Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Do you have to remove the gearbox for hydraulic clutch conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 08:09 PM
smithy rs2k
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you have to remove the gearbox for hydraulic clutch conversion

Took my sapphire cosworth off the road for winter looking at doing a hydraulic clutch conversion myself but do you have to remove the gearbox off it? I'm doing it on my driveway so il give it a miss if you do
Old 11-12-2014, 08:37 PM
Moonstone Steve.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes you need to have a lug welded to the bellhousing to mount the slave cylinder

Steve
Old 11-12-2014, 08:40 PM
smithy rs2k
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forgot to say it's a 4x4,thought it was just just 2wd that need bell housing modding
Old 12-12-2014, 02:52 PM
Tinshaw
PassionFord Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes mate, easy once the box is out!!!!!!!!
Old 15-12-2014, 06:37 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

You would need the box out to get acces to mount the slave. Whilst you are in there you can change or uprated the clutch and possibly the flywheel.

MT Motorsport do a full bolt kitNero the 4x4 gearbox in bright steel which makes it easier to put back together and pretty if you paint the box whilst out and change the gearbox fluid.
Old 22-12-2014, 02:23 PM
Jack and the Beanstalk
Regular Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Im also looking to do a hyrdaulic clutch conversion but on a 2wd. Surely you can mount the slave cylinder to say a bracket & bolt just behind the bellhousing to push onto the fork?

I was even thinking of getting a slave that works backwards and mount the slave in the engine bay and insert the pushrod of the slave throught the hole where the clutch cable usually goes through. So now instead of the slave pushing, it would be pulling the fork?
Old 22-12-2014, 03:44 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Jack and the Beanstalk
Im also looking to do a hyrdaulic clutch conversion but on a 2wd. Surely you can mount the slave cylinder to say a bracket & bolt just behind the bellhousing to push onto the fork?

I was even thinking of getting a slave that works backwards and mount the slave in the engine bay and insert the pushrod of the slave throught the hole where the clutch cable usually goes through. So now instead of the slave pushing, it would be pulling the fork?

In theory if you have access then you might be able to do it. In my 4x4 kit there is a weld on "lug", I am waiting on the instructions but I think it is something for the slave piston to push against. I think the slave needs to go through the gearbox housing and not sit on the side so much...there is not much room in the tunnel. I bought my workshop / garage ramps as soon as the gearbox went as I had to remove the box and fit the Supra diff....I didnt fancy laying under the car whilst up on axle stands with this heavy lumps being removed...It is sooo nice using an impact gun to remove the wheels and brakes whilst up in the air even though it was extravagant for a hobby.
Old 22-12-2014, 05:21 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

I have now got the reyland instructions and the weld on lug does go on to the clutch fork to help the slave locate, you also need to drill 3 holes in the casing to allow 2 bolts and then the slave to pass through.
Old 27-12-2014, 08:57 PM
The Crocodile Hunter
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack and the Beanstalk

Wilwood offer a 'pull' slave cylinder that will do the job. They cost around Ł75.

It will never look at neat a job as using an bmw e30 unit though, if that bothers you?
Old 27-12-2014, 09:05 PM
graham c
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you can do it with the box in but its not much more work to remove it. since you need to remove nearly every think off the box to spin it in the car !