General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

which ebay parking sensors to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 16-08-2012, 08:23 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
And you seem to suggest that having more information available about your surroundings is a bad thing....quite a baffling train of thought. Maybe we should drive with blinkers on too ? So we dont get distracted ?
information is only useful if you have the common dog to use it in ADDITION to all the normal precautions needed with driving.

however im sure niether of us is niaive enough to think thats how most drivers use such aids.......

Also driving aids only tell PART of the story, however the lazy shits this country is populated by tend to be lazy and complacent and will rely on said devices. "Oh it beeps to tell me when to stop, so i cant understand how i hit that post/child/motorbike etc etc"
Originally Posted by Oranoco
I think you're getting a bit carried away. Nobody is saying ABS or other aids should be removed only that the driver should have the ability to drive without them. Performing an emergency stop without skidding is part of the test is it not. Far too many people stamp on the middle pedal and just let the electronics do the stopping. imho as soon as ABS kicks in you have failed in your task of controlling the vehicle.

With regards to training as mechanics nobody is suggesting that but some common basic knowledge should be a must. Number of times I've dealt with some soppy woman who has run their car out of oil and or water.
oranoco gets the point of carlos' and my comments.

driver aids do not replace good driving skills. However it is clear on the roads today that we have lots of bad skills to start with and driving aids just make many people more complacent.

eg mongs relying on gps and crashing etc People using "drive alert" or "lane deviation" systems rather than taking proper rest breaks. Number of womens cars ive been in with rear cameras with a small field of view meant for the final couple of metres of reversing, yet when reversing round a corner or parking they only look in the camera and have no fucking clue something else is behind out side the camera view! The number of mongs in bad weather who clearly either have no clue or are just relying on aids in the hope it gets them out of trouble.

and the wheel changing thing youre just being pedantic about people with no spare wheel, or a wheel nut they cant get off. its the mongs that dont know how to even try let alone get on with it that are the problem. And IMO a wheel change should be part of the test these days in addition to the basic pointing out oil filler cap etc. Perhaps even make them check oil level, fluid levels etc rather than just pointing them out. I see no problem with breakdown services charging penaltys for stupid breakdowns such as not knowing how to change a wheel. the good drivers have nothing to fear. The mong drivers have a choice, carry on and be out of pocket or buck up thier driving standards and knowledge.

sadly just telling the current generations what they should do doesnt cut it any more, you have to incentify them by hitting them where it hurts, which is the wallet in this materialistic worlds terms.

Cant say i agree thats how it should be, people should drive properly or at least try to, because its thier moral responsibility, just like its peoples moral responsibility to work for a living rather than dole dossing.... however we knoiw the reality is not so simple.

I would go further to say that skid pan training should be seriously considered along with motorway and country driving as part of a 2 stage testing system. eg current test to get you on road with heavy restrictions, then a part B test to get a full license.

Experiences of the vast majority of road users on such roads and bad weather conditions are justification enough IMO. Yes we might have had a bad few winters highlighting the bad weather driving issue greater than the "real" problem but ice and waterlogged roads/mud on roads/diesel etc are regular features of our country and should be considered in learning to drive. eg idiots i saw last winter just sitting there spinning the wheels or skidding like idiots because they are too heavy on the controls - weve had three harsh winters in a row so how can they not have worked out that heavy use on the controls doesnt work??? even the thickest person must realise after 5-10 seconds of wheel spinning that they are doing it wrong........

so whats their excuse?? none i can see.

And no im not a perfect driver, far from it. However i think i have a better attitude than most out there and because of that try to drive as concientiously as i practically can to remain reasonably safe.
Old 19-08-2012, 08:38 AM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Some of you (Warren specifically) really need to get a life outside of passionford....seriously. It's cringe reading all the know it all comments when not a single reply even answers the original question!
Old 19-08-2012, 11:00 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

get the ones with the display lights

they are about Ł25
Old 21-08-2012, 11:20 AM
Mister G
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sensors are a great idea, especially in more modern cars with high rear windows and deep tailgates or bumpers.

