General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Why would someone own a car for four years, and never register it in their name?

Search this Thread

Old 28-08-2008, 07:44 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why would someone own a car for four years, and never register it in their name?

As title. Seems an odd thing to do to me.

Get you off parking tickets etc I guess, but surely causes all kinds of hastle?
Old 28-08-2008, 07:45 PM
wirralphil
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i take it you mean the s2000?
Old 28-08-2008, 07:47 PM
smudgerz
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would be a pain when you had to tax it, unless you just kept the green slip and used that. Still seems a bit strange.....

Smudge
Old 28-08-2008, 07:49 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Stavros
As title. Seems an odd thing to do to me.

Get you off parking tickets etc I guess, but surely causes all kinds of hastle?
Something happened??
Old 28-08-2008, 07:52 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Whitey- Only good things!

Originally Posted by smudgerz
Would be a pain when you had to tax it, unless you just kept the green slip and used that. Still seems a bit strange.....

Smudge
That section 10 of the V5? The new keeper supplement? Makes sense, as he kept that. As I have that now.

Last edited by Stavros; 28-08-2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old 28-08-2008, 07:58 PM
richard_syko

How would you TAX it? Assuming it was?
Old 28-08-2008, 07:59 PM
Munch
Mr. Sparkle!

So what is the story with the S2000 mate, do you have it now?
Old 28-08-2008, 08:22 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

lopads of reasons,

insurance for one as theres ALOT of cossies ect in mummys or daddys name

if you got form for something big, saves getting a tug all the time

if your banned from driving,,, or to get out of points

if your up to some benifit/general crime scam and dont wanna loose it due to the proceeds of crime act

your bankrupt and had to get rid of some property

theres MORE reasons not to have something in your name than there is to have it in your name

getting it taxed aint a issue if its insured and taxed in the name,,, but wasnt this car not taxed ?

one of my cars is in my dads name so i can get a res permit as theres only 1 per household where i live
Old 28-08-2008, 08:29 PM
jaimesdna
Advanced PassionFord User

it was only in about the last 2 years that i've started putting cars in my name. tax isnt a problem as the people in the post office aren't the police & dont really care what you put infront of them
Old 28-08-2008, 09:16 PM
teamfatboy
Frog Tosser

This has just reminded me that my Series 1 in still not in my name 2yrs on. It hasn't been anywhere just lives in my unit polished and under cover
Old 28-08-2008, 09:18 PM
89xr2
Brap!

I know alot of people with un registered cars.. as ginge says. loads of reasons all illegal usually. I know the wrong people. haha.
Old 28-08-2008, 09:21 PM
TIFF
Chasing Radders

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have only had a very few of my cars in my name for various different reasons......

Infact, the only vehicle i have in my name at the minute is my transit van.....and even that is through the business...
Old 28-08-2008, 09:22 PM
cozzfather
C.R.E.A.M.

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i know of old rally cars still in well known previous owners names as the new owners think its worth more, i have seen the odd car that only comes out to shows used on trade plates and not registered in the new owners name to keep it a one owner and worth more when it comes to sell
Old 28-08-2008, 09:38 PM
xrsi

Originally Posted by cozzfather
i know of old rally cars still in well known previous owners names as the new owners think its worth more, i have seen the odd car that only comes out to shows used on trade plates and not registered in the new owners name to keep it a one owner and worth more when it comes to sell
if i was going to buy a car off someone that wasnt in their name i wouldnt buy it full stop no matter if its oly one keeper on the log book or not, just asking to buy a car that has dubious past/present ownership problems (ie stolen!)
Old 28-08-2008, 09:40 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by xrsi
if i was going to buy a car off someone that wasnt in their name i wouldnt buy it full stop no matter if its oly one keeper on the log book or not, just asking to buy a car that has dubious past/present ownership problems (ie stolen!)
theres ALOT of cars that are just like that

i know of 1 focus ST that was dropped off the ramp on delivery and needed a new front end on it,,,,, that was then delivered to the customer

and a escos that had its wheels nicked at the dealership
Old 29-08-2008, 12:00 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Ginge !
lopads of reasons,

if your up to some benifit/general crime scam and dont wanna loose it due to the proceeds of crime act
i thought they could only take property proven to be gained through proceeds of crime???

so if you had an honestly paid for car that would be safe?? or is it done to recover the value of stolen money???

oh and does wages legitimaty earned in a job you commited sackable offences in count as proceeds of crime subject to seizure??
Old 29-08-2008, 12:28 AM
neilm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I went to look at a 500 a bloke had stashed away, that he'd had for years and that wasnt in his name, he was just trying to keep the number of owners down to keep some value in the car.

In saying that I bought an Anglia off George Polley and I didnt register it in my name so when the new owner bought it it would have George as the previous owner, only relevant if you are into short oval racing I guess but still nice to be able to show

I guess the only issue you would get was if it was stolen, could be difficult to prove it was your car if it wasnt in your name. I know the log book isnt ultimate proof, but in the situation when you have no receipts from a previous owner its the only 'proof' you have of actually owning the car

Last edited by neilm; 29-08-2008 at 12:29 AM.
Old 29-08-2008, 05:30 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
i thought they could only take property proven to be gained through proceeds of crime???

so if you had an honestly paid for car that would be safe?? or is it done to recover the value of stolen money???

oh and does wages legitimaty earned in a job you commited sackable offences in count as proceeds of crime subject to seizure??

if you AINT got a job ( on the dole) and sel drugs, rob people ect ect ect and theres no clear way you owned that WITHOUT the crimes they can prove against you,, then they take it off you

IF you have a full time job,, and get caught selling drugs ect its harder to prove HOW MUCH drugs you been selling,,,, as its not like you get a invoice to track

so alot of people now have jobs and runners ect to avoid this

long gone are the days of signing on with a porshce carrera S with a gold pen

need to have some reason to show WHY you have this shite

anyone in london who remembers the adams family will remember most of em live in council houses and when this act came about they couldnt buy flash cars ect as they had no way to launder there cash well enough,,,,,, not to mention the reason WHY they was caught out was cause they killed there accountant who was stealing off them pmsl

i love the irony of that