Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Saff 2WD fogs fuse wiring conFUSEion!

Search this Thread

Old 26-08-2015, 10:12 PM
Sierrasideways
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 49 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Saff 2WD fogs fuse wiring conFUSEion!

Might be a stupid question but I have the 2 black/red wires going to only 1 side of the fuse in the fusebox and the other side of the fuse has nothing going to it.

The fuse has melted the plastic around the box and I can smell the bloody thing after a while driving.

Am I missing something here as I thought there should be something connected to the other side of the fuse???

Looking at the fusebox underneath and a lot of the fuses are done this way from factory. Sorry for the crappy pic.

Are they connected internally or something?? Or am I just missing something stupid

The rear heated windscreen fuse plastic has now melted too

Any help would be greatly appreciated cheers

Philip.
Old 27-08-2015, 11:47 AM
Sierrasideways

Anyone please?
Old 27-08-2015, 02:16 PM
daz-cos
Part of the Furniture

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure without looking but would assume there is an integral bus bar inside, can't help with the melting, poss a loose connection or wrong size fuse allowing to Much current to be drawn and wiring getting hot?

Cheers Daz
Old 27-08-2015, 03:11 PM
Sierrasideways

Originally Posted by daz-cos
Not sure without looking but would assume there is an integral bus bar inside, can't help with the melting, poss a loose connection or wrong size fuse allowing to Much current to be drawn and wiring getting hot?

Cheers Daz
Cheers mate. Correct size fuse was always used. Hopefully someone can tell why the wires are going to 1 side of the fuse underneath only. Seems strange
Old 27-08-2015, 04:03 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

there are loads of little bars running up and down inside the box that connect various bits with one another

it's fairly common for the boxes to become corroded and that means that the bars can come into contact with each other if there is water present thus causing all this mess

you CAN take the box out and clean it up etc, but the generally accepted idea is that you replace it for a "new" one as once it starts to play up, it's going to cause more and more grief over time
The following users liked this post:
Sierrasideways (27-08-2015)
Old 27-08-2015, 04:05 PM
dojj

the wires going one way only are for redundant curcits that aren't used as all sierra range had either a "low spec" loom and box or the "high spec" loom and box fitted depending on what you wanted to get further down the production line
Sierrasideways (27-08-2015)
Old 27-08-2015, 04:43 PM
Sierrasideways

Originally Posted by dojj
the wires going one way only are for redundant curcits that aren't used as all sierra range had either a "low spec" loom and box or the "high spec" loom and box fitted depending on what you wanted to get further down the production line
Thanks Dojj.

You say redundant circuits but this circuit is being used, i.e. The fog lights.

I know the fusebox is starting to play up but I'd say it's a meal and a half of a job to replace it.

What would you recommend to clean it? I mean would I have to disconnect all the wires underneath? Really don't wanna go down that road.....

Philip.
Old 27-08-2015, 05:21 PM
dojj

low spec cars had a basic loom, as in no electric windows or power mirrors etc, the high spec looms had all the wires in place to run these things plus air con and abs etc there was another loom altogether for the ghia cars with the door open stuff and lights, but in the 90 spec facelift when they fitted the factory alarm these pins were also used to trigger the alarm so there was much less of a necessity to have the redundancy built in to the loom rather than just the fusebox where the different systems were simply plugged in

as far as fixing the box, the normal way is to remove the dash and then unscrew the fusebox from underneath and then, once you'd stripped the entire loom, feed it through the hole int he panel where the box fits

looking at the picture you may be able to access the clips in order to remove the wires from the box itself without all that hassle, but some wires just won't budge

i wish you luck
Old 27-08-2015, 07:14 PM
Sierrasideways

Originally Posted by dojj
low spec cars had a basic loom, as in no electric windows or power mirrors etc, the high spec looms had all the wires in place to run these things plus air con and abs etc there was another loom altogether for the ghia cars with the door open stuff and lights, but in the 90 spec facelift when they fitted the factory alarm these pins were also used to trigger the alarm so there was much less of a necessity to have the redundancy built in to the loom rather than just the fusebox where the different systems were simply plugged in

as far as fixing the box, the normal way is to remove the dash and then unscrew the fusebox from underneath and then, once you'd stripped the entire loom, feed it through the hole int he panel where the box fits

looking at the picture you may be able to access the clips in order to remove the wires from the box itself without all that hassle, but some wires just won't budge

i wish you luck
I'll need it haha

I had more pics but deleted them.

