Garage / Workshop & Tools Section. Given working on your pride and joy is often one of the reasons cited for owning a Ford, post all your garage and tool collection pictures and questions in here.

Snap-On/Mac Tools question

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 12:20 PM
Windy RST
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just been reading this thread and thought I'd give my opinion.

I've been in the trade all my life since I left school, when I started out 12 years ago I thought I'd buy decent snap on stuff. I soon realised that it's not amazing quality and it's a complete rip off, I rate it same quality as halfords professional, signet and draper expert all about half the price. The only good thing about it is the tool guy comes round to see me at work which saves me hassle. I refuse to spend all the money on it to benefit my work place whilst I get a pretty low wage. I also bought a mac tools stack tool box which didn't last all the runners fell apart I googled the part number and it came up as a Stanley part!!

At the end of the day your paying for the name and you can get the same quality tools for around half the price!

That's my opinion anyway!!
Old 04-09-2012, 12:22 PM
Windy RST
Virgin

Forgot to say the older snap on tools are better quality but still pricey!
Old 05-09-2012, 08:20 PM
j6kyt
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most of my tools are snap on / blue point and to me there worth every penny as they don't tend to break like cheaper quality tools, and if the do i get them replaced with no questions asked and they do get some stick.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:06 AM
jameswrx
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Anyone noticed how flimsey the new snap on boxes are?

My boss has one of the new 40" rollers and top box. Pull a loaded drawer out and it wobbles like a jelly.

I've got a Mac 40" box and it's a few years old but so much sturdier. I'd sooner have an older one than these new ones, they look nice but can't see them lasting like mine. And the plastic drawer lock lever things too, poor show.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:14 PM
oibren85
If in Doubt Flat Out...

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/toolclub23...&_trksid=p3686

these sell US PRO boxes and always look alright. Gonna get one when i have spare cash. Would love Snap On but cant justify the price as just using it for track day car and general maintenance around the car.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:46 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by ajamesc
why bother a tool box is a tool box no need the spend 1000s on one get on ebay and buy a second hand one or get down machine mart or halfords its whats in it that counts!
Completely disagree. Having had Machine Mart, and Halfords top boxes in my vans over the years, the Snap On one I've had for the past 5 years beats both hands down, every day of the year. The Machine Mart one couldn't handle being in a van at all, and twisted and warped within months (the whole chassis went out of shape, the drawers warped and weren't smooth, etc). The Halfords one was better, but only lasted a year or so before the drawers became loose and wobbly, and the lid went out of line, causing the runners that connect to it that go down the inside to secure the drawers shut, failed.

The Snap On one, bought second hand, has had none of these problems. It still completely straight, the drawers are smooth and solid, the lid stayed true (until I removed it because there wasn't space in the new van to open and close it!). It's been in 4 vans over 5 years (plus a couple of rental vans while mine was away for repair) and has been bang on.

You get what you pay for
Old 08-09-2012, 08:31 PM
saph4be
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a old shit top my dad gave me in 1995! Still does the job!!!! Snap on are a tip off end off my tools are all cheap and last fine!
Old 09-09-2012, 10:11 AM
cossie.con
Regular Contributor

Default Tools rant

I have a couple of comments to make on my past experience with tackle so here goes

1) Halfords are total and complete txxxxrs. I bought there 150 peice set(i think) Ł150 at the time so thought no probs when I broke a torques. Took it back and was told some rubbish to push me away from it being replaced. Any how just recently taken back a 1/2 inch breaker bar that I broke the end off only to be told that I need proof of purchase.(It has halfords stamped in it) I even tried to bu the part that it needs to put it right but to no avail. Then a friend was telling me the other day that the ink that there receipts are printed with is designed to only last a short period.(dont know how true)

2) Snap on are for sure going down the pan IMO I purchased a set of grips recently and when my dealer came round the week after I expressed my views on them and he kind of seemed to agree and said that he was in talks with Irwin and once a deal was sorted would be happy to change them.
Old 18-11-2012, 04:09 PM
northenhunk
bitten by the rs bug

Originally Posted by 3i_gaz
Disagree totally

i agree in that i disagree totally aswell there is an incredable differance in shit tin you get at machine mart or halford against the double layerd skins and roller bearing slider lock and roll snap on boxes
Old 18-11-2012, 05:03 PM
Gazzonator
Gary Krishna

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

I've had Snap-on tools every since I started in the trade at 16 as my dad gave me a tool chest full that was like new as he hardly used them.

