Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Saphire V8 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 06:31 AM
yacob
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saphire V8 conversion

Firstly hello. Ive browsed this forum many times and found it full of great information.
I have decided to sign up and hopefully get a little help with my Saphire.
Im from NZ and we are lucky here that rules around modified cars, although strict, allow you do build just about anything and make it road legal.

Its a 1990 Saphire sedan, automatic with 2 liter N/A DOHC.
Plan is to remove the engine and box and fit a carburettored 289 Ford V8 with a toyota 5 speed box.

Im very familier with doing engine conversions in Japanese cars so this ford will be a little bit of a challenge for me as its built very very different to what im used too.

A couple of questions that are pusseling me at present.

The auto gearbox has a speedo cable coming out of the right hand side and what looks to be VSS speed sensor of some sort coming out of the left hand side.
What is the VSS used for ? ABS ??

My Saph has a electronic brake booster, can this run independent of the abs system ? in other words can it be wired up with a relay etc etc to work without any other modules ???

I guess im worried my ABS system and Electronic booster will not work after i fit the new engine.

Im reasonable good with electronics but not used to working with, or has i ever worked with a car that has an electronic booster.

If all else fails i can always remove the whole abs and booster to fit the older style vacum booster and non abs.

opinions please.
Will post pictures of my build in the new few dys.

Thanks
Old 11-10-2015, 09:10 AM
Mark V8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 166 Likes on 145 Posts

The speed sensor has nothing to do with the ABS system, all the signals for the ABS come from the wheels speed sensors.

There is a way of just using the ABS pressure pump without the ABS valve block - you may have to search the forum for a while to dig up an old post to find the details of how to do it.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:11 PM
yacob
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark V8
The speed sensor has nothing to do with the ABS system, all the signals for the ABS come from the wheels speed sensors.

There is a way of just using the ABS pressure pump without the ABS valve block - you may have to search the forum for a while to dig up an old post to find the details of how to do it.

Cheers. I didnt think the VSS in the gearbox would of been for the ABS but wasnt sure. Wonder what its used for.

Have done a fair bit of searching the net for info on the brake booster pump, but now im a member on here it may bring up more searches
Old 11-10-2015, 03:56 PM
Mark V8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 166 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by yacob
Cheers. I didnt think the VSS in the gearbox would of been for the ABS but wasnt sure. Wonder what its used for.

Have done a fair bit of searching the net for info on the brake booster pump, but now im a member on here it may bring up more searches
I think VSS is connected to the engine ECU, not sure though
Old 13-10-2015, 10:14 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

Why not just use the big servo from the dohc and ditch the ABS - its shit anyway. Thats what ive done on mine. Got focus rs brakes on the front of mine