General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

30bar into a Corsa tyre doesn't go!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 11:40 AM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Default 30bar into a Corsa tyre doesn't go!

Just had a young lass ask if I could help her with the tyre machine at the supermarket as she couldn't make it work. She told me she needed 30 inthe tyres but the dial wouldn't go up that high. Upon looking it became obvious she hadn't switched it to psi from bar. I pointed out the 2 scales were totally different and that 1bar was the same as 14.5psi so she was trying to put more than 10 times the pressure in her tyre. Her face just glazed over like I was speaking in a foreign tongue.

I am genuinely stunned
Old 11-04-2014, 11:42 AM
haz87
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 175 Likes on 165 Posts

People like that shouldn't be allowed out
Old 11-04-2014, 11:55 AM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Why would a woman understand, and that's a genuine comment. Most women have no idea (or interest) in anything like that, anymore than we would shoes, handbags or make-up.

My Mrs would have no idea how to lift the bonnet on her car and if she could would have no idea what to check or where to look. That's my job as she tells me, and I suspect most women would see it the same way. That's down to their other half. I'd rather do it myself and know it's all done properly than rely on her to attempt to learn, but at least the lady in question here was aware that her tyres needed checking - which is more than most !
Old 11-04-2014, 11:59 AM
Ridgey
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 120 Posts

No suprises really.
I act dumb when to toilets need cleaning

She was probably told to put 30 in, and the adviser tried not to complicate things with scales.

Last edited by Ridgey; 11-04-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:03 PM
slammedorion
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 236 Likes on 210 Posts

How some manage to live through 1 day is unbelievable...
Good job breathing comes natural for most...
Old 11-04-2014, 12:03 PM
stu21t
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I was gunna say I'm more impressed the she knew the tyres needed checking and how much to put in! She just couldn't work the machine lol.
Just like most men know their clothes are dirty and how to put them in the machine, but not how to work it lol.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:05 PM
Rogeyboy
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah they are a diff breed and rarely have an interest or any knowledge about anything car related... Im not the slightest suprised, my mrs had never checked her tyre pressures in over a year until i met her and started doing them!
Old 11-04-2014, 12:52 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr S1
Why would a woman understand, and that's a genuine comment.
Because in this day and age ALL women have had the same basic education in science and maths so WILL be aware what different units mean even if they later choose to brain dump them.

Also all of them whove passed a test in the last decade had to prove to the examiner all the basic vehicle checks to pass a test.....

So there is no excuse other than thier own lazyness.

Originally Posted by Mr S1
That's my job as she tells me, and I suspect most women would see it the same way. That's down to their other half.
So much for women wanting equality??

let me guess they want equality where they benefit from it but not where it means getting thier hands dirty!!??
Old 11-04-2014, 01:29 PM
xr2john
Passionford Addict

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Reminds me a bit on the ex wife. She didn't have a clue either lol

Was she a hotty??
Old 11-04-2014, 01:32 PM
natehall
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Why should this thread deride that all women know about is cooking cleaning clothes and makeup and that this information pushes out the technical facts about cars?

I know a lot more about makeup and clothing materials than most men, not because I use them but I retail it so need to know, but then again I can maintain a car as well as fix the washing machine (although don't trust me to use the washing machine )

If they don't know, it is laziness and that particular moron should be laughed at permanently.. Not there gender
Old 11-04-2014, 02:34 PM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Originally Posted by Psycho Warren
Because in this day and age ALL women have had the same basic education in science and maths so WILL be aware what different units mean even if they later choose to brain dump them.

Also all of them whove passed a test in the last decade had to prove to the examiner all the basic vehicle checks to pass a test.....

So there is no excuse other than thier own lazyness.

So much for women wanting equality??

let me guess they want equality where they benefit from it but not where it means getting thier hands dirty!!??
If only life was as simple as you say Warren....but it isn't as well you know ! No point in fighting it, fact is if it doesn't interest people they aren't interested. I've been shown more times than I care to recall how the oven works and what to do about emptying our wood burning stove but if I was at home now I wouldn't have a clue. Because I don't listen as neither interest me.

