Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

changing engine shaft oil seals

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 01:06 PM
4x4kiwi
Regular Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default changing engine shaft oil seals

Anyone help with suggestions on technique for changing front and rear crankshaft and aux shaft seals. Bought new viton seals for the front two from MSD and borrowed a multi thousand dollar tool set designed for changing seals of a multitude of sizes only to find 1: none of the tools is big enough for the rear crankshaft seal and 2: nothing long enough to reach over the front of the crank where the toothed belt and triple belt pilleys go. These tools are designed to pull the seal in squarely. Is this the trick - get them started square and then find an appropriately sized ring to push them home. Should you be able to push them by hand or do they need tapping with something. Also for the Aux shaft seal should you need to remove the cover and put it in that way. Any advise greatly recieved as I think I cocked my first attempt up and need to order another seal now. Also are the viton seals perhaps a bit more forgiving to a botched attempt where it did not go in straight. I heard with normal seals not to try using it again as the lip would be damaged and it would leak but this one still looks fine but not sure if I am game to risk it. Thanks David
Old 01-12-2014, 01:21 PM
James @ M Developments.
BANNED

BANNED

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I generally find them quite easy to fit by lubing the seal with oil and use the old seal to push and tap the new one in using a small toffee hammer.