Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Faulty temperature sensor on 2wd Sapphire

Search this Thread

Old 20-05-2014, 02:01 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 393 Likes on 358 Posts
Question Faulty temperature sensor on 2wd Sapphire

Hi all, I have just had a cooler temperature setting thermostat fitted to my 2wd Sapphire Cosworth. I am not sure if I have got a faulty temp sensor or faulty temp gauge as now the temp gauge sits on the O of the normal temp range all the time, which makes me think it is overheating. However when I open the bonnet the engine seems fairly cool so I am not sure what is going on. The temp sensor is nearly new but before it was fitted the gauge read much lower. Has anyone heard of a new temp sensor being faulty or had a similar problem?
Your feedback will be welcome.
Cheers Richard from Southampton.
Old 20-05-2014, 02:45 PM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by cossynut2
Hi all, I have just had a cooler temperature setting thermostat fitted to my 2wd Sapphire Cosworth. I am not sure if I have got a faulty temp sensor or faulty temp gauge as now the temp gauge sits on the O of the normal temp range all the time, which makes me think it is overheating. However when I open the bonnet the engine seems fairly cool so I am not sure what is going on. The temp sensor is nearly new but before it was fitted the gauge read much lower. Has anyone heard of a new temp sensor being faulty or had a similar problem?
Your feedback will be welcome.
Cheers Richard from Southampton.
They have different colour inserts, you need one that was the same colour as the one you took out

Steve
Old 20-05-2014, 04:29 PM
cossie moon
Durham RSOC member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should be black
Old 20-05-2014, 04:29 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Question

Originally Posted by cossie4i+
They have different colour inserts, you need one that was the same colour as the one you took out

Steve
Trouble is I didnt take much notice of the old one which had been in the engine for 15 years . I have just got a new one to try from matt lewis and it is blue. Is that right for a 2wd Sapphire?
Old 20-05-2014, 04:52 PM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by cossynut2
Trouble is I didnt take much notice of the old one which had been in the engine for 15 years . I have just got a new one to try from matt lewis and it is blue. Is that right for a 2wd Sapphire?
No idea if its the correct colour, you should of paid more attention when you took the old one out lol

I know that don't help

Steve
Old 21-05-2014, 03:16 AM
boostn_capri

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Richard,
Just a suggestion are you sure its not the thermostat? I had a brand new 82deg thermostat that was faulty, I suggest pulling it off dropping in a jug of boiling water to make sure its working fine, and if you can get your hands on a thermometer check that its opening at correct temp.Also make sure its sitting around the correct way.

The temp sender and gauge any sparkie should be able to test for you quickly to rule them out.

Hope this helps!
Old 21-05-2014, 06:49 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by boostn_capri
Hi Richard,
Just a suggestion are you sure its not the thermostat? I had a brand new 82deg thermostat that was faulty, I suggest pulling it off dropping in a jug of boiling water to make sure its working fine, and if you can get your hands on a thermometer check that its opening at correct temp.Also make sure its sitting around the correct way.

The temp sender and gauge any sparkie should be able to test for you quickly to rule them out.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for your suggestions, the thermostat is working ok as the engine seemed pretty cool after a run out the other day when it was warm and sunny, its not overheating it just seems like it is by how far up the scale on the temperature gauge it is. With the old temperature sensor which had been in the engine for 15 years ( which got thrown away ) the gauge very rarely went higher than half way up the scale. I renewed all the sensors recently and assumed as they were for a 2wd Sapphire they were the right ones. It is a mystery what is causing it.
Old 21-05-2014, 06:35 PM
opposite lock
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check the wiring and connector as commonly goes a bit shitty there.
Old 21-05-2014, 06:52 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Talking

Originally Posted by opposite lock
Check the wiring and connector as commonly goes a bit shitty there.
Thanks for your replies, I am going to fit a new temperature gauge sensor as I forgot to change it when all the other new sensors were put in. It is the same one that has been on the car for at least 18 years. Hopefully that will get the temperature gauge reading properly again!