General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

RTU "Super Engine"

Search this Thread

Old 24-11-2012, 08:32 PM
nixon_2wd
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RTU "Super Engine"

Anyone seen this? Real or fake?

http://www.rtugroup.com/revolutionar...iabatic-engine

I have several questions; they state 35deg.C coolant temp while the dyno (search RTU engine at youtube) software clearly shows 82degC coolant temperature.

-Dyno curves looks fake / manufactured in photoshop.
-Compressor cover shows 297degC, std for turbos on such power outputs.
-Piston is FLAT, hence no special case there.
-Inlet temp -20degC.. How exactly do you get a sustainable inlet temp at -20degC without any mechanical work?

They state stupid things such as "normal engines have 1200degC exhaust temp"...

Thoughts? I think its fake.
Old 24-11-2012, 08:44 PM
Cossie Sean
big floppy donkey dick

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Coolant temp was probebly 35deg entry to engine
curve looks fine, ever looked into 5 pot torque figures?
inlet temp needs no "mechanical work" to sustain -20degrees, what would happen living in sweden/norway? Engine disintegrate over winter? Audi did all the development there i think lol

these new 5 pot Audi motors do 600bhp with no internal work and only "bolt on" upgrades so 1000bhp would not be hard with that spec of managment.

amazing engines the new age 5 potter!

Sean
Old 24-11-2012, 08:53 PM
nixon_2wd

Thats not what im talking about mate, they state an efficiency of 70%. That means utilizing 70% of the energy stored in the fuel, compared to todays maximum of about 35%. If this had been possible F1 would have had it.

Oh I live in Norway, but at -20 theres usually snow and ice on the road, no need for 814hp :P
Old 24-11-2012, 09:13 PM
Cossie Sean
big floppy donkey dick

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol, i get your point about snow/ice i must have expressed my point wrong,

APR have also tested their 600bhp/600lb.ft 2.5 cars in sweden but im sure it wasnt all about drifting etc, oh and i belive that was on 93ron fuel too!

i had no idea you were on about super efficiency, but at those figures from a breif look, i would say it is possible,

modern diesels during re-gen process are developing the same power so drivers do not notice power loss, and temps are going from 300ish deg C to 800+!!

slightly off topic, but technology available today, may not be too far away for companys like that to produce super efficiency, agreed?
but if this were the case, i would have hoped to see over 1000bhp from that particular engine, fuel dependant 103RON/E85 etc may have a less agressive map on super boost, at -20deg the air density would be a massive help IMO

thaughts on that maby?
Old 24-11-2012, 10:13 PM
nixon_2wd

Originally Posted by Cossie Sean
i had no idea you were on about super efficiency, but at those figures from a breif look, i would say it is possible,
no, its not possible.
Old 25-11-2012, 11:40 PM
DakotaNative
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, the Audi TT RS Turbo is the 4th or 5th different engine Al Solaroli's patented Pseudo-Adiabatic engine technology has been applied to -- that I am aware of. Two of the engines are diesels, one a Porsche 935 K3, another was the engines used in Reggie Fountain's Rio Roses for a little R&D and of course the Audi. Results in all engines was similar to the Audi. 100+ increase in HP; huge increase in torque, 90%+ increase in fuel efficiency and a significant reduction in engine temperature. In addition to these he also installed a retro-fit kit on Senator McCain's 2005 Chevy DuraMax just prior to the US 2008 Presidential elections. McCain was so amazed with the results he spoke numerous times during the election cycle of how technology was going to eliminate or greatly reduce the importation of oil while greatly reducing the carbon emissions. This stuff is for real and the purpose of the video was to introduce it to the world.

Last edited by DakotaNative; 25-11-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old 26-11-2012, 11:14 AM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

Without knowing the technology and principals used then yes it is hard to believe. Until then I am open minded. Especially as manufacturers with millions or billions to spend on research haven't utilised the technology. Stratified combustion is the nearest thing I can think of but this isn't obviously the same.

