General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Do you get bullied/discriminated by the size of the car you drive?

Search this Thread

Old 26-10-2014, 09:50 PM
wowk
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you get bullied/discriminated by the size of the car you drive?

Had numerous of small cars in the past as well as some city cars and whilst driving on the motorways i get a feeling that i get disrespected more - for example when pulling out into a busy lane on the motorway no one flashes me and doesn't let me into the lane. On the other hand when I've had my Mondeo's/Avensis's etc it's completely vise versa to what I've just said. I can even recall lorries flashing their lights to let me know i was clear to pull in, whilst driving these cars. Also I seem to find that driving a larger car you don't get tailgated as much as you do in a small car (even though you're keeping up with the traffic flow and lane 1 or 2 is congested!!!)

What are your views/experiences on this?

Last edited by wowk; 26-10-2014 at 09:51 PM.
Old 26-10-2014, 10:04 PM
turbochild
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can be quite aggressive behind the wheel you need to be to get anywhere it doesn't matter if I am in the van or car I never feel bullied
Old 26-10-2014, 10:07 PM
studabear
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 204 Likes on 192 Posts

We had a micra in our fleet for a few years, people would pull out on you, over take you even if you was bang on the speed limit, never happened in our other cars.
Old 26-10-2014, 10:15 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

maybe you just need to be a bit more assertive instead of waiting for other peoples approval? I prefer to judge for myself when its safe to move over rather than waiting for trucks etc to flash me.
but I cant say ive ever felt bullied whether in a little car, little van, big truck , big car or whatever.
Old 26-10-2014, 10:50 PM
cossiestu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 150 Likes on 146 Posts

My daily is a VW Transporter, hardly massive. Regardless of size, I'd never let anyone make me feel bullied!
Old 27-10-2014, 01:13 AM
SeanW88
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1st car was a Mk2 Punto - lovely little motor, quite perky for a 1.2...but yeah, did get a fair few bullies.

I'm not the sort of person to take it, intimidation was always met with an evil laugh. More than one occasion I've played chicken with big German cars and won (the Punto was fucked anyway, like I'd really care if it picked up another scratch or 7?)
Old 27-10-2014, 10:17 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Ive gone from a big 4x4 to a ka as a daily and people do treat you differently. You get cut up and pulled out on more and people dont like getting out your way on motorways.

The other funny one is when youre in a fast car, apart from a few boy racers, once youve past someone, thats it, you both carry on. However in the ka im sure it offends people when you overtake them because quite a lot i overtake, move back to middle then left lane at SAME speed, then the car ive overtaken shoots past only to slow down and me overtake again in a mile or so Its like youve insulted thier manhood by overtaking them. Its not sportscars either, just boggo focuses and other drab shit boxes.

I do agree that dont let people bully you on the road or everyone will treat you like a cunt - especially on busy dual carriageways and motorways. Stand your ground and force the cunt to rethink.

Quite often when some cunt tries to bully his way out a side road I will floor it and move to the left forcing the cunt to back up to the giveway line where he should have stayed in the first place....

Same on motorways youre obeying the lane rules in moderate traffic and you see some cunt coming up behind swerving through all 3 lanes to try and get ahead. I will happily close up on the car in front to "slam the door" on him trying to cut me up.

Some people would argue 2 wrongs dont make a right, but morally im right and some cunt needs to teach the arseholes a lesson. Unless you treat them like the cunt they are being, they wont change.
Old 27-10-2014, 10:43 AM
3i Jim
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Had a Nissan micra that I used to commute to work down the A12. Always had a fucking Audi, merc or bmw glued to the rear bumper when I was in the outside lane. Now I've got a mondeo st tdci I've had no issues.
Old 27-10-2014, 11:07 AM
natehall

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I treat all other road users exactly the same way other road users treat me, with contempt believing they are going to crash into me if I give them an inch of room.

