Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

What clutch to replace paddle?

Search this Thread

Old 15-10-2015, 03:40 PM
Zetec_mk4_XR3i
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Default What clutch to replace paddle?

What clutch?

Folks,

At the moment, my Saff has a paddle clutch which I hate – very heavy and awkward to use and I’m not convinced it really needs it.

Can anyone recommend a decent clutch to cope with potential stage 3 power, that’s not heavy and ‘on or off’ like the one I have?

Must check the receipt to see what it is – think it’s a Helix 6 paddle?

Cheers

Rosco
Old 15-10-2015, 04:45 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

It is probably the cover that makes it heavy, are you on cable or on hydraulic?

My recommendation is to get a good hydraulic set up as nothing worse than under spec and having to replace again. The box is easy to take out though.

I would speak to reyland. Prob AP plate ans clutch cover might be best. You can buy the reyland hydraulic conversion or use E30 bmw parts I think.
Old 15-10-2015, 05:56 PM
turbotrev
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 89 Likes on 85 Posts

Helix pressure plates are are mega heavy.
Get an ap cover and the pedal will be loads lighter.
If you don't want a paddle anymore I'd just go for an uprated ap organic one

Cheers Paul
Old 15-10-2015, 06:33 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 393 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by Zetec_mk4_XR3i
What clutch?

Folks,

At the moment, my Saff has a paddle clutch which I hate – very heavy and awkward to use and I’m not convinced it really needs it.

Can anyone recommend a decent clutch to cope with potential stage 3 power, that’s not heavy and ‘on or off’ like the one I have?

Must check the receipt to see what it is – think it’s a Helix 6 paddle?

Cheers

Rosco
I have a helix 6 paddle clutch but also Reyland hydraulic conversion, it is light and has plenty of feel. Before I had the hydraulic clutch conversion it was just the same as what yours is like now. It handles 450 bhp with no problems.There is nothing wrong with the Helix 6 paddle clutch just the original cable operation.
Old 15-10-2015, 06:37 PM
saph in dorset
PassionFord Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm running the helix cover and paddle clutch using the cable and don't find it heavy at all.

Did you change the cable when you installed the clutch? Any slight catching on the cable can make the clutch really heavy and like a switch.
Old 15-10-2015, 07:50 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

Mine was heavy, switched to tilton centre push on helix and paddle and it is super light
Old 15-10-2015, 08:06 PM
Fezman1
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by saph in dorset
I'm running the helix cover and paddle clutch using the cable and don't find it heavy at all.

Did you change the cable when you installed the clutch? Any slight catching on the cable can make the clutch really heavy and like a switch.
Yeah - as your saying. Most times you find the clutch cable damaged/melted due to rubbing on the exhaust or the heatshield is shot and inturn so is the clutch cable.
Might be worth a look at?
Old 15-10-2015, 08:27 PM
turbotrev
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 89 Likes on 85 Posts

If you want a light pedal with the helix cover you really need a hydraulic conversion, I find with the cable you get a better 'feel' on the pedal.
Just my opinion.

Cheers Paul
Old 15-10-2015, 08:37 PM
Zetec_mk4_XR3i
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Cheers for all advice so far!

Was previous owner that fitted the clutch when car was running big power, so couldn't comment on cable etc but will have a nosey over weekend.

Had thought about hydraulic as well but it sounds like quite a big job?

Had a quick look through history and can't find it now but I'm positive it was a helix 6 paddle, have seen a few posts about changing cover plate which could be an option
Old 15-10-2015, 09:20 PM
saph in dorset
PassionFord Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would recommend fitting a new cable as they are cheap and an easy job to change so you could see if that makes it better/lighter. If you still don't like it being jumpy but has lightness it you could change the paddle plate for an organic plate which would make it smoother to drive and should easily handle stage 3 power.
Old 16-10-2015, 08:25 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 393 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by saph in dorset

I can only say that before I had the hydraulic clutch conversion I still had a 6 paddle clutch and it was awful. There was virtually only less than 20mm movement from it being disengaged to fully engaged. It was very heavy on the peddle and in stop/start traffic was a nightmare.
I took it to Power Engineering when they were still around for a rolling road set up a few years back and the guy had great difficulty trying to slowly ease it on the rollers and said how crap the clutch control was.
It is like night and day in my opinion how good the hydraulic clutch conversion is. I would recommend it to anyone.