General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

price for fitting a part

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 08:01 PM
Berty84
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default price for fitting a part

Is 40 quid a fair price to fit a new egr valve... the garage im thinking of using is local to me and has good reviews online...
Old 12-08-2014, 08:09 PM
slammedorion
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 236 Likes on 210 Posts

What cars it on, you'd be better off spending money on blanking it off...
Old 12-08-2014, 08:14 PM
Berty84

I cant blank it off its a euro 4 electronic controlled iv tried blanking it with a plate but just brings eml on then tried it with a hole in the plate still no joy... and oh its on a fiests 1.4 tdci 08 plate
Old 12-08-2014, 09:13 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Of you've done the blanking player why are you going to pay a garage to fit a replacement egr?
Old 12-08-2014, 09:20 PM
Berty84

Beacuse mine is frozen/stuck got a fault code p1416 and the car is idleing rough but still runs... also I dont really fancy doing it myself cus I have a limited tool box and dont have the patience nor the time
Old 12-08-2014, 09:33 PM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I can't think of much I'd expect anyone to do for less that Ł40, so yes!
Old 12-08-2014, 09:39 PM
dojj

If they are clearing the codes etc too then it's a bargain
Old 12-08-2014, 10:16 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 115 Likes on 108 Posts

When fitting these the EGR learned values need to be reset on diagnostics so if they're fitting it 'properly' Ł40 is a bargain!!

They're not the easiest things to get to down the back of the engine, so again Ł40 is a bargain.

Last edited by GVK.; 12-08-2014 at 10:17 PM.
Old 13-08-2014, 04:25 AM
Berty84

Originally Posted by GVK.
When fitting these the EGR learned values need to be reset on diagnostics so if they're fitting it 'properly' Ł40 is a bargain!!

They're not the easiest things to get to down the back of the engine, so again Ł40 is a bargain.
Hi thanks for your reply what do u mean by values do u mean the fault code itself
Old 13-08-2014, 02:44 PM
Berty84

After u mentioned this I checked with the mechanic to see if he would be resetting the values and he didnt have a clue what I was on about so I guess that's a no on the upside iv found another garage that just happens to have a former ford tech working there and he knew exactly what I was on about... downside Ł120 to fit oh well guess its gotta be done properly so thank you
Old 13-08-2014, 03:55 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

Ł40 a good price. When we fit new egr valves we just clear any present fault codes with diagnostic computer afterwards. Never had any problems.
Old 13-08-2014, 04:03 PM
Berty84

Originally Posted by gcfcos
Ł40 a good price. When we fit new egr valves we just clear any present fault codes with diagnostic computer afterwards. Never had any problems.
Im not sure what to believe been told that many things
Old 13-08-2014, 04:46 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

On this car that uses the French DW4/6 engine the EGR valve is a motor with a position sensor which gives feedback to the PCM, when you get a new valve from Ford there will be a label inside that says 'Program with WDS' (WDS was the previous Ford dealer tool before IDS which we currently use)

It's not programming as such as in the PCM service functions on the diagnostics there are various options to reset learned values (EGR/turbocharger/DPF) etc and its the EGR learned values that need to be reset as if the old valve that's been 'stuck' the PCM could still think it's 'stuck' and still put a fault in on the new valve that is actually working OK.

Clearing the fault codes is not the same as this procedure...

Last edited by GVK.; 13-08-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Old 13-08-2014, 04:57 PM
Berty84

On this car that uses the French DW4/6 engine the EGR valve is a motor with a position sensor which gives feedback to the PCM, when you get a new valve from Ford there will be a label inside that says 'Program with WDS' (WDS was the previous Ford dealer tool before IDS which we currently use)

It's not programming as such as in the PCM service functions on the diagnostics there are various options to reset learned values (EGR/turbocharger/DPF) etc and its the EGR learned values that need to be reset as if the old valve that's been 'stuck' the PCM could still think it's 'stuck' and still put a fault in on the new valve that is actually working OK.

Clearing the fault codes is not the same as this procedure...
Yes after u mentioned this iv now found someone else to fit it and reset learning values but unfortunately the price has gone up I thought it was too good to be true iv also been considering a terraclean after speaking to them they say they can remove egr soak it in the chemical for 100 quid or 250 to treat the engine aswell to remove all carbon build up I dont know what to do ?
Old 13-08-2014, 05:03 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

It's the proper way to do it on these engines, they need the reset done when fitting a new valve.