But then I drive around city centre daily where tailgating at 3mph is hardly called tailgating
Old 27-10-2014, 01:56 PM
YOREVOL
YOREVOL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive gone from a range rover to a mondeo and its very different, no one would try to bully the rangey but now people barge through when its not their right of way and dont even wave to say thanks.
Old 27-10-2014, 02:14 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

I'd love to go on a Tank rampage on a motorway or busy town centre. Anyone who fails to give way when they should gets crushed to death any lane hoggers in front i can use the cannon or the main gun on them to blast them out the way.
Old 27-10-2014, 03:49 PM
3i Jim

Originally Posted by Psycho Warren
I'd love to go on a Tank rampage on a motorway or busy town centre. Anyone who fails to give way when they should gets crushed to death any lane hoggers in front i can use the cannon or the main gun on them to blast them out the way.
I think you need anger management. Lol
Old 27-10-2014, 08:28 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Without a doubt the smaller the car, the less respect you are given by other drivers - not all but those that would let that have an influence.

Part of it imo is that people associate those cars with women , older or bad drivers and so just feel superior to them on the road.

A bigger or more manly car is seen as being driven by someone who is more capable and so treated with a bit more respect.
Old 28-10-2014, 07:40 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by 3i Jim
I think you need anger management. Lol
He has been there and done that including the funny coat with the back to front sleeves and believe it or not he is alot better
Old 28-10-2014, 07:57 AM
Cos500

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

If someone tail gates you just slow down even more, if I'm tailgated in a 60 limit I'll do 35 40 ish and just laugh at the twat having a paddy fit behind the wheel behind, no need for bullying on the road, if they were not behind the wheel and in person on the street I don't they they would feel quite so hard.
Old 28-10-2014, 10:41 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Originally Posted by Jay,
He has been there and done that including the funny coat with the back to front sleeves and believe it or not he is alot better
hey, im not regularly smashing up laptops and phones and stuff that annoys me any more I'm not hurting myself either

So technically i am a lot better.

I just take it out on others instead now far more cathartic to get even against arseholes than bottle it up and go mad.
Old 28-10-2014, 10:46 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

hey, im not regularly smashing up laptops and phones and stuff that annoys me any more I'm not hurting myself either

So technically i am a lot better.

I just take it out on others instead now far more cathartic to get even against arseholes than bottle it up and go mad.
You got no argument with me on that kid crack on
Old 28-10-2014, 10:50 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

So when it goes to court for a tank rampage where multiple chavs are crushed to death in thier uninsured illegal cars, I can say "jay told me to crack on" while aiming for an insanity plea??
Old 28-10-2014, 11:29 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

Mate its all good there just class it as the blind leading the blind
Old 28-10-2014, 12:47 PM
42Haya
Regular Contributor

Before my fiancée got her driving license I was explaining how differently people treat you on the road depending on the car your driving.

We went out in my Evo X and nobody goes near you, never cut you up and never overtakes. We then did a dump run in the run around KA, you can probably imagine the difference.

That's what encouraged me to start my Smart car project - check the link.
Old 28-10-2014, 01:29 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Cos500
If someone tail gates you just slow down even more, if I'm tailgated in a 60 limit I'll do 35 40 ish and just laugh at the twat having a paddy fit behind the wheel behind, no need for bullying on the road, if they were not behind the wheel and in person on the street I don't they they would feel quite so hard.
If there is someone in a hurry behind me I just pull in and let them by last thing you want is a stressed out irate driver behind you, life's too short to worry about crap like that.
Old 28-10-2014, 01:34 PM
3FRD

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Two Points

1. Are you gay?

2. Heaps of mental, hard, Ive never felt bullied, raaar, Im a bad boy people will reply to this sh8t thread.
Old 28-10-2014, 02:45 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Mate its all good there just class it as the blind leading the blind
And I will finally get a well deserved permenant home in broadmoor or rampton to live my days out.

You could imagine the parole hearings being entertaining.
Originally Posted by 3FRD
Two Points

1. Are you gay?
Just because someone drives a shitbox doesnt mean they take it up the shitbox

To be fair, a lot of people these days have zero balls and are pathetic cowards when they are faced with real life arguements or confrontation (seems social media has killed off the need for voice social skills and the ability to be assertive and confident face to face has died with it).

Originally Posted by RichieST
last thing you want is a stressed out irate driver behind you, life's too short to worry about crap like that.
When i deliberately hold up a cunt, officially it is because i am following the highway code which tells you to reduce your speed when being tailgated in case an accident occurs.