The chest is older than I am (I'm 30) and is still absolutely spot on, doubt you could say that about many other makes!

As for the tools, I can't really knock them either.

I'm in the process of replacing a lot of my tools after a lot of them got lost (not by me! ) and it's skinning me alive!!
Old 18-11-2012, 06:28 PM
Shilly
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by oibren85
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/toolclub23...&_trksid=p3686

these sell US PRO boxes and always look alright. Gonna get one when i have spare cash. Would love Snap On but cant justify the price as just using it for track day car and general maintenance around the car.
Guy I work with bought a us pro box and its shit rollerss are cheap looks like a kitchen counter more then a tool box I've got simular box to him but by teng and its a million miles better
Old 14-03-2013, 01:23 AM
crashtest

i know this is an old thread but have to add my bit anyway i've been a panel beater for 38 years and always bought good tools snap-om mac and othe good names and all have served me well untill a few years ago when snap-on quality went down hill quite a bit. i decided that i'd bought my last snap-on tool a couple of years ago when after buying a set of punches and using one to drift out the center of a rivet on a fiesta rear bumper it bent like it was made of butter. i gave it back to the dealer the next week he visited us and was told that only the us made tools are covered with the lifetime warranty "what a load of bollocks" twelve months on he jacked it in and now we dont have a van come round i'm now the very pisssed off owner of two wornout ratchets and a couple of split sockets that i cant change cos snap-on dont have a man who can spare the time to visit us even tho we have nine techs who used to buy tools.
i have a 40th anniversary (2004) limited edition rool cab and top box that is rock solid while my mate has a three year old box same size that is very flimsy and nowhere near as solid as mine.

Last edited by Mark 3D; 14-03-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 14-03-2013, 06:34 AM
AJC
10K+ Poster!!

Received 83 Likes on 73 Posts

That's a very nice box.
Old 14-03-2013, 11:45 PM
crashtest

Originally Posted by AJC
That's a very nice box.
yep...

Last edited by Mark 3D; 05-01-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 15-03-2013, 06:06 AM
AJC
10K+ Poster!!

Received 83 Likes on 73 Posts

If be interested if I didn't already have mine.

I bought a halfords socket set last weekend as it was reducef to Ł72 from Ł200 and tried it out last night. . The quality of the products is not as good as snap on.
Old 15-03-2013, 07:43 AM
xr2wishy
Bodger of Blackburn

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

the Halfords advanced/pro/industrial stuff is good, especially for the price. the quality isn't Snap-On though, supposedly made by SP, who again are good.
Snap-On is the best, no doubt there, but the cost is way ahead of the rest and i couldn't justify teaming up with the local supplier and changing over to them.
ultimately you buy to your needs, if you are needing tools everyday, you buy the stuff that is least likely to let you down, even if it is at a premium.
much like any trade, you don't see a sparky buying the cheap b+q drills, even the makita's in the combo boxes, they buy the far more expensive models because they just last better even though they cost two to three times more.
Old 18-03-2013, 09:18 AM
jameswrx
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Crashtest is spot on. The quality of snap on stuff these days is rubbish compared to years ago.

I've got plenty of their new tools and very disappointed in the quality. Screwdrivers with coating flaking off tips, bad corrosion on stuff, spanners with finish coming off, new fine tooth ratchets with slipping mechanisms!
Old 18-03-2013, 08:24 PM
gingerturbo
The annoying ginger guy

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Other than snap on/blue point and Halfords range, the whole mac/falcom/britool/sealy/us pro etc are all owned by Stanley, I've got thousands of tools some last some don't, but as for snap on its only the convenience that they come to ya door which is why I throw my money at them, otherwise I'd use Bergen and falcom
Old 14-04-2013, 01:11 AM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

On the subject of toolboxes when I replaced my cheap ish set up I decided to go with my cornwell tools dealer instead of our snap on man as the box I wanted was Ł1800 inc vat from cornwell and almost 4 grand from snap on for same size box. Now being a mechanic the draws are opened and shut all day everyday. Within 3 months it started to deteriorate, draws were sagging, the bit to stop the draws opening on there own have now packed up on most draws so when I walk away and come back to the box a few draws are always open! Took it apart and had a closer look and it's pretty much a cheapo tool box which would prob be more suited to occasional home use. My works-mate has a 20 year old nice snap on box in great condition and its faultless! So looked into getting a new snap on one the other week, looked at the sticker on my mates 50 odd inch wide stupidly expensive one and it said made in china! Sod that ill keep my eyes out for a nice second hand 20 year old one thank u! I think for home use any toolbox would fit the bill as long as u can fit your tools in it, no need to spend daft money on boxes and tools for occasional use, halfords and machine mart are great for that. I even get some stuff from there too as sometimes can't afford the snap on stuff. But when I can afford snap on, from the first time u use that tool u can feel the quality! Like a magpie to the shiny tools on the snap on van! Rip off though
Old 27-07-2013, 02:04 PM
Ellis1990
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Default snap on tools