Terraclean....

I know diesel engines get gummed up inside but I'm always wary of 'miracles in a can' yes they might dislodge the sludge, but where does it end up?

These engines are known for turbo failures because of oil supply problems as it is.

Also read your other thread, do they think they can fix the EGR valve being 'stuck' with Terraclean?????

Er.. these get 'stuck' because of corrosion inside the motor/position sensor not the valve part thats in the intake that gets gummed up.

Last edited by GVK.; 13-08-2014 at 05:07 PM.
Old 14-08-2014, 03:46 PM
Berty84

Thanks everyone for ur replys... after phoning round a few garages i came across one about 5 mile from me who offered to fit the valve and reset the values and terraclean the engine to remove carbon deposits all for 150 quid... RESULT
Old 14-08-2014, 09:33 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Terraclean an expensive version of chucking a can of fuel treatment in your tank. Save yourself a fortune, pay the Ł40 to get the valve fitted and codes cleared and pay Ł10 for a forte diesel treatment for the tank. I've just saved u Ł100

Last edited by gcfcos; 14-08-2014 at 09:40 PM.
Old 14-08-2014, 09:47 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Yeah, just ignore the fact that you MUST get the EGR learned values reset.

Old 14-08-2014, 10:02 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Yeah, just ignore the fact that you MUST get the EGR learned values reset.
I been fitting egr valves to transits, mondeos, focuses and fiestas (ford hire company workshop) for years and never ever had one come back, we just fit them, erase the fault code, test drive, check for any faults and let it go out on hire. I get your a ford tech bud but we got 2 ex ford techs at my work and they both cracked up when I told them about it today and said it was a way ford coined over Ł90 plus vat off the customer to plug the computer in. That's only my experiance so please don't be offended

Last edited by gcfcos; 15-08-2014 at 07:48 PM.
Old 14-08-2014, 10:07 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

we only fit genuine ford parts and in none of the boxes I looked in today on the shelf does it have any paperwork inside saying about setting any values? Perhaps ford take them out before they deliver them to us? Wouldn't surprise me

Last edited by gcfcos; 15-08-2014 at 07:49 PM.
Old 15-08-2014, 05:08 AM
Bailes1992
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Terraclean an expensive version of chucking a can of fuel treatment in your tank.
It's not though is it?
Terraclean uses multiple chemicals neat through the fuel system over 2 hours to clean and decoke the engine.

It would clean an EGR if the EGR was working as it should so the exhaust gasses could flow through it. But if it's stuck shut then I can't imagine it doing anything.
Old 15-08-2014, 06:32 AM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Bailes1992
It's not though is it? Terraclean uses multiple chemicals neat through the fuel system over 2 hours to clean and decoke the engine. It would clean an EGR if the EGR was working as it should so the exhaust gasses could flow through it. But if it's stuck shut then I can't imagine it doing anything.
Sorry ED me old CHINA

Last edited by gcfcos; 15-08-2014 at 06:37 AM.
Old 15-08-2014, 08:19 AM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Bailes1992
It's not though is it? Terraclean uses multiple chemicals neat through the fuel system over 2 hours to clean and decoke the engine. It would clean an EGR if the EGR was working as it should so the exhaust gasses could flow through it. But if it's stuck shut then I can't imagine it doing anything.
Or u could do what the guys at work just suggested, add a fuel treatment to the tank and leave it running for 2 hours, still be cheaper
Old 15-08-2014, 08:57 AM
dojj

the jag one is supposed to be the exact same part and is half the price of the ford one
Old 15-08-2014, 07:09 PM
Berty84

Terraclean an expensive version of chucking a can of fuel treatment in your tank. Save yourself a fortune, pay the Ł40 to get the valve fitted and codes cleared and pay Ł10 for a forte diesel treatment for the tank. I've just saved u Ł100
I hear what ur sayin I really do and ur probably right but im gonna give it a whirl anyway...
Old 15-08-2014, 07:46 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Berty84
I hear what ur sayin I really do and ur probably right but im gonna give it a whirl anyway...
Yeah might as well mate it may be good stuff I don't know I've never used it or know anyone that has I'm just well wary of the cost they charge for the treatment but let us know how u get on, might be worth it if does what they say and u get better fuel economy and power etc
Old 15-08-2014, 07:51 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by dojj
the jag one is supposed to be the exact same part and is half the price of the ford one
That sounds about right, and I bet some ford stuff is cheaper than the jags. There all in on the con the bastards lol!
Old 15-08-2014, 07:54 PM
Berty84

