General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

focus engine replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 06:01 PM
mark.crook@me.com
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default focus engine replacement

hi all,

recently purchased 2004 focus 1.8 di estate with bottom end banging with intention on replacing the entire block.
i managed to swap over all the ancillaries and fit the new(ish) engine, no problem, good compression from new block.
i believed that it was all timed up correctly however it would not start or run, , i came to the realisation that the bottom crank needed to be turned 360 to bring the pump on time.
i managed to get the car started after injector pump timed correctly with a little help from "are you startin" we drove the car around the block a few times, up to temperature and turbo working but the engine had quite a rattle still so i decided (luckily) to not drive the car home that night as i thought the pump may have been a tooth out.
the next morning the car was a complete non-starter so i adjusted the pump timing very slightly. tried boosting the battery still nothing, so i decided on some help from cold engine starter and BANG!! piston four is now hitting the valves
thank god i still have the old head!!!

does anyone have any idea on what may have happened here, im guessing the cambelt slipped a tooth because the cold start shot the pistons back the wrong way, never ever using that crap again!!! i checked the voltage of the glow plug/injector rail from cold start and all was good so i have no idea why it did not start the next day. what voltage should i have at the glow plugs???
i have had the engine mounts off 5 times now and this is getting extremely tedious.