Anyway yes I can pull the fusebox up out of its holder, feed it out under the scuttle panel and rest it on top of the the black panel at the back of the engine (can't remember the name of it) I can also see all the connections underneath so hopefully can just pop out the ones that are at fault and have a look at them. Maybe clean up and refit.

Ideally I wanted to remove the offending fuses and wires and just put a fuse holder in. I've done this for the one above the fogs, it's the interior blower for the heater and it's fine after doing it. The problem started when I went to do the other 2, fogs and rear heated screen I believe and there was only 1 wire going to 1 side of the fuse, in both cases That's where the confusion arose

Anyway I'll see what I can do.

Thanks Dojj, your help is much appreciated.

Philip.
dojj (28-08-2015)
Old 29-08-2015, 09:07 AM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

Possible reason why there are 2 wires on one side is it powers the dim dip circuit aswell. I have removed this fuse as im using cree led side light bulbs.

But i have no fogs now. Never used them anyway.

Paul
Old 29-08-2015, 09:32 AM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 102 Likes on 100 Posts

The fuse that melts usually is that of the fans, due to the energy consumption along with the time they stay on (as standard), but you should have rewired these?

Martin
Old 30-08-2015, 08:54 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Some early saffs have tweeters in the dash behind those grills as a option.
Just a tad smaller than 4"
Old 30-08-2015, 09:09 PM
Sierrasideways

Originally Posted by costina
Possible reason why there are 2 wires on one side is it powers the dim dip circuit aswell. I have removed this fuse as im using cree led side light bulbs.

But i have no fogs now. Never used them anyway.

Paul
Hi Paul,

I looked a little at it this week but working too so not much time spent. It's not the same as what you say [EDIT - just rechecked and you are correct, all I have is parks and no fogs] with fuse removed. Actually the rear heated screen and heated mirrors fuse which was melting also has been removed but I can cut the wires underneath as there is 2 so happy days, fuse holder going in next Tuesday when I'm off work again. I think the 2 wires going in are just each fog light output so I will Ohm out the wires going to the fog light relay (small brown one) and just cut out the wires and put in a fuse holder. That's if I can figure it cos there's a load of wires to be messing about with.

[EDIT - Found wiring diagrams just now so going to have a go at fixing next week.]

Originally Posted by martysmartie
The fuse that melts usually is that of the fans, due to the energy consumption along with the time they stay on (as standard), but you should have rewired these?

Martin

Hi Martin.

Done already. In the pic in my 1st post, the 2 big blue wires had already been cut so job done there. I didn't even look at this before because first port of call was fan and 044 rewire. Recently got a brand new fully braided loom with coil and 044 pump loom integrated into it, plus alternator rewire and starter rewire. Thought my rewiring days were gone after that but then the bloody fuses kicked off. Noticed I'm missing the grommet in each fog so water probably got in and fried it nice and toasty

Originally Posted by costina
Some early saffs have tweeters in the dash behind those grills as a option.
Just a tad smaller than 4"
??? Here I believe https://passionford.com/forum/ford-s...-speakers.html

Cheers lads. I'm going at it this week so will update with results (good ones hopefully )

Philip.

Last edited by Sierrasideways; 31-08-2015 at 04:22 AM.
Old 31-08-2015, 08:57 AM
dojj

Pre 90 spec cars had optional 6 speakers buy after that they just put in bigger glove boxes
Old 31-08-2015, 10:07 AM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Phillip. They are not parking lights. Its the dim dip which powers the H4 at a lower voltage when sides are on and ignition switched on.

Like volvos lol
Old 31-08-2015, 10:10 AM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Must admit these multiple posts that are coming up are a right pain😕

Your right that post should have gone there.........doh.