General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Mondeo 1.8 MK3 2005 Problems

Old 26-01-2015, 06:50 PM
Philss_99
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mondeo 1.8 MK3 2005 Problems

Evening. Newbie here ( 1st post ) and in need of some help.

Been a Renault owner for the last 10 years but after a Cambelt failure I have decided no more money is going to be spent on it.

So I bought myself a Mondeo 1.8 MK3 2005, A car I have always liked and was within my budget.

Anyway picked car up on Saturday and having nothing but problems. Getting grief of the Wife saying I have bought a bad one. I am not going to be beat by this car so in need of some help / advice Please.

Faults found are as follows :-

Lights - Passenger side head lights, No side light and Dip beam. Main beam fine, Indicators fine. Changed bulbs - still not working. Checked fuses - everything looks in order - still no lights. ( Earth ? )

Cutting out - When dropping gears or slowing down to nearly a stop, car cuts out. ( IACV ? )

Engine Idle - Noticed car revs increase on their own.

Once I get these bits sorted I'm going to book a full service.

Also ... silly question as i'm a little confused. Are IACV & ISCV the same thing or different units ? I'm thinking these are the cause of the problems for the idling & cutting out..

Any advise / help is more than welcome.

Cheers
Old 26-01-2015, 07:53 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Evening, welcome aboard the good ship Pf

Been a Renault owner for the last 10 years but after a Cambelt failure I have decided no more money is going to be spent on it.
We all have some dark secrets in our closets.

So I bought myself a Mondeo 1.8 MK3 2005, A car I have always liked and was within my budget.
Picked a Mk 3 Mondeo LX this week myself

Anyway picked car up on Saturday and having nothing but problems. Getting grief of the Wife saying I have bought a bad one. I am not going to be beat by this car so in need of some help / advice Please.
If it was a garage sale return it and it's down to them to sort.

Lights - Passenger side head lights, No side light and Dip beam. Main beam fine, Indicators fine. Changed bulbs - still not working. Checked fuses - everything looks in order - still no lights. ( Earth ? )
Find the headlamp relays and try swapping them over to see if the fault swaps side. Also worth getting in there with a multimeter and checking what you have at the plug side. If you have power at the plug the headlamp unit may be duff itself.

Cutting out - When dropping gears or slowing down to nearly a stop, car cuts out. ( IACV ? )
Not sure on that one

PCV pipe under the inlet manifold may have a hole or be split, this can cause those symptoms

Good plan

Also ... silly question as i'm a little confused. Are IACV & ISCV the same thing or different units ? I'm thinking these are the cause of the problems for the idling & cutting out..
Pretty much from memory. See comment above re PCV.

Cheers
Old 26-01-2015, 08:10 PM
Philss_99
Virgin

Many Thanks for your reply.

Regarding the below :-

Find the headlamp relays and try swapping them over to see if the fault swaps side. Also worth getting in there with a multimeter and checking what you have at the plug side. If you have power at the plug the headlamp unit may be duff itself.

Are the relays in the fuse box under the bonnet or behind the glove box ?
Old 27-01-2015, 01:30 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Bugger know's not had mine long enough to break it yet

If yours is an LX model (facelift >04) it's worth sticking your head under the glove box as you are likely to find bulb holders for footwell lighting, pop a 501 bulb in (and under the steering column).

Name:  DSC_0000011_zpsfcc7641f.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  24.1 KB
Old 31-01-2015, 05:40 PM
Philss_99
Virgin

Originally Posted by Philss_99

Cheers

Update ....

Lights sorted. Bulbs I bought from local garage were all duff. Auto electrician was scratching his head for an hour before he said pass me the bulbs and found they were rubbish.

Need some help with the cutting out and engine idle.

Thanks in advance.