Also I am doing it because I know it winds them up. I could speed up then swerve into the left lane but why should I? The cunt can wait until it is safe for me to move over. Its no worry to me, often im giggling and taking delight that I am following the highway code and it annoys them so much.

And when im in a powerful car, I then take delight in flooring it back to my original speed, meaning usually they are left eating my dust and it takes them a while to catch up again.

In 17 years of driving consistantly treating tailgaters like the cunts they are, no one has rammed me off the road or tried to drag me out the car. Worst usually is the horn or a middle finger and on a couple of occasions some wannabe will cut you up at the lights and get out, but they soon fuck off when i get out with my steering lock (shaped like a baseball bat - it locks the wheel technically lol).

So the risk to me is low and IMO the risk is far outweighed by the benefit of winding the cunt up so that maybe the cunt will one day think "why do people treat me like a cunt when i tailgate them? oh because im being a cunt to them" Maybe it only sinks in with a few percent of people i do it to, but worth it IMO.
Old 28-10-2014, 06:04 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

And I will finally get a well deserved permenant home in broadmoor or rampton to live my days out.

You could imagine the parole hearings being entertaining.

My mates Mrs works at Broadmoor from what I have been told you would be right at home there
Old 28-10-2014, 06:16 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

My mates Mrs works at Broadmoor from what I have been told you would be right at home there
hahaha

What i'd do is tell them i like kids so i get moved to the nonce wing, then bide my time whittling a shank from a spork, then go on a killing spree killing all the peados and rapists.
Old 28-10-2014, 07:18 PM
gjh
10K+ Poster!!

Received 347 Likes on 320 Posts

No bullying on the road per say but I've had plenty of keyboard warriors giving it big as I have a mk4 fiesta, then I found out what they were driving......... (serious shitbox alert!)

Fuck 'em I say
Old 28-10-2014, 07:35 PM
CrOwSoN15
Ben

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Aint no one going to try it on with a Volvo 850, 1.7 tons of Swedish steel isn't going far I had someone brake check me in a Daewoo Matiz a few weeks back, I just chuckled.
Old 28-10-2014, 07:43 PM
TrevCos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I do a lot of driving and I think people's driving standards have degenerated so much over the last few years.

I literally see these things EVERY day:

1. Drivers on their phones who think they are in control of their cars but are definitely not!

2. People undertaking. So many people do it you'd think it had been made legal!

3. Cars and particularly lorries drifting out of their lanes INTO MINE as I'm trying to pass them.

4. People that don't seem to think that indicating is necessary anymore, that I'm just psychic about the stupid manoeuvres they're about to do. Some of this tends to be because they're on the phone but some of it is just bone idleness as far as I can see.

5. Lorries who think they can take five miles to overtake each other on a dual carriageway and not give a toss about the five mile queue of cars built up behind them. This seems to have got soooo much worse lately for me.

I have to say I've become a much more maybe the word is assertive driver rather than aggressive, and you have to be much more wary now, or you'll end up part of some idiot's accident.

Oh, I do drive a Mondeo ST TDCI by the way. I do a lot of miles so a small car for me wouldn't be comfortable enough.
Old 28-10-2014, 09:10 PM
Cos500

Must admit I undertake, anyone sat in lane 3 with 2 others free pees me off but as for lorries unless you have been a lorry driver you won't understand
Old 28-10-2014, 09:17 PM
TrevCos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Cos500
Must admit I undertake, anyone sat in lane 3 with 2 others free pees me off but as for lorries unless you have been a lorry driver you won't understand
Actually other people I know who are lorry drivers have said the same, and I can see that they have to meet deadlines, although this does seem to have got a lot worse. Maybe increased traffic on the roads?

Undertaking is really dangerous though. I don't think people realise just how dangerous. I'm looking all over the place all the time but a lot of people aren't expecting people coming up on the left, and there's obviously blind spots too, very risky.
Old 29-10-2014, 11:32 AM
Bailes1992
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Just because someone drives a shitbox doesnt mean they take it up the shitbox
Are you sure? Whenever I'm out and about in the missus KA I always stop off for some mandatory buggery!