We have low posts all around our car park and I generally drive thirty different cars a day. On bigger cars it's a real godsend as you need to park up right for access.

Where they really come Ito their own is when you have a low wall or a car with no rear wiper or tinted windows.

Besides which, of it saves some idiot wacking my car whilst parking then I'm in full support....
Old 21-08-2012, 04:16 PM
david 100
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was driving tractors from the age of 13 reversing trailers, 4 and 2 wheelers no problem, been driveing artic trucks 34 years and no problem reversing, but,,put me in the wifes Saab convertible and its me f**ked.
Old 21-08-2012, 05:02 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by david 100
I was driving tractors from the age of 13 reversing trailers, 4 and 2 wheelers no problem, been driveing artic trucks 34 years and no problem reversing, but,,put me in the wifes Saab convertible and its me f**ked.
I know that feeling lol.
Old 07-12-2016, 05:43 PM
pissedon adventure
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*doles out a bunch of 'Driving Proficiency Badges' to the geeeeeeezzerrrrs..* Congratulations! \0/

So, the answer to the OP is that they help then yeah? Kinda like wing mirrors do, and brakes, indicators and the like. Not being one to guzzle petrol and beat my chest as I pronounce my sexual prowess and fighting ability, I opted to leave these cissy optional extras on my motor. Except the parking sensors that is, I don't have those, but was considering putting them on my car.. my hatchback car.. that doesn't have tinted windows, or any other excuse for wanting to throw light on a blind spot :O
*cue some fervent male bonding at my expense* It's cool, really, I honestly don't care. No need to thank me, just pay it forward

Last edited by pissedon adventure; 07-12-2016 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:09 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

Ha ha ha ha ha. Its a 4 year old thread.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:26 AM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

Well that was an interesting read lol! About time we had some more lively debates on the go. My motto had always been if u need parking sensors then u shouldnt be driving but I don't think people "need" them but if there fitted to the vehicle then it can only be a help as long as people don't become reliant on them. Cars nowadays are a million times safer than they have ever been thanks to technology moving on, i love classic cars with a passion but let's be honest a lot of new stuff is miles ahead to get us from a to b which is what most people in the general population need them for. On the other hand I'm glad all my cars up untill recently starting a family were fitted with chokes, carburettors and manual steering, taught me a lot! I have a 2015 Nissan note as our daily family transport and although a very capable little car for what we use it for it feels rather detached from the driver and the road for my liking. Once the 3 year pcp payments are up i shall be moving back to something a bit older like the e36 bmws I know and love! Never sell the Cossie I don't think mind!!
Old 08-12-2016, 05:27 AM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by pissedon adventure
*doles out a bunch of 'Driving Proficiency Badges' to the geeeeeeezzerrrrs..* Congratulations! \0/

So, the answer to the OP is that they help then yeah? Kinda like wing mirrors do, and brakes, indicators and the like. Not being one to guzzle petrol and beat my chest as I pronounce my sexual prowess and fighting ability, I opted to leave these cissy optional extras on my motor. Except the parking sensors that is, I don't have those, but was considering putting them on my car.. my hatchback car.. that doesn't have tinted windows, or any other excuse for wanting to throw light on a blind spot :O
*cue some fervent male bonding at my expense* It's cool, really, I honestly don't care. No need to thank me, just pay it forward

Name:  58771A47-D82A-48FF-B7CA-DB85F5804356_zpsc6bzxvni.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  52.8 KB
Old 08-12-2016, 06:43 AM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

My cmax parallel parks itself, it's a good feature that I use all the time as it does it right, first time every time. I am fully capable of parking a car myself but it's a good gimmick lol
Old 08-12-2016, 09:09 AM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

Completely off topic but I have an article in French Car Magazine (I know, i'll get my coat) and it has a R5 with audi 4.2 V8 in the boot, pm me an email addy and I will scan it for you if you want to see it? He did a twin engine one too.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:35 AM
Cos500
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by stu21t
Fuck me i only wanted to know if they are any good, not to be told i/she cant drive cos ive got Ł20 sensors lol.
I drive a sprinter van or l200 all day everyday and i have sensors in both just cos it makes life easier when parking them as its hard to see exactly how close you are. Doesnt mean i cant drive and when you park 10 times a day its just easier!

