Ford XR Range This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford XR Range of cars.

Just bought 89 3i Cab, dipped beam faulty and wobble when driving

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 03:32 PM
CyprusMatt
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Just bought 89 3i Cab, dipped beam faulty and wobble when driving

Hi All,

I'm new to PF so hi, any help appreciated.
I Live in Cyprus and have just purchased an 89 3i Cab, fantastic condition body wise, but a couple of initial probs. The hood is shot but just ordered a new one from Carhood.com, the concerning parts are the dipped beam is not working and there is quite a wobble when driving. I am reasonably confident at trying most repairs so any help would be great.
Parts are almost non existent out here so I want to try and repair what I can.
Any ideas on what to check first? I have reasonable amount of tools and axle stands so no a prob to do most fixes.

thanks in advance

Matt
Old 07-06-2013, 08:01 PM
chris m1
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Dipped beam may be a few things, a loose connection. dodgy earth, worn out relay (little white ones in fuse box) or even a worn out stork. Do you have any lights at all?

By wobble do you mean vibration or the whole car crashes and bangs? cyprus does have some rough roads so it may be as simple as a lost wheel weight to worn suspension bushes, springs etc
Old 09-06-2013, 12:51 PM
CyprusMatt
Virgin

Hi Chris,

I have swapped the relays first but that had no effect, upon closer inspection it appears that there has been some bodge job rewiring behind the stalk as there is tape and all sort of mess behind! Doh. I have side lights and full beam when I pull the stalk, but that's it.

Regards to the wobble, there is a slight pull left and it the steering shakes the closer to 60mph I get, maybe just tracking?

I really could do with a photo/diagram of the wiring from the indicator stalk through to the lights if any1 knows where I can get one?!

Many Thanks again
Update! I have managed to temporarily swap he sidelight wires to the main lamps but they only stay of full beam, small problem! how do I, if possible, adjust the angle of the lights down so not to blind oncoming traffic?! Untill I manage to get new wiring or at least a diagram to repair the old wiring, this will have to do.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Last edited by CyprusMatt; 09-06-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:13 PM
chris m1
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

The beam is adjusted by screwing in the little ball socket on the lamp, as for a wiring diagram.. heres a link to a diagram that may help. http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?sa=X&...6&tx=159&ty=66

As for the wobble sounds to me like the wheels need a balance and tracking check.. It may also be that the bushes have seen better days aswell