General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Disabling Start/Stop more permentantly?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 06:39 PM
Bailes1992
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Disabling Start/Stop more permentantly?

My new Focus has the stupid start/stop system.

I've always started my cars and left them idle for 30s to a minute prior to driving to ensure oil has gotten everywhere required and always given turbocharged cars run down time or at least driven them gently for the last few miles or so to ensure the turbo isn't starved of oil when the engine is shut down. As a result you can probably see why I despise the start/stop technology.
I can't see how the engine shutting down seconds after you've potentially had the throttle wide open and then driving off instantly as the car restarts again will do anything for reliability. And I know about two weeks after the warranty ends I will press the clutch and the bloody thing won't start.

I know the start/stop can be disabled by pressing the button but I keep forgetting to press the button until the car has shut down at a traffic light.
Does anyone know if it can be disabled more permanently or even set as off by default on IDS?

Bailes.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:54 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Not necessary. I am sure the technical boffins at Ford know more about what is good for it than you (I don't mean to sound like a cunt lol).

Just get in and drive it. Leaving it on cold idle is doing more harm than good, the longer the engine is cold for the more wear that is happening. The quicker you can get it to operating temp by driving it normally the better.

If the battery is getting weak the start / stop will stop working and give you a message to say so.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:59 PM
Bailes1992

Originally Posted by RichieST
Not necessary. I am sure the technical boffins at Ford know more about what is good for it than you (I don't mean to sound like a cunt lol).

Just get in and drive it. Leaving it on cold idle is doing more harm than good, the longer the engine is cold for the more wear that is happening. The quicker you can get it to operating temp by driving it normally the better.

If the battery is getting weak the start / stop will stop working and give you a message to say so.

I'm not convinced. Just like DPF's, I think they are just there to increase it's green appeal.

Surely starting the engine from cold 6 times prior to getting on the motorway is more harmful to the car than the engine idling for 3 or 4 minutes at traffic lights.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:06 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

This is why i wouldnt be keen on buying a new car cause there is way to much technology shit on them.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:10 PM
cozzy jeff

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Bailes1992
I'm not convinced. Just like DPF's, I think they are just there to increase it's green appeal.

Surely starting the engine from cold 6 times prior to getting on the motorway is more harmful to the car than the engine idling for 3 or 4 minutes at traffic lights.
I had a bmw with start stop and I read in the manual it doesn't work till engine is up to temperature?
Old 01-03-2015, 07:15 PM
Bailes1992

Originally Posted by cozzy jeff
I had a bmw with start stop and I read in the manual it doesn't work till engine is up to temperature?
Mine works at the traffic lights just quater of a mile from my house.
My Father's F30 320d is the same and the turbo is starting to get loud after just 3 years and 77k.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:45 PM
fordrwd4ever
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I think if you just wire a capacitor across the 2 terminals of the switch,it will be "permanently" off.
The capacitor is a short circuit while it is charging,thus activating the switch..
Old 01-03-2015, 07:50 PM
mark826
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Take it to Ford the system can be disabled with ids
Old 01-03-2015, 08:13 PM
luke19790_3

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

On my golf if I turn the fan speed to 4 it disables the start/stop
Old 01-03-2015, 08:39 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn_
This is why i wouldnt be keen on buying a new car cause there is way to much technology shit on them.
I can see a lot of starter motor and battery failures.
Also imo increased engine ware due to oil pressure.
So you go to work and your stuck in traffic its cold and your fucking pile of shit diesel keeps stopping and never warms up so increased fuel economy.
what u have saved in tax will go.on fuel,starter motors,batterys.
Those boffins know how to make money.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:14 PM
dug112y
passionford pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

technology has changed from the way we mostly judged stuff by. Also cars are now classed as having a service life and won't last like old skool cars do.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:19 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

On my Merc the stop-start isn't active till the engine is up to operating temperature (which doesn't take long), and it doesn't operate if the outside temp is too low, or there is too much electricity being drawn (by lights, wipers HRW, AC etc).

I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:15 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Originally Posted by costina
I can see a lot of starter motor and battery failures.
Also imo increased engine ware due to oil pressure.
So you go to work and your stuck in traffic its cold and your fucking pile of shit diesel keeps stopping and never warms up so increased fuel economy.
what u have saved in tax will go.on fuel,starter motors,batterys.
Those boffins know how to make money.
yeh i agree that starter motors will start playing up.

On a cold winters day you warm the car up then sit in traffic,the stop start kicks in and your sat in the car with cold air blowing through the heater.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:13 AM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

I work in a main dealers and were already getting 3 year old cars in for the stop start battery's to be replaced but considering there potentially used just for starting the car loads of times 3 years isn't horrific. Starter motor wise we haven't changed one yet. The main problems we get are with dpf systems. With the Mitsubishi diesel range shoguns/l200s and outlanders it's either in for egr or dpf faults or clutches. And that's constant every week too. Utter shite. Apart from the battery's we haven't seen a prob with the Mitzi or Mazda start stop systems yet

Last edited by gcfcos; 02-03-2015 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:30 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Jap crap matey lol.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:52 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Jap crap matey lol.
Yeah your not wrong mate. The mitsubushis are terrible, they come in for just a simple service and end up being here for 2 days doing a mild restoration lol :-( got one on the ramp at the mo a shogun and it came in for oil and filter change and health check. Ended up doing timing chain tensioner and brakes all doing, both front calipers are fooked (£££££ each!!) same with every one that comes in. The mazdas are normally much better but the Mazda 6 diesels are littered everywhere with fooked bottom ends and the petrol turbo cx range are always coming in pluming out smoke with duff turbos after like 20,000 miles!!
Old 02-03-2015, 04:01 PM
3i Jim
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by gcfcos
Yeah your not wrong mate. The mitsubushis are terrible, they come in for just a simple service and end up being here for 2 days doing a mild restoration lol :-( got one on the ramp at the mo a shogun and it came in for oil and filter change and health check. Ended up doing timing chain tensioner and brakes all doing, both front calipers are fooked (£££££ each!!) same with every one that comes in. The mazdas are normally much better but the Mazda 6 diesels are littered everywhere with fooked bottom ends and the petrol turbo cx range are always coming in pluming out smoke with duff turbos after like 20,000 miles!!
Quality motor vehicles
Old 02-03-2015, 07:17 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

I worked on mitshbushi for a year and i didn't think they were that bad.

I did 2 years with toyota and they were crap.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:48 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I worked on mitshbushi for a year and i didn't think they were that bad. I did 2 years with toyota and they were crap.
I've only been with them 14 months and every week there's some horror story with a Mitzi lol. Maybe it's just my bad luck, that wouldn't surprise me !!!
Old 02-03-2015, 07:51 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I had a bm with the stop start, got into the habit of knocking it off when I started up.

it wouldn't cut in until the engine was warm, and also not if the battery was low, or would automatically fire the car back up if sat for a bit with all the toys on.

I personally would guess it is one of the reasons bmw have all the timing chain issues , as said, stopping and starting dozens of times a day compared to maybe 2 or three times on an average day.