However if you can utilise more of the energy stored in the fuel rather than turn it into heat and noise as we currently do with internal combustion engines then that energy conversion must become some other form of energy. If the result is less heat but the noise levels don't increase then surely that energy must become kinetic energy?
Old 26-11-2012, 11:50 AM
xr2wishy
Bodger of Blackburn

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

sounds rather far fetched, but if you can get intake temps below freezing you will drop the thermal transfer for sure.
i wonder how they get the temps so low though, must be one big mother of a heat exchange unit chewing some power.

just think of how much power you lose if an intercooler gets upto 60 degrees, get it dow to 20 and it's far more efficient and you can add more timing. so it does make some sense, i guess it does depend how the engine is used though.
Old 26-11-2012, 04:08 PM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

Apparently due to the reduced turbine temperatures the turbo operates at a lower temperature so the turbo produces a cooler charge to start with. It is then cooled by the intercooler and then the inlet manifold also has a hand in cooling it even further.
Old 26-11-2012, 04:17 PM
drsrst2zvh
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Nice video though I like that.
Old 26-11-2012, 06:47 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DazC
Apparently due to the reduced turbine temperatures the turbo operates at a lower temperature so the turbo produces a cooler charge to start with. It is then cooled by the intercooler and then the inlet manifold also has a hand in cooling it even further.
But it doesn't matter if you use 20 intercoolers, you still won't get the temps below ambient. They'd have to utilise a whole separate system to do so.
Old 26-11-2012, 08:44 PM
nixon_2wd

and to cool the air down to -20degC would take more energy than you are producing. theres no technology in the world capable of doing so in this tight space; and the amount of air we are talking.

if you study the video of the mapping you see that coolant temp is 82degC, not 35 as stated. the compressor-cover is 297degC; completly standard for a tuned car.

they even say that the temp from IC is about 35degC (which is fully achievable from a very effective IC), but a temp drop of 55degC between the IC and engine cylinder is not possible; mechanically (space restrictions) or chemically (sustainable, ie not liquid nitrogen etc)
Old 26-11-2012, 10:20 PM
Phil-N
Virgin

Default Its real: been there, touched it, and seen it perform

In 1886 No one had seen a car without a horse in-front of it
by 1904 they were doing 100MPH

Of course its real...

Anyone seen this? Real or fake?

Thoughts? I think its fake.
Old 26-11-2012, 10:22 PM
Phil-N
Virgin

Default There is NO INTRCOOLER !

and to cool the air down to -20degC

Where do you get he -20 from ?

would take more energy than you are producing. there's no technology in the world capable of doing so in this tight space; and the amount of air we are talking.

if you study the video of the mapping you see that coolant temp is 82degC, not 35 as stated. the compressor-cover is 297degC; completly standard for a tuned car.

they even say that the temp from IC is about 35degC (which is fully achievable from a very effective IC), but a temp drop of 55degC between the IC and engine cylinder is not possible; mechanically (space restrictions) or chemically (sustainable, ie not liquid nitrogen etc)[/quote]
Old 26-11-2012, 10:29 PM
Phil-N
Virgin

Default Now someone who knows !

[quote=DakotaNative;6099236]Actually, the Audi TT RS Turbo is the 4th or 5th different engine Al Solaroli's patented Pseudo-Adiabatic engine technology has been applied to -- that I am aware of. Two of the engines are diesels, one a Porsche 935 K3, another was the engines used in Reggie Fountain's Rio Roses for a little R&D and of course the Audi. Results in all engines was similar to the Audi. 100+ increase in HP; huge increase in torque, 90%+ increase in fuel efficiency and a significant reduction in engine temperature. In addition to these he also installed a retro-fit kit on Senator McCain's 2005 Chevy DuraMax just prior to the US 2008 Presidential elections. McCain was so amazed with the results he spoke numerous times during the election cycle of how technology was going to eliminate or greatly reduce the importation of oil while greatly reducing the carbon emissions. This stuff is for real and the purpose of the video was to introduce it to the world.

Mate: Al is a friend of mine, seen the "patented item" work several times ( you should have seen his E55 Benz boogie) What you have above is the early part of the story... what you see in the video ( and what I saw last week in Bratslavia at the release) is the new part of the story. I have the data taken from the dyno.. what you see is not always what you think you see.. This stuff is patented and sure the Audi, BmW, Renault engine boffins want to see more but the deals and paperwork need to be put in place first.. you will note the blurred out bits.... there is a reason...

You dont get a government of a country backing you for no reason at all... be it your own government or a former eastern block one....
Old 27-11-2012, 12:20 AM
DakotaNative
Virgin

Great, I wish I was there when you put the engine through it paces. I missed the E55 Benz, but I have been in his 2006 Duramax - it too is a screamer. The market for this technology is huge. From retrofit kits to engines to the hybrid - Electroliner - models. The opportunity to radically change the automotive/trucking industry along with reduction in carbon emissions if fantastic. The sky is the limit. Congratulations in participating in a truly wonderful event.

Last edited by DakotaNative; 27-11-2012 at 11:28 PM.