Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Anyone fitted a Piper BP270 cam to their 4i? Got a tappy 2.8 here....

Search this Thread

Old 16-06-2015, 12:34 PM
kitch29
Used to kit cars!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone fitted a Piper BP270 cam to their 4i? Got a tappy 2.8 here....

Hi guys, tried this on a couple of other forums but no joy found. Hoping someone can help?

Recently I partially stripped the 2.8 Cologne lump in my TVR S1 - heads off, cleaned & de-coked, all new gaskets etc, but left bottom end in one piece aside from changing camshaft for a Piper BP270 (they had to regrind my original as no blanks are available). I also fitted an alloy timing gear and matching crank gear, new lifters and Piper springs.

Since getting it back on the road, the engine seems very tappy. Unfortunately I can't confirm whether it was like this before the rebuild or not, as the exhaust manifolds were blowing quite badly and that's the noise I was overwhelmed with! Now they're sealed, and the engine is ratty as hell.

I do, however, have some TVRs in at work with the same engine fitted, and they're noticeably smoother and quieter. My FIL also has an XR4i, and again, much quieter. I've done the valve clearances twice (even overtightened them by 0.05 to test the theory) but no joy. The rocker pads aren't excessively worn (engine's only done 68k) and there's plenty of oil getting up to the top.

I sent a customer's engine off to Tickover a couple of weeks ago, and while on the phone I mentioned the issue I had with my own car. When I mentioned I'd fitted a BP270, he said the Pipers are known for this, which is why they use the Kent cams instead. Apparently the Pipers have big lift to duration ratio, which makes them noisy (could be getting that mixed up).

Does anyone else have a BP270 fitted? Is it tappy, or tappier than it was? If anyone's local to Hants/Dorset/W.Sussex I'd be very grateful to hear your engine if you feel it's smooth even with it fitted, as I can't live with it and I don't really want to have to remove it because, aside from the money wasted (it didn't gain any power anyway, though plenty of Cologne gurus did tell me I was wasting my time before I did it so I only have myself to blame), it's also an engine out job to change it as you can't remove the sump with the engine in situ on a TVR S series!

Any help gratefully received!