As for equality - well, that's when it suits !
Old 11-04-2014, 04:02 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not just some women who don't have a clue, guy I know got a puncture, had no clue how to change the wheel, so phoned the RAC, waited over an hour for them to turn up to put his spare on. Said to me "the RAC guy looked at me like I was a c*nt", I told him, any man who can't change a wheel on a car is a c*nt. exact thing happened to another lad I know, he got a puncture, and phoned a mutual friend to go meet him to put the spare on for him
Old 11-04-2014, 04:26 PM
CrOwSoN15
Ben

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Fiddy
Not just some women who don't have a clue, guy I know got a puncture, had no clue how to change the wheel, so phoned the RAC, waited over an hour for them to turn up to put his spare on. Said to me "the RAC guy looked at me like I was a c*nt", I told him, any man who can't change a wheel on a car is a c*nt. exact thing happened to another lad I know, he got a puncture, and phoned a mutual friend to go meet him to put the spare on for him

This annoys me.
It should be compulsory in a driving test to be able to change a wheel!
Old 11-04-2014, 04:42 PM
TOOTALL

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Surely we can let them off with not knowing about tyres or cars.
They have fannies remember.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:30 PM
chris cdti

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

if she had a corsa d she is still wrong as they are 29f 26r
Old 11-04-2014, 07:21 PM
MikeyRobbo
PS3 - MikeyRobbo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As said not just women, old guy brought his car in for a service. Only a 54/55 Laguna if i remember right but tyre pressures are a part of it. Got the gauge on expecting to adjust thinking he's not gonna be the type to check these. Fronts had 75 PSI in them!! He got a strict telling off when he collected it
Old 12-04-2014, 02:43 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 115 Likes on 108 Posts

It's not just women who don't understand units of measurement...

Had to go and look at a job in a bodyshop once, the bloke couldn't understand why he couldn't get 7 kg.. yes SEVEN KILOS of R134 in an AC system...

It required 0.7kg..
Old 12-04-2014, 03:30 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

She was lucky she didnt blow the tyre off the rim. My mrs is the same. She couldnt care less about cars. As long as they stop and go she isnt bothered.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:29 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Thing is it's half of these clueless fucktards that will then preach how dangerous speeding is. Don't know about anybody else but I'd rather come across a properly maintained car at 100mph than one doing 70mph where the only time anything gets looked at is the service.

Last edited by Oranoco; 12-04-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:17 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

People dont realise a car can be a lethal weapon.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:53 PM
Rax
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My sister is quite a clever person,when it comes to cars not a clue .The last time I had her car there was 9 psi,12,24 and 26.

Hmm I think you will find as thats wrong
Old 12-04-2014, 10:21 PM
Fast Guy
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

We had someone in the RAF do similar on an aircraft tyre, only difference is they thought 300bar was the right pressure not 300psi. Fortunately the cage contained all the bits of exploding tyre.
Old 13-04-2014, 02:25 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

He was bloody lucky too. The dafty.
Old 13-04-2014, 10:03 PM
louis_2012
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They think cars just need petrol to run, then when something breaks theyre in floods of tears and cannot understand why. Girl near me has a 207 07 reg, only brake light that works is the one in the back window, 3 of her tyres are bald, its not been washed since god knows when either, its only got one wingmirror.. told her and shes not fussed..
Old 13-04-2014, 10:24 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by louis_2012
They think cars just need petrol to run, then when something breaks theyre in floods of tears and cannot understand why. Girl near me has a 207 07 reg, only brake light that works is the one in the back window, 3 of her tyres are bald, its not been washed since god knows when either, its only got one wingmirror.. told her and shes not fussed..
Until she cops for 3 points then I'm sure it will be everybody elses fault.
Old 13-04-2014, 10:46 PM
natehall

Originally Posted by Oranoco
Until she cops for 3 points then I'm sure it will be everybody elses fault.
3 points per tyre!
Old 13-04-2014, 11:39 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

I don't know the ins and outs of ironing, washing up, knitting or baking so I don't expect my missus to know the difference between psi and bar.
as a pretty lady told me, shes an old fashioned feminist. shes modern and independent but still likes to have the door held open for her and to have a bloke around to sort out the oily bits.
Old 13-04-2014, 11:50 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Originally Posted by natehall
3 points per tyre!
Not if you follow the law correctly. The wording of the offence is:

Using a vehicle with defective tyre(s)
The (s) is the key point.