snap on tools are the best id say, had about 10000 quids worth. been a hgv mechanic since i was 16 and walked into wok 4 months ago to find my pristine box smashed up and all my tools gone, i work for a set of wankers and they are dragging out paying for it, cant wait to get it all back then its new job time for me. the advantage of cheap tools is that no scumbag wants to steal them.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:29 PM
karl mcghee
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

i have most makes of tools from cheap to snap-on plus to snap-on boxes

a dont mined the cheap ones but like everything else dont buy cheap torx bit they will last on one turn and break
Old 05-01-2014, 04:40 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
Completely disagree. Having had Machine Mart, and Halfords top boxes in my vans over the years, the Snap On one I've had for the past 5 years beats both hands down, every day of the year. The Machine Mart one couldn't handle being in a van at all, and twisted and warped within months (the whole chassis went out of shape, the drawers warped and weren't smooth, etc). The Halfords one was better, but only lasted a year or so before the drawers became loose and wobbly, and the lid went out of line, causing the runners that connect to it that go down the inside to secure the drawers shut, failed.

The Snap On one, bought second hand, has had none of these problems. It still completely straight, the drawers are smooth and solid, the lid stayed true (until I removed it because there wasn't space in the new van to open and close it!). It's been in 4 vans over 5 years (plus a couple of rental vans while mine was away for repair) and has been bang on.

You get what you pay for
tool boxes in vans take a right beating bouncing up and down lol! I've a snap on mid section and top box second hand and a Clark bottom box had that set up for 12 years with out issue only new bit is a mac side chest hanging off it!
It cracks me up when the younger guys at work strap them selfs up on a 3 grand plus box fuck that! It's what's in it that counts lol
Old 07-01-2014, 07:59 AM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Its quite simple

Like everything in life ,,, you get what you pay for ,,

I have been buying snap on tools for well over 20 years and i have quite am impressive collection , and i have such a collection because they are fantastic tools and are a pleasure to use compared with cheaper brands

I have never had anything refused to be replaced either

I will say tho that there new range of tool boxes are far less quality , but saying that there prices have also dropped , i think they have tried to make there range cheaper but to do so have obviously reduced there costs

If you use tools all day every day then you sure will see and feel the benefit of snap on , if you use your tools for hobby then youprobs cant justify the extra costs

Its the same with everything , I bet a full time painter and decorator buys very expensive paint brushes , but i buy cheap from Band Q as i wont understand the benefit of the top notch stuff like they do
Old 07-01-2014, 08:16 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

I use my tools every day and have snap on mac and lots of other makes and these days have largely given up on the fashion brands lol
Here's my tool box on my daf aid van! And bearing in mind when I'm on call I could get called out to anything and un like cars we don't just look at it they want it fixed! some of my cheaper tools do just as well
Name:  image_zps8207322a.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  86.3 KB

Last edited by ajamesc; 07-01-2014 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:44 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Just bought this one made in USA krl

Name:  A6CD2031-10A8-4197-9D17-EF4611CEBF84_zpsjl0rsvsl.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  113.7 KB
Old 05-09-2014, 09:21 PM
MikeyRobbo
PS3 - MikeyRobbo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old thread I know but i'll throw my 2 pence in

Personally I think Snap On tools are good quality tools yes, but the best? I wouldn't say so. I don't think there could ever be an overall 'best' tool maker tbh. I've had various branded ratchets, all worked fine for years except my Snap On one which has broken twice in 2 months!! But on the other hand I've had various branded screwdrivers and a lot of cheap shitty ones, Snap On ones still beat them all! Different tool makers excel others at certain tools, no one can be good at everything.

I only buy Snap On tools now. Only reasons for this? They come to me, I can pay weekly, I can trade old tools in and the majority of things have lifetime warranty.

