General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Borg Warner EFR Build Quality Shocking!

Search this Thread

Old 23-07-2014, 10:23 PM
Sonic Boom
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
If I had seen BW photos showing these lovely turbos, and seen other people had bought them....

Then I ordered and bought expecting the same...surely I'd have every right to be pissed off when something very different arrives ?

Yes the turbo's main purpose is to make power etc...but none of BW's literature shows the nasty looking housing.

Some people care as much about the appearance of cars, engine bays etc as they do it's performance.
Exactly Steve spot on.

Rich
Old 23-07-2014, 11:07 PM
wozzy
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic Boom
Fancy swapping my exhaust housing with yours then Rod?

It wouldn't be so bad if they lowered the price to reflex the quick frankly shit finish.

I have spoken to them and they said they are all like it, that's just the way it is.

Rich
How much did you pay? My bro just picked up a 9180 for £1300 ( official uk purchase ). considering you get the boost solenoid and a dump valve too i don't think the cost is too bad considering what goes into these turbos. The housing on my bros 9180 looked similar to yours. Not great but wow what a turbo
Old 24-07-2014, 08:19 AM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 223 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic Boom
Fancy swapping my exhaust housing with yours then Rod?

It wouldn't be so bad if they lowered the price to reflex the quick frankly shit finish.

I have spoken to them and they said they are all like it, that's just the way it is.

Rich
They have dropped the price 2years ago I was paying over 20% more than today.

Mark
Old 24-07-2014, 08:58 AM
Maxwell
Irregular Poster

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Probably is a good chance you got a turbo, in which that particular casting came from a bad batch. May not look pretty. But it would have been x-rayed, and flow tested prior to signing off!!

On the other hand though you are right Rich, if it looks like its been cast with shite material from china, whats to say the internals arent made with shite materials from china. Whats also to say it has passed tests, but was tested and stamped off by an idiot??

BorgWarner may have die hard fans (like Mark and the likes of), who will speak positive of their reliability and performance. But it isnt to say the one you got will be like that!!

Sometimes it can be a case of you buy cheap, you buy twice!! In this case its 50/50
Old 24-07-2014, 11:43 AM
Cos500
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

The finish of my car is as important to me as the performance, you spend enough and in return the product needs to reflect this in both areas, I'm sure on a track or rally car it would be fine but someone's pride and joy?
So called experts/tuners that think this is acceptable and apply an "it'll do attitude" are certainly not fit to work on any car of mine.

I'd be looking for a replacement with a better cast finish or my money back, if it looks like that on the outside it wouldn't give me much confidence in the rest of it.
Old 24-07-2014, 12:07 PM
opposite lock
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its not exactly Bagdad bangers we're driving around in , the neat n tidy look is most wanted ,BW must of expected some critisism on the finish when you consider how good the original look is. People dont mind if you tend to give them a heads up before purchase.
Then you can decide first.One thing for sure is if you dont say you dont get!
You have every right to be unimpressed mate imo regardless how good performance is and for how long.
Old 24-07-2014, 12:44 PM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Cos500
The finish of my car is as important to me as the performance, you spend enough and in return the product needs to reflect this in both areas, I'm sure on a track or rally car it would be fine but someone's pride and joy
Agree 100%. I'm not saying it won't do the job and I'm not questioning the build quality or effectiveness, but to me form is as important as function. If that makes me a bufty, so be it.
Old 24-07-2014, 01:42 PM
pacificzetecturbo
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was mine from about 6 months ago, supplied by CR Turbos. Was a bit rough on the casting I must admit but I have to say the performance out weighs the looks 10 fold so its one of those things you just accept to reap the gains.

Name:  IMG_1170_zps0f379e46.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  90.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1169_zps7533c9cb.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  73.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1168_zps8504849a.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  72.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1167_zps7b7c71cf.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  88.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1166_zps1bc0e5bd.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  94.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1165_zpsa5efd094.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  76.4 KB
Old 24-07-2014, 02:43 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

Looks minter than mint to me
Old 05-08-2014, 09:54 PM
Sonic Boom
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by pacificzetecturbo
This was mine from about 6 months ago, supplied by CR Turbos. Was a bit rough on the casting I must admit but I have to say the performance out weighs the looks 10 fold so its one of those things you just accept to reap the gains.

Yours looks way tidier than mine mate.

Rich
Old 06-08-2014, 09:23 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
When you see the nice units compared to the not nice...and know you probably paid the same.

On principal it kinda does matter.
Totally agree. You pay good money for a quality product - it should look and perform like a quality product. I'm quite surprised by some people saying "as long as it works well". It will work well, that's why he bought it, that's not in question. But what he bought was a supposed quality item from a reputable supplier. It instills no confidence whatsoever if it looks worse than some proper bargain basement ebay tat.

I know absolutely nothing about casting, but surely it wouldn't have been too hard for someone to have gone over it and sorted out the finish before it was assembled?
Old 06-08-2014, 09:39 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 258 Likes on 237 Posts

If all the castings were visually poor, then it'd be fair enough, that's how they are.

But it does seem there are huge variations. Even the rough one above says BW on it though.

If you had the patience, you could clean it up yourself with a flapwheel in a grinder or something.
Although obviously he probably doesnt want to have to do that, especially when some of the earlier units do look pretty damn good.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:16 AM
lee2cossies
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I recently purchased a s200 Borg Warner and it's really good quality considering it's a lot cheaper, I'm planning on getting an efr soon, but definetly thinking twice about it now after seeing the quality of this one. It's easy to say doesn't matter what it looks like but to me it does as I show my car too and at that price should be well presented.