Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Braided Wiring Harness Inquisition

Search this Thread

Old 30-11-2014, 03:00 PM
Jack and the Beanstalk
Regular Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Braided Wiring Harness Inquisition

Hello Posters

I need some info and advice with regards to braidiing wiring looms/harness.

Is there a site or maybe a thread on this forum or another I can read about on best way to braid wiring.

Basically I want to achieve neatness, identity, flexibility and good protection against engine bay elements (heat, weather, water, grime)
It also achieves making the wiring look like it can from factory.

Where I stay in South Africa, we don't exactly have places that can offer these services, so its going to have to be a DIY job. I have no pain with this as I enjoy tinkiring with wiring to get it looking good.

Getting materials, parts and tools is no issue as we have a few electronic stores we can buy from.

I just dont know where to start, as I prefer some sort of guidline. IE
What sort of prep work should I start with?
Should I braid each circuit individually?
What braid line to use?
How far do I terminate from the connector?
What best way to ID tag the terminals / connecting points.
What sort of shrink sleeving should i use.
Whats the best tools to keep to make up these harnesses.

I'm tired of using electrical tape as the adhesiveness irratates me when you wanna start modifying and repairing harnesses. I actually prefer zip ties or as we call it cable ties than tape.

Comments and advice are welcome

Cheers
Brayn
Old 01-12-2014, 06:49 PM
jamie956
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Assume its a cosworth loom you are doing, ether way you are going to have to take the plugs off to get a tight fitting braid over.

Will be a good opportunity to replace the plugs and make good any poor connections, plug sets available on ebay Uk.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Engine-Loo...ht_2246wt_1037

Obviously start at the thickest section of the loom and work forward.

Use glue lined heat shrink as the braid can pull out of normal heat shrink when you pull it tight.

Get a little gas torch or gas soldering iron with a blow torch fitting, use this to melt the end of the cover braid together, if you don't it will fray when you try to get it on.

If you don't or cant remove the plugs to get normal braiding over you can get a split braided cover open it up and put the cable in, not sure how you would secure it in place.
http://www.canford.co.uk/TECHFLEX-BR...IT-SPRING-WRAP

Other option is heat shrink tape.
http://www.canford.co.uk/HEAT-SHRINK-TAPE

Hope this helps

Jamie
Old 01-12-2014, 07:11 PM
Jack and the Beanstalk
Regular Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you Jamie. Some interesting products you have shown. Also thanks for the advice.

Should connectors be put on afterwards once the length of the loom been mocked up, braided and then fitted. Remember its not easy to fit big connectors through the rubber grommets seated in the firewall. I dont like cutting grommets to forcefully fit looms as then you dont get good seal around. Also on that note what is best way to seal off looms once its gone through those grommets? I find if the looms are thin and the hole of the grommets are big then you gnna have possible leaks coming through or am i being to critical?

Cheers