General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

mk3 mondeo fuel pump change

Search this Thread

Old 22-09-2007, 01:52 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts
Default mk3 mondeo fuel pump change

some advice for anyone who is contemplating doing it

don't
nearly 4 horus later the fooker has just about been taken apart and i've just about figured out how the pipes go back again

it was looking like violence was needed so out came the hammer
and then it wasn't used as i decided it was going to cost me a fuel tank (they are plastic) so some general ongabonga type caveman style shaking of various bits and pipes ensued and, eventually, the filler pipe came out of the tank

if it had come out in the first place the job would have been done by now, but no, i've had to go and break the little plastic locking ring on the end as well

food then back to it
Old 22-09-2007, 01:56 PM
Nath
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is why I use Craig/ Moose130 ...everytime I lift the bonnet up I end up loosing skin on my hands
Old 22-09-2007, 05:50 PM
dojj

finished putting it back together again about an hour ago
phew
Old 22-09-2007, 06:00 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

glad you got it done mate! So was it playing up again? cos the old pump was working ok again wasn't it?

rich
Old 22-09-2007, 08:09 PM
dojj

it would work sometimes but at other times it wouldn't, so better to change it now it's not cold and wet

it could be heard running when it was working, but the times it wouldn't, there was no buzzing when it was cranking, even though the test light showed there was power going to it

also, when i opened it up, the wires that go to the pump are immersed in the tank itself and trher were signs of corrosion on the plug that went to the pump itself

6 hours work with the aid of my dad and, to be prefectly honest, the feul tank filler pipe is still a bit wonky as the locking clip hasn't quite pinged home yet, but there were so many problems with this job it was unreal
i even had to use the new blanking locking clips the pump came with because the old ones wouldn't lock into place

and if you try to change the pump withou the tank being out on the deck, you can't line the pump top plate up with the tank because you can't see what you are doing and it gets cross threaded every time as you have to push down and turn it at the same time

i'll do a write up if anyone wants to know what they need to do, but i think i've ben lucky it's an estate as there is much more room underneath, if it was a hatch of a saloon with different rear suspension it would be much more complicated