Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Excessive play at TCA bushes

Search this Thread

Old 25-05-2015, 11:14 PM
4x4kiwi
Regular Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Excessive play at TCA bushes

I recently replaced my Track control arms (4x4 sapphire Cosworth) as the ball joints were stuffed Because I had a lot of issues lately with the nolethane type bushes disintergrating and turning to dust - I decided to fit the standard rubber bushes that came with the TCA's from Graham Goode. I now have a lot of play where the sway bar goes through the outer bush. You can see and feel the strut moving back and forward under braking or if you go over a judder bump etc. So 2 questions. I see some nolethethane type bush sets come with the dished washers. Is it possible these have been changed to these in the past and that to use rubber bushes requires a different set of washers. secondly Can anyone recommend a brand/supplier (that will ship to New Zealand) of nolethane type bushes that they have had good life from. (have seen some black ones lately) My first set that were in the car when I bought it lasted 10 years or more but I have since fitted about 3 other sets (both blue and red if that means anything) that after about a year are falling apart. I find changing these bushes extremely difficult and don't want to have to do it any more than necessary. Thanks for any help or suggestions David
Old 27-05-2015, 09:57 AM
boostn_capri

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi '4x4 kiwi', mine has washers for the outer tca on a 2wd Sapphire, in regards to the supplier I used burton power uk, and got powerflex bushes for my front end , they are good quality, and I had them fitted by Manon Butler Auto, on north shore in Auckland as some had to be pressed in. Shipping is dear but worth splashing out on good bushes. There is a small write up in this months fastford uk magazine. Other suppliers to try would be carparts express, matt lewis motorsport or motorsport developments. Good luck.

Where abouts in Nz are you?
Old 27-05-2015, 11:53 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Powerflex
Fit and forget
Come with all the kit you need but just remember that they come in a few colours but yellow ones should be what you need rather than the black versions
They need grease before fitting and make sure the nuts aren't fully tight until the car is back on the ground to bounce them into place
Old 28-05-2015, 12:05 AM
4x4kiwi
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like powerflex it is then. Dojj - are the different colours a different composition for track / road etc and do I take it they come with new dished washers as well. Also still be curious if anyone has an answer as to why the rubber bushes are causing the problem - i.e. are they supposed to have different washers or another spacer etc. Boostn Capri - I am in Titirangi Auckland. Thanks again David
Old 28-05-2015, 06:52 AM
Marc sierra
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 157 Likes on 143 Posts

The different colours of oly bushes normally refer to the different shore of the polyurethane, with black being the highest shore (stiffest bush). The yellows are the ones most people fit for the TCA to ARB location.

The standard rubber bushes are terrible, they wear within a very short time and cause very bad judder under braking. Normally the standard bushes are mounted with 2 big washers, the back one is flat and the front one is dished. Some people say that the standard bushes work fine as long as you use the flat washers on both sides of the rubber bush. I haven't tried this myself, so I can't comment on how it compares to poly bushes.
Old 29-05-2015, 12:16 PM
4x4kiwi
Regular Contributor

Thanks again for the replies. I am ordering the bushes from Matt Lewis and although the outer's where the roll bar goes in are yellow, the inners appear to be a dark blue. Was also wondering on your opinion on replacing the roll bar mounting bushes (in the floor brackets). These ones appear to be lighter blue. I will have to see what is already in the car as they may already be poly bushed as I only replaced the TCA's. Still believe there must be something else wrong with the rubber setup as I can't believe anyone would have been happy with that from the factory. Cheers David.
Old 29-05-2015, 12:46 PM
mk22door
Fart of the Purniture

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Make sure you get new nuts, they're not always re-useable (because of the nylon insert)

Just saying as you have said that you have had them on and off a few times - they can come undone which will result in the strut & steering knuckle (basically everything, the whole lot) moving under braking - I'm speaking from experience ...and you describe the same thing in your first post.

The dished washer should face outwards on both sides

Name:  IMG_4519.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  44.9 KB
(not my picture)

Powerflex bushes are yellow & purple - they will be the right ones (and the best) if I remember correctly they also have the pf number stamped on them?

The 'other' poly bush manufacturers are just shite, simple.
Old 30-05-2015, 05:35 PM
Cossy Mike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 60 Likes on 57 Posts

I put these on as I didn't fancy rose joints, fitted with Powerflex bushes at both ends

Realy pleased with them
Old 09-07-2015, 01:48 PM
4x4kiwi
Regular Contributor

Complete set of Powerflex bushes fitted today (inner, outer and roll bar to floor). Had a bit of a problem with the inners. It appeared the aftermarket TCA's supplied by Graham Goode were a bit too wide across the inner end so although the bushes pressed together out of the arm would fit nicely between the crossmember flanges (or whatever they are called) once fitted to the arm there was no way they were going to go in. (the bushes were not meeting in the middle) Had to grind a bit off each side of the inner end of the TCA until they could fit between the crossmember. Feels much better again now with none of the forward /aft movement of the strut. Time will tell if they last better than the other sets I have fitted. Thanks again for the replies above. David
Old 10-07-2015, 12:58 AM
dojj

Did you trial fit the inner bush sleeve before fitting it properly?
Every one makes that mistake
Glad you fitted them without too many problems, they should last three lifetime of the car
Old 10-07-2015, 01:17 PM
4x4kiwi
Regular Contributor

Hey Dojj. Not quite sure what you are asking. The sleeve was exactly the length of the two bushes pushed together and the right length to fit between the crossmember flanges but when installed in the TCA sleeve was not flush with the outside of the bushes as they were not meeting in the middle. When you say " Every one makes that mistake" is there something I should have done that would have got them to fit without grinding down the TCA's. Hopefully only need to know for curiousity now as hope to not have to do the job again. Thanks again David.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:01 PM
dojj

What I meant was that the metal sleeve sometimes doesn't fit in the slot as previous fittings may have squashed the crossmember
So you should test fit that sleeve before anything else
Once you know that fits then it's grease the sleeve/bush before slitting them back into place
Outer bush on first then lever the TCA into place
The bolt goes front to back so that if the nut comes off the bolt won't fall out, but it's easier to put it in from the back as there more space
Old 10-07-2015, 10:04 PM
dojj

Also, don't tighten the nuts up all the way as this can sometimes bind the bush into its full suspension droop position

But you shouldn't have to do it again for a while now