Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

4x4 crossmember & rack into 2wd

Old 20-10-2016, 09:17 PM
Robmatheson
Oxygen Thief

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 4x4 crossmember & rack into 2wd

Quick question. I have an alloy crossmember with a PAS rack from an E reg xr4x4 2.8 i broke for parts. I'm wondering will this bolt straight into my xr4i. It'd be nice to have power steering. Some say it's a straight swap job other say it's not.

Cheers

Last edited by Robmatheson; 20-10-2016 at 09:44 PM.
Old 21-10-2016, 12:44 AM
155lee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 117 Posts

I don't think fitting the crossmember is a good idea and I'm sure the rack will fit your 2wd xmember.
You will have to cut 10mm off each steering arm as they will bottom out in the track rod ends as 4x4's have longer arms due to having wider track.
The following users liked this post:
Robmatheson (22-10-2016)
Old 21-10-2016, 10:53 AM
Marc sierra
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 157 Likes on 143 Posts

I also don't think fitting the crossmember is a good idea. Together with the steering rack, TCAs, ARB, hubs and struts (basically the whole front suspension) it could work, but only doing it for having power steering is a bit pointless. The 4wd steering rack won't fit your 2wd, but 2wd steering racks are very easy to get.

The track rod ends of an XR4x4 are indeed longer than any other Sierra due to the wider front track. They are actually the same as a Granada mk3. The 4x4 Cosworth uses the same TRE as any 2wd Sierra.
Robmatheson (22-10-2016)
Old 21-10-2016, 11:45 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Robmatheson
Quick question. I have an alloy crossmember with a PAS rack from an E reg xr4x4 2.8 i broke for parts. I'm wondering will this bolt straight into my xr4i. It'd be nice to have power steering. Some say it's a straight swap job other say it's not.

Cheers
in theory the crossmember and rack that goes with it will bolt into place on your shell because the holes are in the same place

however

in actual reality you would spend more time attempting to overcome the other issues that would reslut, including, but not only, the following:

will the engine mounts still fit? the early 4i's had the 2 bolt mounts which may fit into the holes in the crossmember but the arms may have other ideas

you will need a new intermediate shaft for the steering, you will need the 4x4 one as the rack sits in a different place

and talking of different places, the front geometry will be different as you will be mixing 2wd and 4wd components

you will then be compromising not only things such as the tracking angles and camber and castor but also how the suspension works when dealing with long corners, bump steer, self centering etc

if you want power steering you will need the intermediate shaft from a power steering car, a power rack, the hoses

these can come from any 2wd sierra/granada

you will then need the pump and bracket, this will need to come from a 2.8

and it's a simple 2 bolt removal and replacement operation then, and much less hassle than swapping stuff over as you are planning to
Robmatheson (22-10-2016)
Old 22-10-2016, 08:32 AM
Robmatheson
Oxygen Thief

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the knowledgeable replies lads! Sounds like a bit of a kerfuffle. I'll look for a 2wd for PAS bits !

Search this Thread