Yeah might as well mate it may be good stuff I don't know I've never used it or know anyone that has I'm just well wary of the cost they charge for the treatment but let us know how u get on, might be worth it if does what they say and u get better fuel economy and power etc
Iv had a nice return on a bet I put on the football so im thinkin what the hell ill give it a bash see what the hype is about it seems to have good reviews online so ill let u know... im assuming they will do it before they replace the egr?
Old 15-08-2014, 07:57 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Iv had a nice return on a bet I put on the football so im thinkin what the hell ill give it a bash see what the hype is about it seems to have good reviews online so ill let u know... im assuming they will do it before they replace the egr?
Nice mAte well done ah u got nothing to lose then sorry didn't mean to sound like a cxxt in my other posts just workin in a garage u hear so much ballshit handed around, I shouldn't bring it onto a forum lol :-(
Old 15-08-2014, 08:02 PM
Berty84

Nice mAte well done ah u got nothing to lose then sorry didn't mean to sound like a cxxt in my other posts just workin in a garage u hear so much ballshit handed around, I shouldn't bring it onto a forum lol :-(
No worrys mate I drive a truck for a living delivering platforms/cherry pickers to builders e.t.c and im used to people being blunt so I know the feeling...
Old 15-08-2014, 08:09 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

No worrys mate I drive a truck for a living delivering platforms/cherry pickers to builders e.t.c and im used to people being blunt so I know the feeling...
Lol fair play mate. Let us know how u get on, be interesting to know
Old 15-08-2014, 08:35 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I been fitting egr valves to transits, mondeos, focuses and fiestas (ford hire company workshop) for years and never ever had one come back, we just fit them, erase the fault code, test drive, check for any faults and let it go out on hire. I get your a ford tech bud but we got 2 ex ford techs at my work and they both cracked up when I told them about it today and said it was a way ford coined over Ł90 plus vat off the customer to plug the computer in. That's only my experiance so please don't be offended
You carry on what you're doing and I will too.

In fairness once you have comms with the car on IDS it doesn't take long to reset the values anyway.

What they charge out to the customer..ain't up to me.

It's only the what I call 'French' engines the 1.6 TDCI DW4/6 and the DW10 2.0 TDCI that usually have the label in the box with a new EGR advising to 'program with WDS'. (reset the learned values) the rest of the engines, yeah just fit and clear codes.
Old 15-08-2014, 08:37 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by dojj
Jags don't have the same engine as a Fiesta.
Old 15-08-2014, 08:56 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

You carry on what you're doing and I will too. In fairness once you have comms with the car on IDS it doesn't take long to reset the values anyway. What they charge out to the customer..ain't up to me. It's only the what I call 'French' engines the 1.6 TDCI DW4/6 and the DW10 2.0 TDCI that usually have the label in the box with a new EGR advising to 'program with WDS'. (reset the learned values) the rest of the engines, yeah just fit and clear codes.
Fair dos mate your a ford tech I'm not, you'll know more than me about them, I was just going on what we do at work and what the guys told me.
Old 15-08-2014, 08:57 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Jags don't have the same engine as a Fiesta.
Yeah the jags are a mondeo in a posh frock lol
Old 21-08-2014, 04:16 PM
Berty84

Just thought id give an update for anybody who is still intrested decided to get the terraclean done before buying a new valve and my god what a difference it has made the rough idle has completely gone also no more hesitation or flat spots at low speeds and mpg is up by 10 its like driving a new car much more responsive and has more power... not sure about the valve itself I will have to get it checked over but the car itself seems cured so im a happy chap for now... would defo recommend having this done if ur having the same problems I was a bit dubious at first but it really works
Old 22-08-2014, 07:20 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Just thought id give an update for anybody who is still intrested decided to get the terraclean done before buying a new valve and my god what a difference it has made the rough idle has completely gone also no more hesitation or flat spots at low speeds and mpg is up by 10 its like driving a new car much more responsive and has more power... not sure about the valve itself I will have to get it checked over but the car itself seems cured so im a happy chap for now... would defo recommend having this done if ur having the same problems I was a bit dubious at first but it really works
Nice one mate, bet your well chuffed. It works then