Wish i never asked now lol.
There's been times when I've reversed out of a space, especially at night and I've missed seeing a gate post or a high curb through being tired or just not seeing it, in the BMW with the tints in the back (factory) visibility is pretty poor and the sensors have saved it a few times, I don't rely on them but they do help every now and again.
They have been fitted aftermarket in my van too but not sure which ones, I use them a lot in the van when reversing into spaces or up to the garage etc.
Just look at the feedback comments and see which seller has the best reputation and get a set fitted.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:37 AM
Cos500

Originally Posted by RichieST
My cmax parallel parks itself, it's a good feature that I use all the time as it does it right, first time every time. I am fully capable of parking a car myself but it's a good gimmick lol
Parking sensors maybe but this?
Old 10-12-2016, 10:26 AM
burnzy
burnzy

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

I drive two cars without sensors and my daily does have sensors, it just makes life easier, I do find that I'll jump in either car that doesn't have sensors and I'll just reverse without looking and then very quickly have to take note of where I'm reversing too, as I say, when I'm tired or early in the morning it's great to just rely on the sensors.

When using the car a lot it's great to have things that make your life easier like cruise control, keyless entry, SBC stop, automatic rain and light sensors, and an automatic box, my weekend toy has ABS and that's it, I love driving it but it'd be a drag every day doing mundane journeys commuting to work and back where you can't enjoy it the actual driving experience, that's where I think Mercedes have got it down to a T, my e class doesn't handle well or have any character, but it does ride smoothly and is effortless to drive around all day, makes getting into my other car feel more of a special occasion which I love
Old 10-12-2016, 03:57 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I think the older you get having the most mundane but comfortable cruiser to do the daily grind is the way forward, I like to have the old classic for fun use but I wouldn't want to use it everyday nowadays like I used to
Old 10-12-2016, 04:59 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by gcfcos
I think the older you get having the most mundane but comfortable cruiser to do the daily grind is the way forward, I like to have the old classic for fun use but I wouldn't want to use it everyday nowadays like I used to
Agreed.
Driving an auto box is bliss.

Happily swap for a manual with performance though.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:31 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Carlos-Titx
Agreed.
Driving an auto box is bliss.

Happily swap for a manual with performance though.
The traffic on the way to my old workplace was getting so bad in the mornings I went out and bought a ÂŁ200 mk3 mondeo auto just for the daily commute lol
Old 10-12-2016, 05:41 PM
burnzy
burnzy

That's why I had to get rid of my mk3 mondy, I got it to a standard I was happy with and got fed up with the box that I was forever changing gears on, for myself personally the s211 Merc has so many little tricks up its sleeve that makes my life easier and makes you think how you managed without these things in your life
Old 10-12-2016, 05:57 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The traffic on the way to my old workplace was getting so bad in the mornings I went out and bought a ÂŁ200 mk3 mondeo auto just for the daily commute lol
I was always against auto boxes but that's the one thing I do like is town/traffic driving.

Maybe I can get rid of the jeep and get a performance auto
Old 10-12-2016, 06:28 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I was always against auto boxes but that's the one thing I do like is town/traffic driving.

