General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Mondeo gear changing problem

Old 09-08-2007, 06:43 AM
The Rapid 1
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mondeo gear changing problem

Morning

Drove to work last night (only like 5 mins ) and all seemed fine

Come out this morning seemed a bit hard to put in gear, missed third cos of it then when tried again thats when i realised it really was hard to put into gear, not just me being half asleep

clutch seems to have plenty of feel and pressure, well as much as normal, and aint been slipping or anything recently.

Now tried all gears and really hard to actually like push into posistion, not hard to find where it normally is, not hard as crunching or anything, just needing a hard push to get it in then it slips in ok.

The car a 98/99 ( S reg) 2.5 v6 manual (obviously lol)
Had a quick look in the manual and recons it got cable linkage from 97 on so guess that is what it should have.

Had the air con regassed yesterday, and had the car running ouside home for say 10 mins unattended, and when i came back to it, I could hear a little rattle from the engine bay, but was only faint so didnt think much of it , obviously it now early in the morning so dont want to run the car to try and locate the rattle and upset the neighbours

And am off to bed now after a night shift, but just wondered if anyone had or knows of anything similar they know of in the past or a common fault maybe. wondering if the cables can be adjusted to allow smoth changing if stretched, or more likely snapped one or 1 or two need adjusting etc etc, or if likely to be summit totaly else

Gonna ring my mechanic later and see what he recons, answer your phone Dave

Cheers for any input

Steve
Old 09-08-2007, 09:14 AM
The Youth.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

pull up the gear lever leather gaiter and you will see 3 allen headed bolts holding the lever to the floor, check they are tight as I have seen a few of these come loose and that affects the ability to change gear.

as for the knocking it could be the timing chain tensioner..
also have you changed the water pump for a metal impellor one?
If not do it NOW!!!!!

steve
Old 09-08-2007, 01:08 PM
The Rapid 1

ye, have heard gear change rods and mountings etc comming loose can affect the selection that is what makes me think of these cables, cos just to all of a sudden go bad with no warning etc.
The noise really aint a knocking of any type just a quiet rattle, at first i thought the guy who did the air con had maybe forgotten to put the valve caps back on and they had fallen down somewhere and where "rattling" thinking more now some nut on the cables come loose and "rattling" and the cables gone out of adjustment or hanging off or summit.

Whats up with the water pump

Bet it gonna be one of them things now lol, never had a problem with it, now I know it gonna go wrong lol

Thanks for the answers anyway

Steve
Old 09-08-2007, 01:44 PM
dave green
PassionFord Post Whore!!

See ya tonight Steve

Dave
Old 09-08-2007, 02:28 PM
The Rapid 1