A few months ago I was driving down the A48 and come across two vans side by side from the same firm doing 50mph while the two drivers had a chat to each other through the windows.
After about a mile they finally called it quits and the van in the overtaking lane pulled in.
It was about 5am and there was nobody else on the road so when after about 2 miles the road became one lane I overtook both of them and slowed to 20mph for a few minutes.
You could quite clearly see the man in the van behind getting quite irate!
Old 29-10-2014, 12:00 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Depends who youre buggering if its your missus, its not gay - even though thats a "classic" excuse women use to avoid anal. However, if youre lubing up all over with vaseline, wearing dodgy leathers, a dodgy tache and bumming some bloke while listening to the village people, then yes, you probably are gay
Old 29-10-2014, 12:06 PM
3i Jim

Depends who youre buggering if its your missus, its not gay - even though thats a "classic" excuse women use to avoid anal. However, if youre lubing up all over with vaseline, wearing dodgy leathers, a dodgy tache and bumming some bloke while listening to the village people, then yes, you probably are gay
LMFAO
Old 29-10-2014, 01:40 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by TrevCos
2. People undertaking. So many people do it you'd think it had been made legal!
Undertaking is not illegal! Frowned upon and can be used against you if an incident occurs but you can not be prosecuted for undertaking.
Old 29-10-2014, 06:16 PM
Cos500

[QUOTE=TrevCos;6532403]Actually other people I know who are lorry drivers have said the same, and I can see that they have to meet deadlines, although this does seem to have got a lot worse. Maybe increased traffic on the roads?

passed my test in a lorry and 10 years or so ago was up and down the motorways in one, it's that busy on the roads what used to be a fairly enjoyable job is a nitemare, nobody cares if they cut you up, pull out on you, try cutting inside on roundabouts so for your average guy in a truck he probably doesn't care how held up you are, at least your behind not cutting you up onto a motorway exit etc.
Also each trucks limiter is slightly different, not all exactly 56, some might be more and some less, nothing worse than following another truck say down the m1 right behind it, dangerous too as you can't see, if you slow down a little to give you room the slower truck you've just passed will go past you again so now there's two.
Fully freighted and 44 ton you like to be at peak rpm to get up a hill, even small hills can be a pain in a lower powered truck so being behind another one and not being able to overtake half way up a hill really is annoying as not likely a car would let you out.

In Europe at peak times trucks can't overtake on duel carriageways like they do here, as a car driver I like that idea, not sure if it was triled a few years back, only probs are our roads are not long and flat like continent and I don't think it would work safety.
Old 30-10-2014, 03:26 PM
ontheway
PassionFord Regular

Can't say I ever feel bullied... But then I commute on the motorway in a silver 320d so it's probably me driving like a tit!

My pet hate is people not using both lanes before a merge... They'd rather queue across a busy roundabout than learn to drive properly? So I don't even feel a little bit bad driving past the entire queue.
Old 30-10-2014, 07:57 PM
Cos500

Originally Posted by ontheway
Can't say I ever feel bullied... But then I commute on the motorway in a silver 320d so it's probably me driving like a tit!

My pet hate is people not using both lanes before a merge... They'd rather queue across a busy roundabout than learn to drive properly? So I don't even feel a little bit bad driving past the entire queue.
Shouldn't feel bad at all, both lanes are there to be used, may aswell use em before one of them becomes a bus lane
Old 30-10-2014, 09:34 PM
mcst

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Round here it's like some of the smaller cars have a chip on there shoulder about those in bigger/better. They're generally driven by folk that don't drive any further than the end of their own bonnet, driving is secondary to whatever they're doing so they're humming along in the outside lane at 69.75mph overtaking fresh air!It's like they see something bigger and try and nip in like it's a challenge! Some days I could be invisible so I'll openly admit to using the size to get where I want to be.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:51 AM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

You guys seem to turn driving into some sort of warfare or mind games .
I just drive its easier that way. Own a Pug 107, Rover, SLK & a Cossie all I have to remember is that in the SLK I don't have to waggle the stick.
Reading this thread reminds me of a guy at work he did the same commute as I did. Every day he had a drama, cut-up, under taken people driving like twats etc. Would take until lunchtime to get over it. I did that same route for 24 years never felt threatened or saw the things he saw in his mind.
Get a grip lads your just driving my granny did it so cant be hard.