Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Cooling tips 2wd Cosworth

Search this Thread

Old 25-12-2005, 11:06 AM
m_nettleship
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling tips 2wd Cosworth

what should I replace on the cooling side to make sure everythind stays okey dokey, thermastat????? temp sensors?????
Old 25-12-2005, 07:57 PM
vyper developments
Regular Contributor

Hi all and merry christmas.
why do you want to replace cooling system components?

CheeRS, Mike.
Old 25-12-2005, 08:58 PM
whitecossie
PassionFord Regular

basicly mate if it works dont try and fix it, ive had loads of bother with mine tried a new fan switch themo flush checked all the wires they are fine so ive put in a switch so if i get worried i can overide it and switch them life savers on ,
Old 27-12-2005, 01:30 PM
m_nettleship
PassionFord Post Troll

Were does ur gauge sit? mine sits dead on the O,
Old 28-12-2005, 06:12 AM
snow*
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Hey buddy, I've just changed the following sensors on my Sapphire mate as it's mid summer over here in New Zealand.
These four senosrs should be a good start if you want to make sure everything is all good under the hood.

* 2WD Fan Switch - Finnis: 7001614

* 2WD Temperature gauge sender - Finnis Code: 6145143

* 2WD ECU temperature sender - Finnis Code: 1639283

* 2WD Thermostat - Finnis Code: 1635905
Old 28-12-2005, 02:55 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

or take your thermostat out if your worried about it overheating?

Lees thermostat wasnt working and the car never ever overheated or got to anywhere past the P on temp gauge, now hes put one in ( i was moaning about being cold on a morning lol ) it warms up to inbetween the E and M but he worries bout it doin the headgasket permanently lol

take it out and dont worry about it lol

Sarah
Old 29-12-2005, 12:38 PM
rabmc
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mines sits below R on the guage constant when im out and thats just the way it is Some are different but i wouldnot read too much into what that old 15+ year old guage is telling you

Ive also got a racetech watertemp guage in-car just to make sure , sometimes i ponder ditching my water off the turbo , because i feel this does add a bit of heat and stress to the system , but who knows
Old 29-12-2005, 02:28 PM
m_nettleship
PassionFord Post Troll

I would say rthe turbo doing that. CHEERS SNOW FOR THE INFO, HOPE THERE NOT TO DEAR.
Old 29-12-2005, 06:40 PM
vyper developments
Regular Contributor

Hi All,
I have previously posted this reply reference temp senders and gauges. Fot those of you that didnt see it here ut is again:

I have owned the same 2WD sapphire for nearly six years now and have replaced the temp senders on quite a few occasions. I have found that there is a big discrepancy over the resistance values of the temp senders, these senders work on a NTC principle, which means that as the water temperature increases the resistance decreases and this will effect the overall reading of the temperature gauge.

I had the same one in the car for a few years and that one used to read between the N & O of NORM the next one read a bit below that, The current one I have fitted now reads between R & M, this doesnt mean there is a problem with the cooling system it just means these senders have a very wide tolerance and all seem to read a little bit different.

For peace of mind I have very accurate additional temperature monitoring which covers all my engine parameters. The water temp in the cylinder head is around 85 degrees C in normal use, give or take a few degrees on thermostat operation. When sat at idle the fans will cut in at 96 degrees C and will trip in and out quite frequently if sat in traffic.

Personally I think it is wise to have another means of keeping an eye on water temp if you dont trust your standard temp gauge, bearing in mind an increase in water temperature will also affect your engine oil temperature!

CheeRS, Mike.
Old 30-12-2005, 11:24 AM
rabmc
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats great info there and explains alot about my car viper developments

My currently runs water to the turbo , which is fine BUT on driving on my seperate racetech water temp guage my car cruises at 80-85 degrees usually sits on 80 but obviously is different on different days , now when i stop car it rises up to around 95ish when my fans kick in

But i do find my header tank boils up a bit , but temp seem alright through guages Im putting this down to the return of the turbo T34 and was considering removing it to see if it made mucho difference , if not i will just re-connect

Old 31-12-2005, 04:57 PM
vyper developments
Regular Contributor

The returning water from the turbo will often boil the small amount of water in the header tank when the engine is switched off, this not a cause for concern.

Regards, Mike.