03-2015, 05:12 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

top gear was around log before Jeremy Clarkson . reformat and carry on. the brand is bigger than 1 man.
biggest dilemma is that zayn maliks left 1 direction!
Old 25-03-2015, 05:41 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by fuzzy
top gear was around log before Jeremy Clarkson . reformat and carry on. the brand is bigger than 1 man.
biggest dilemma is that zayn maliks left 1 direction!
It was a small proposition pre-Clarkson, and it will become a much smaller proposition without him. As has been said TG was no longer a car programme, it was a programme about three blokes messing about. Change the blokes and you no longer have the programme.
Old 25-03-2015, 06:07 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

It was a small proposition pre-Clarkson, and it will become a much smaller proposition without him. As has been said TG was no longer a car programme, it was a programme about three blokes messing about. Change the blokes and you no longer have the programme.
And thats a lose how ? If things were supposed to say the same we would all still running around with skateboards Many people have moaned how stale it had became so I suspect more couldnt careless if he stayed or went than that poxy petition
Old 25-03-2015, 06:09 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

people get set in their ways and don't like change. the old top gear was of a different era. I don't think its to difficult to have another similar motoring/entertainment combo program with different presenters and you never know, give it a few episodes and people might have forgotten all about Jeremy Clarkson altogether because its much better!
Old 25-03-2015, 06:11 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 258 Likes on 237 Posts

People may have moaned...but at some point they still watched it.

When there is feck all on, even old programs on Dave are worth having on the tv in the background
Old 25-03-2015, 06:12 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 258 Likes on 237 Posts

Lets remember how bad it was years ago, with this silly bint waving her head about like a nodding dog.

Old 25-03-2015, 06:13 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Originally Posted by fuzzy
people get set in their ways and don't like change. the old top gear was of a different era. I don't think its to difficult to have another similar motoring/entertainment combo program with different presenters and you never know, give it a few episodes and people might have forgotten all about Jeremy Clarkson altogether because its much better!
This is it do you really watch it because theirs a over weight old gimp on there or to see the cars ect ! There are plenty of people to make that show probably better
Old 25-03-2015, 06:15 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Lets remember how bad it was years ago, with this silly bint waving her head about like a nodding dog.

Old Top Gear Women & Driving - YouTube
Dont get the point there Steve that was then this is now and he can be replaced easily matter of fact fuck them all off and start fresh
Old 25-03-2015, 06:40 PM
uruk hai
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All his own fault, he left the BBC no choice but to let him go. When you spit your dummy out its only a matter of time before you come unstuck, he acted like a knob and got what was coming to him. The BBC now have a good opportunity to breath new life into what was a very tired and worn out format.

Well done the BBC and People who are suggesting it was a financial own goal have missed the point, he committed an assault and left them no choice what so ever !
Old 25-03-2015, 06:50 PM
Ridgey
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay,
This is it do you really watch it because theirs a over weight old gimp on there or to see the cars ect ! There are plenty of people to make that show probably better
Totally agree
Old 25-03-2015, 07:23 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Rod-Tarry
Its putting Moral judgement before money & im glad to see it. The BBC was around before him & will be around long after. A few car nuts will mourn him the vast majority will not. You guys are giving a distorted view of his importance. Im a Petrolhead but from an older generation than most on here. I thought him & his puppets were just horrible never getting to grips with his pranks & thinking what has this to do with my love of cars.
Im an old fart I guess but so are the people who made this decision its the correct one.
You hit the nail on the head.
well put Rod.
Old 25-03-2015, 07:46 PM
sridgett
The only way is dagenham

Received 57 Likes on 56 Posts

Anybody hurd about Guy Martin to replace Jc?

Last edited by sridgett; 26-03-2015 at 06:25 AM.
Old 25-03-2015, 08:03 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by sridgett
Anybody hurd about Guy Martin to replace JE?
That would be awesome
Old 25-03-2015, 08:14 PM
zetecbeast
Under the car...!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good riddance.
As long as that p*nis Chris Evans doesn't get the gig.....
If he did I won't watch it again, can't stand him.
Guy Martin is the man for the job...

Can probably drive a bit too...
Old 25-03-2015, 10:08 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

who gives a crap about him or the programme? people died in a plane crash recently - get things in perspective please
The following users liked this post:
STAFFY OWNER (26-03-2015)

Quick Reply: Top Gear - JC suspended