Snap On is more of a service than a tool maker imo, and you certainly pay for it too.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:58 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by MikeyRobbo
Old thread I know but i'll throw my 2 pence in Personally I think Snap On tools are good quality tools yes, but the best? I wouldn't say so. I don't think there could ever be an overall 'best' tool maker tbh. I've had various branded ratchets, all worked fine for years except my Snap On one which has broken twice in 2 months!! But on the other hand I've had various branded screwdrivers and a lot of cheap shitty ones, Snap On ones still beat them all! Different tool makers excel others at certain tools, no one can be good at everything. I only buy Snap On tools now. Only reasons for this? They come to me, I can pay weekly, I can trade old tools in and the majority of things have lifetime warranty. Snap On is more of a service than a tool maker imo, and you certainly pay for it too.
Yeah that's true mate, I couldn't afford to buy tools outright so I pay weekly for them. The only stuff I'm wary of is the blue point stuff as I been told it's not made by snap on at all. I don't rate the snap on screwdrivers at all myself as they don't seem to last but I got a couple of draper screwdrivers that are mint

Last edited by gcfcos; 05-09-2014 at 10:03 PM.
Old 13-11-2014, 12:25 AM
Ellis1990

Bad thing about snap on is people steal it, I lost 12.5 grand me. Bastardw if I won the lottery id pay for somone to find them and id have them paralysed
Old 13-11-2014, 09:40 PM
Twizz
Out of many, we are one.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With anything, you've got to make them struggle to get it. A mate had a LWB Transit where he used to be a mobile mechanic, compressor, Snap On tool boxes filled with practically a garage full of tools (specialized tools he had in a lock up) nicked when he was test driving a customers car - few hours later the van appears after being gutted. The garages I've got are all alarmed with CCTV - it wont stop them, just would help trying to deter them.

In regards to tools, I've got a range from Snap On, Mac, Blue Point, SP, Halfords Draper, Britool, Sealey etc etc etc (a lot of older stuff)... I struggle to find anything that beats Snap On although saying that, I have found some of the things such as torx and ratchet mechanisms getting slightly weaker over the years - think thats with everything though. The newer halfords ratchets for example are nothing like they used to be - draper etc have all gotten cheaper in quality and price ive found.

For the price of a Snap On box off the dealer, you may be able to find an older second hand unit WITH tools on eBay.

Last edited by Twizz; 13-11-2014 at 09:41 PM.
Old 14-11-2014, 07:25 PM
MikeyRobbo
PS3 - MikeyRobbo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Snap On ratchets still misbehaving, broken another 3 times since my last post. Cunts won't warranty me a new one either just fit new teeth every time
Old 15-11-2014, 04:18 PM
Ellis1990

Originally Posted by MikeyRobbo
My Snap On ratchets still misbehaving, broken another 3 times since my last post. Cunts won't warranty me a new one either just fit new teeth every time
What ratchet is it? Because if its a sealed head rarchet I think there was a problem with the bacl plate, the new ratchets screw from the front instead of the back. Contact snap on directly things may change.
Old 15-11-2014, 04:21 PM
Ellis1990

Originally Posted by Twizz
With anything, you've got to make them struggle to get it. A mate had a LWB Transit where he used to be a mobile mechanic, compressor, Snap On tool boxes filled with practically a garage full of tools (specialized tools he had in a lock up) nicked when he was test driving a customers car - few hours later the van appears after being gutted. The garages I've got are all alarmed with CCTV - it wont stop them, just would help trying to deter them.

In regards to tools, I've got a range from Snap On, Mac, Blue Point, SP, Halfords Draper, Britool, Sealey etc etc etc (a lot of older stuff)... I struggle to find anything that beats Snap On although saying that, I have found some of the things such as torx and ratchet mechanisms getting slightly weaker over the years - think thats with everything though. The newer halfords ratchets for example are nothing like they used to be - draper etc have all gotten cheaper in quality and price ive found.

For the price of a Snap On box off the dealer, you may be able to find an older second hand unit WITH tools on eBay.
I was working for a company and there security mysteriously stopped working that night, iv commented this post about it myself. Nearly replied to my own post from 2 years ago. Only got paid out 8000 instead of 12500. Allianz insurance are a set of wankers and I would strongly recommend avoiding. Dont want to sound pathetic but it messed up my life big time. Full on fried my brain and turned me into a real angry bastard.
Old 19-11-2014, 01:10 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I'm a mechanic and I use snap on, mac, draper, brittool, halfords. In fact pretty much anything as long as it lasts. Snap on is the best I got but costs so much money. Just spend 1000s on a new box and battery impact tools but use them day in day out