True that the cops regularly try and scare you with the 3 points per tyre thing but there is nothing in the legislation to contradict the wording of the offence as above.

I would certainly challenge it if a cop tried to give me 3 points per tyre. (although in reality i dont tend to drive with illegal tyres!!).

In fact a friend recently got taken to court for driving a shitter with 3 illegal tyres. The charge sheet had 3 illegal tyres however he was found guilty of the offence of driving with illegal tyres (with the s) and given only 3 points in total for it, but a hefty fine.
Old 13-04-2014, 11:56 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Originally Posted by fuzzy
as a pretty lady told me, shes an old fashioned feminist. shes modern and independent but still likes to have the door held open for her and to have a bloke around to sort out the oily bits.
in other words, like a lot of women today, she wants to have her cake and eat it when it comes to equality, yet keep the nice things about old fashioned "sexism" like men opening doors, men paying on dates etc.
Old 14-04-2014, 12:45 AM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

strange saying that, you cant eat your cake if you don't have it in the first place but pretty much so really. such is life ,although holding a door open is simply good manners rather than anything to do with sexism or equality.
and id rather fix oily bits than do the ironing etc so as long as I get to squeeze her nice soft jugs everyones a winner.
Old 14-04-2014, 12:57 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

although holding a door open is simply good manners rather than anything to do with sexism or equality.
You try telling that to the feminist nuts. a lot of them think its some kind of male dominance thing or a way for men to perve at women as they walk past etc.

And when i grew up i thought it was just innocently being polite.......
Old 14-04-2014, 07:17 AM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

I don't know the ins and outs of ironing, washing up, knitting or baking so I don't expect my missus to know the difference between psi and bar
Totally agree.

strange saying that, you cant eat your cake if you don't have it in the first place
Exactly ! If she doesn't know how to cook it I don't get cake, and I haven't got a clue ! Let them do what they do, and let us do what we do ! I don't want to cook and sew, she doesn't want to lay under a car.

Don't understand why so may people on here are going on about it ! We don't want to do what women do so be grateful they fuck off and let us get on with stuff that interests us !

Last edited by Mr S1; 14-04-2014 at 07:20 AM.
Old 14-04-2014, 08:46 AM
louis_2012
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Must be hard though being a good looking woman and having blokes perve on you, knowing full well all the bloke wants is the hole between your legs
Old 14-04-2014, 10:26 AM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 86 Posts

This thread has reminded me that I need to show the mrs how to change a wheel.

Told her she won't drive the car again if she calls the RAC to change the wheel. Unless she's on her own and the kids are in the car with her. I think that's an acceptable situation for calling road side assistance for a flat.
Old 14-04-2014, 10:41 AM
natehall

Not if you follow the law correctly. The wording of the offence is:

The (s) is the key point.

True that the cops regularly try and scare you with the 3 points per tyre thing but there is nothing in the legislation to contradict the wording of the offence as above.

I would certainly challenge it if a cop tried to give me 3 points per tyre. (although in reality i dont tend to drive with illegal tyres!!).

In fact a friend recently got taken to court for driving a shitter with 3 illegal tyres. The charge sheet had 3 illegal tyres however he was found guilty of the offence of driving with illegal tyres (with the s) and given only 3 points in total for it, but a hefty fine.
Cool, learn something new everyday :th:
Old 14-04-2014, 11:36 AM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

You try telling that to the feminist nuts. a lot of them think its some kind of male dominance thing or a way for men to perve at women as they walk past etc.
I guess they could be right. if its fat angry skinheads in dungarees that turn you on then maybe it could be used to perve at the feminists.
you sexist bastard!
Old 14-04-2014, 04:04 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

if its fat angry skinheads in dungarees that turn you on
Fucking awesome comment
Old 15-04-2014, 03:21 PM
chink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

funny thing here is my bird is a mot tester and tyre fitter by trade and has her own business so she mots my car and fits my tyres