Ford XR Range This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford XR Range of cars.

Few questions about the XR3

Old 19-07-2012, 11:24 AM
Matt-t
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few questions about the XR3

Hello all,
thanks for looking a family member just bought a XR3i

First off i was expecting this intake (pic from google)

But it has a different intake, it looks like an RS Turbo inlet manifold with a black pipe over the rocker cover but goes to the drivers side of the car no the passenger side, this black pipe is also a Y-shape if i remember correct any ideas?

is it actually and XR3i inlet?
Also how do i remove the steering wheel i have removed the ford badge from the middle of the wheel and the horn etc is under it, how do i remove it.

Thanks all
Old 19-07-2012, 11:36 AM
nicksaph
PassionFord Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that will be the EFi version mate, is post 1990 by any chance?
Old 19-07-2012, 11:39 AM
Less.
having a mid life crisis

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Can not answer about the inlet sorry

But regarding the steering wheel do you have a four prong wheel brace,find the one that fits the nut hold and turn it will come off,you might find it easier for someone to hold the steering while you do this.Will only take a couple of seconds to remove the nut and then just lift the steering wheel up
Old 19-07-2012, 12:10 PM
Matt-t
Virgin

It is a 1990 on a G reg.
When i looked at it i thought it was all correct as it was the EFI, the family member who i was with was trying to tell me it was wrong as should be as above.
So thanks for the confirmation there.

Regards the steering wheel its getting access to the nut that is proving difficult, the horn is in the way i managed to take the "Ford" center cap part out and the horn is of course situated underneath, i did not want to try and pull it out incase i broke it

thanks for replies lads
Old 19-07-2012, 02:27 PM
Danwood79
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by Matt-t
It is a 1990 on a G reg.
Regards the steering wheel its getting access to the nut that is proving difficult, the horn is in the way i managed to take the "Ford" center cap part out and the horn is of course situated underneath, i did not want to try and pull it out incase i broke it

thanks for replies lads
Pull the horn out then get a small flat head screwdriver and remove the plastic piece under that by leavering it out with the screwdriver then unclip the wires and then undo the nut but leave on a couple of threads, make sure the steering lock is off and pull the wheel towards you so it comes loose then remove nut compleatly and take wheel off.

Dan
Old 19-07-2012, 02:51 PM
Twizz
Out of many, we are one.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As said above. The black plastic piece you've reached just needs to be prised out with a flat head screw driver. Next, disconnect the horn wires (if you connect them the horn will sound - might be easier to wrap one with some insulting tape). Now you reach the nut - leave the steering locked you can open the nut easier but make sure when you come to remove the steering wheel (I'd leave as suggested a few threads of the nut still on there so when you pull the wheel it doesn't fly out and take your front teeth out) you open the steering as there is a bolt that "locks" it.

Has your inlet got EFI stamped into it?
Old 19-07-2012, 02:58 PM
20004x4
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Danwood79
undo the nut but leave on a couple of threads, make sure the steering lock is off and pull the wheel towards you so it comes loose then remove nut compleatly and take wheel off.
just to add, iirc the wheel is spring loaded so as above under 90% then pull the wheel towards you letting the tension go then you can undo the rest to remove the wheel
Old 26-07-2012, 11:54 AM
cos 4x4
PassionFord Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get on the xroc forum mate for a lot more info on your xr