Maybe I can get rid of the jeep and get a performance auto
To be honest mate if I could afford the fuel I'd never drive a manual again especially round town. Got the Cossie and drive all sorts of cars everyday at work so would keep my hand in on the manuals lol.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:17 PM
Cragrat
sit boo boo sit

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Bought a reversing camera and screen off eBay a couple of years ago for about Ł35 , took a few hours to install neatly on my transit and it makes parking the thing a lit easier, mate of mine gave me a load of chew over it then last month reversed his transit into his birds range rovers towbar. ..Karma ???
Old 10-12-2016, 07:21 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

To be honest mate if I could afford the fuel I'd never drive a manual again especially round town. Got the Cossie and drive all sorts of cars everyday at work so would keep my hand in on the manuals lol.
I only get 21 mpg from my diesel auto

Was hopping this year but now looking next year to change my motor but it'll be back into a ford or another yank tank but a simple petrol engine. Proper gone off diesels now.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:16 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Was hopping this year but now looking next year to change my motor but it'll be back into a ford or another yank tank but a simple petrol engine. Proper gone off diesels now.
Yeah we were discussing this at work that Diesel engines in cars have definitely had their day I think. Petrol and hybrid technology has moved on so much now
Old 10-12-2016, 11:17 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I think the powers that be known that one day we won't be able to rely on fossil fuels like we do now but we can have nuclear power and if cars are then electric we can still have vehicles. I wonder if there has been or if they'll ever be an electric commercial aircraft
Old 11-12-2016, 01:00 AM
Cos500

Yeah diesels are nothing but trouble, dpf filters and recirculating valves have killed em, cost of replacing them is rediculous, Ł2.5 k in my discovery, after you've taken the hit buying the thing over the cheaper equivalent petrol which do well on mpg anyway you'll never see a saving, company cars maybe but pretty soon they'll all be hybrids as a massive saving on tax.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:36 AM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I think in years to come the only diesels we'll see will be trucks, trains and old cars. Bet the price of the fuel will shoot up too
Old 11-12-2016, 10:57 AM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Cos500
Yeah diesels are nothing but trouble, dpf filters and recirculating valves have killed em, cost of replacing them is rediculous, Ł2.5 k in my discovery, after you've taken the hit buying the thing over the cheaper equivalent petrol which do well on mpg anyway you'll never see a saving, company cars maybe but pretty soon they'll all be hybrids as a massive saving on tax.
I've had nothing but trouble with my diesel. It's massively out me off them. Petrol is the way forward.

Modern diesels use more fuel now to reduce emissions, sounds daft but true.
Old 11-12-2016, 11:01 AM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I've had nothing but trouble with my diesel. It's massively out me off them. Petrol is the way forward.

Modern diesels use more fuel now to reduce emissions, sounds daft but true.
That's true mate for defo. Only good thing is some of them go like fook lol
Old 11-12-2016, 01:15 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

That's true mate for defo. Only good thing is some of them go like fook lol
Some do and get massive gains modding.

But when you used to get 2 injections of fuel per strike, it's like 7 or something? Going from a clip I seen if guy Martin fixing up an old Scania.
Old 11-12-2016, 04:55 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

But when you used to get 2 injections of fuel per strike, it's like 7 or something? Going from a clip I seen if guy Martin fixing up an old Scania.
I've seen that guy martin video it's good
Old 13-12-2016, 09:19 AM
dojj

I've seen that guy martin video it's good
whats that got to do with parking sensors
Old 13-12-2016, 10:07 AM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by dojj
whats that got to do with parking sensors
Parking sensors are such an oap style boring subject it had to be changed a bit lol
Old 13-12-2016, 03:48 PM
dojj

but what happens to those people who find that original oem sensors fail and then want to find replacements elsewhere?

i found that the holes were bigger for oem sensors and the replacements were much smaller and want to prevent others from falling into the same trap
Old 13-12-2016, 04:33 PM
burnzy
burnzy

Originally Posted by dojj
but what happens to those people who find that original oem sensors fail and then want to find replacements elsewhere?

i found that the holes were bigger for oem sensors and the replacements were much smaller and want to prevent others from falling into the same trap
I got some Chinese knock off sensors from china and they fitted fine in my e class, still going strong now and where a perfect fit

Think I paid Ł40 for 4 sensors or something cheap like that anyway, money well spent