General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Bye bye tax disc

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 05:06 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 86 Posts

What happens if you buy a car that has tax still?

Is it the same as before until it's renewed under the new system?
Old 08-10-2014, 06:30 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlos-Titx
What happens if you buy a car that has tax still? Is it the same as before until it's renewed under the new system?
Yeah I'm a bit lost on this. I buy and sell cars as a sideline and already been through 3 since the new laws come in and kept and sold the tax on all of them so far
Old 08-10-2014, 06:52 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by gcfcos
Yeah I'm a bit lost on this. I buy and sell cars as a sideline and already been through 3 since the new laws come in and kept and sold the tax on all of them so far
It would make sense to wait till the tax is renewed before using the new system.

So that probably won't be the case.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:20 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

What happens if you buy a car that has tax still?

Is it the same as before until it's renewed under the new system?
The Tax is cancelled as soon as DVLA are notified of the owner change.
Tax is automatically refunded for remaining whole months, you don't need to send the disc away to DVLA, if there is still one for the car.

You can throw any disc away now, they aren't needed.
The new system applies to all vehicles whether taxed on the old system or new.
Displaying a disc passed on with a car you have just bought is pointless, ANPR will see the car as untaxed unless the new owner taxes it and the database will automatically issue a fine unless it's Sorn or Taxed, as now.

Last edited by focusv8; 08-10-2014 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:25 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

It takes a couple of days for DVLA to know a car has been sold so ANPR will still see its taxes surely?

So when I go buy a car I have to go online to tax it there and then? Which I won't be able to do as DVLA won't know it's been sold as the V5 will be still at the place of purchase and not yet posted.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:41 PM
st220kyle
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

It takes a couple of days for DVLA to know a car has been sold so ANPR will still see its taxes surely?

So when I go buy a car I have to go online to tax it there and then? Which I won't be able to do as DVLA won't know it's been sold as the V5 will be still at the place of purchase and not yet posted.
good point, I can see buying a new car becoming a right ball ache now with regard to taxing it, just to be able to drive it home at least
Old 08-10-2014, 07:44 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by st220kyle
good point, I can see buying a new car becoming a right ball ache now with regard to taxing it, just to be able to drive it home at least
Exactly. I might be buying a car soon but it's a 3 hour drive away. Trading in my car so how do I get my new car and my self home?
Old 08-10-2014, 11:41 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

It's a complete bloody hash up in my opinion. If something worked for over 100 years then why change it? I always live by the rule if it ain't broke don't fix it. Everything's becoming computerised and I feel for the people who aren't computer illiterate. My dad dosent have Internet And struggles with a mobile phone yet everything he does/buys or asks about he either gets given a website to go to or an email address. He hasn't got either! I wonder how long it'll be before cash is a thing of the past and money becomes completely electronic!
Old 09-10-2014, 07:20 AM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Supposedly £8M to set up to save £2M a year.

Also what happens if you need to tax your car and as has been pointed out in this thread the site is down?
Old 09-10-2014, 08:37 AM
saph4be
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also what happens if you need to tax your car and as has been pointed out in this thread the site is down?
Then you pop down the post office like you all ways be able to.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:51 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Exactly. I might be buying a car soon but it's a 3 hour drive away. Trading in my car so how do I get my new car and my self home?
The document reference number on the new keepers slip is all you need to tax online.

as far as the government is concerned its "tough shit" ie basically you can't drive it.

I garuntee that the website being down would NOT be a valid defence in court. it might be valid mitagation but not a defence.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:04 AM
Twizz
Out of many, we are one.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Psycho Warren
The document reference number on the new keepers slip is all you need to tax online.

as far as the government is concerned its "tough shit" ie basically you can't drive it.

I garuntee that the website being down would NOT be a valid defence in court. it might be valid mitagation but not a defence.
There's a phone number you can call too. They'd get out of it in any way shape or form.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:25 AM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

just spoke to a garage and said it'll be taxed in my name at point of sale if I take it.

Happy days.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:40 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 393 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by Psycho Warren

What would someone do if they have gone to look at a car, like it , buy it and then have to tax it online before they can drive it away, if they or the seller hasnt got a laptop or an I phone with internet access? Can you do it over the phone still?