General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

3 door cosworth ID??

Search this Thread

Old 22-02-2015, 10:16 AM
c14rks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 door cosworth ID??

Hi been offered a brand new old stock 3 door shell with sunroof, unstamped with ford build plate. Dry stored for 20 years. Looking for advice of IDs for a 3 door build, anybody know of any 3 doors IDs for sale or who to ask, I've been reading up on this and as it's a new shell it's not ringing if any body pipes up, lol, Steve
Old 22-02-2015, 10:23 AM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

How can it not be ringing as you are transferring a cars identity. Genuine question not a dig.
Old 22-02-2015, 10:31 AM
Paul_RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

You need a 3 door to reshell into it. If you transfer enough original parts onto the shelll you can legally register it on the old shells ID.
Old 22-02-2015, 10:34 AM
c14rks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was told that it's only ringing if your putting a genuine id into a pre registered shell, if it's a new shell then it's legal, if a car is damaged from new it can be reshelled if new shells are available, I might be wrong be pretty sure it's correct, if not if I build a 3 door from the new shell how will I be able to register it so I can use on the road?
Old 22-02-2015, 10:39 AM
Paul_RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

It'd be a Q plate if you don't build an old car into the new shell as a new ID/VIN are issued. Putting only the ID from another car onto the new shell is ringing.
Old 22-02-2015, 10:43 AM
Paul_RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registrat...built-vehicles

That's all you need to know right there.

A rebuilt vehicle can keep its original registration number if you can prove you’ve used:

the original unmodified chassis or bodyshell (car or light van)
a new chassis or monocoque bodyshell of the same specification as the original (car or light van)
the original unmodified frame (motorbike)
a new frame of the same specification as the original (motorbike)
You must also have 2 other major components from the original vehicle from the following lists.

For cars or light vans:

suspension (front and back)
steering assembly
axles (both)
transmission
engine

For motorbikes:

forks
wheels
engine
gear box

Last edited by Paul_RS; 22-02-2015 at 10:45 AM.
Old 22-02-2015, 11:47 AM
AndyPen
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Yep, the more you have from the original donor car the better really. There is a horror story on here somewhere way back from someone who kept the suspension front and back but were honest about replacing the engine etc. They ended up with a Q plate as the car was inspected.

When I go to DVLA there are often a lot of rebuilds parked up being looked at before they decide what to do - some very sad stories in and around Swansea from the people who know too. Play it as safe as possible mate and find a complete wreck if you can.
Old 24-02-2015, 09:32 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If you use a brand new bodyshell you can use the ID from the donor car , and no need to even inform DVLA

How do you think garages reshell cars that have been crashed , they simply use the ID from the old car
Old 24-02-2015, 10:05 PM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

delete this thread buy an id and dont tell anyone there are massiveamountsof cars that i see at every show done this way and most are none the wiser lol
Old 25-02-2015, 07:53 AM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by botters
delete this thread buy an id and dont tell anyone there are massiveamountsof cars that i see at every show done this way and most are none the wiser lol
Yeah to be fair if u fit the Id from a knackered shell as long as it isn't registered written off etc I can't see any reason why u would even need to tell anyone? Apart from the chassis number missing on the drivers floor which Imagine u could weld in from the donor car and the vin plate for the slam panel then surely no one would be any the wiser?
Old 25-02-2015, 12:56 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by gcfcos
Yeah to be fair if u fit the Id from a knackered shell as long as it isn't registered written off etc I can't see any reason why u would even need to tell anyone? Apart from the chassis number missing on the drivers floor which Imagine u could weld in from the donor car and the vin plate for the slam panel then surely no one would be any the wiser?
lets say you did it the proper way and got a new shell and have a donor vehicle - how do you go out physically putting the chasis number onto the new car - do they stamp the numbers in or as above cut and weld in plate which makes it look like a ringer?
Old 25-02-2015, 03:31 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by R4N SS
lets say you did it the proper way and got a new shell and have a donor vehicle - how do you go out physically putting the chasis number onto the new car - do they stamp the numbers in or as above cut and weld in plate which makes it look like a ringer?
We did an old mk3 xr3i once many years ago and yeah we swapped the vin tag over to new slam panel and then cut out the floor pan of the old one and welded that into the new car with the welds far enough away from the numbers to notice it and ground the welds right down and seam sealed it. Looked like nothing had ever happened afterwards. We did cut the floor pan to the very edge of each car so u would never notice it