Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Tyres for Standard Rims

Old 24-07-2014, 06:40 AM
Guinnless
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Tyres for Standard Rims

I'm running Toyo Proxes T1R all round with the rears being the most recent addition. Unfortunately putting them on the rear has resulted in stability issues; it's like driving on Diesel but it doesn't actually lose grip. Very unnerving!
The fronts feel fine though. Bizarre!

I had my other half follow me and she said it looked like the tyres were made of sponge as she could see them "springing about". As if the tyre pressure was low.

Previous tyres were Goodyear Eagle F1s which were very stable although didn't have the grip of the T1Rs.

I like my standard rims but I reall need a good set of grippy and stable tyres that haven't got soft walls like the T1Rs.

Suggestions welcome

TIA
Old 24-07-2014, 12:19 PM
opposite lock
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought some Hankooks , exactly the same thing seemed to be happening very flexiable sidewalls ruined the drive.
The dunlops before felt good and grippy considering their age /use hence why I changed them wish i never did.
Old 24-07-2014, 06:16 PM
Mike1
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Guinnless
I'm running Toyo Proxes T1R all round with the rears being the most recent addition. Unfortunately putting them on the rear has resulted in stability issues; it's like driving on Diesel but it doesn't actually lose grip. Very unnerving!
The fronts feel fine though. Bizarre!

I had my other half follow me and she said it looked like the tyres were made of sponge as she could see them "springing about". As if the tyre pressure was low.

Previous tyres were Goodyear Eagle F1s which were very stable although didn't have the grip of the T1Rs.

I like my standard rims but I reall need a good set of grippy and stable tyres that haven't got soft walls like the T1Rs.

Suggestions welcome

TIA
This seems to be a common thing with the T1R if you google it.

I had a set once but ended up taking them off and selling them as I never got on with them.

Currently use their R1R which seem fine but not supposed to use them below 0 deg C so may not suit your usage
Old 24-07-2014, 06:48 PM
iansoutham
OCD Victim

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Are they extra load?

I had this problem with the Toyos originally and then swapped them for the Extra Load variety and they have been fine since on standard pressures.
Old 24-07-2014, 08:44 PM
Guinnless

Thanks for the replies.

No they are not the Extra Load variety - it's doesn't mention anything on the sidewall any so I'm guessing not.

Update:

I've complained to Toyo who asked me to swap the tyre front to rear. The problem has now moved to the front!

My eagle eye mate spotted that my new T1Rs were made in Malaysia while my old ones were made in Japan. There are also different gaps between the tread blocks - some as much as 3mm. The blocks move more easily too.
In short they look similar but are not the same as my old ones so I'll be back onto Toyo in the morning with my findings.

I'm at EARS Motorsport for four Yokohama AS01s, that I've been assured have much stiffer carcasses, on Saturday morning.

I'll do an update then and hopefully it will be a good one!
Old 25-07-2014, 12:07 PM
nicksaph
PassionFord Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have been using Michelin exalto PE2 and fine them very good. i have since bought bridgestone potenza RE002 but haven't really used them yet but first impressions are good

cheers NICK.
Old 28-07-2014, 11:07 AM
Guinnless

Thumbs up

OK after a chat at EARS Motorsport it was decided to have Yokohama AD08s fitted instead.

The journey home was a revelation compared to the T1Rs - accurate steering and improved grip levels. Only done about 100 miles or so but gone is that unnerving, wandering feeling.

No sloppy sidewalls on the Yoko's and the ride quality is not much worse either.