Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Nitrous on a Cossie, speak to me.

Search this Thread

Old 24-02-2014, 05:38 PM
lee2cossies
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Nitrous on a Cossie, speak to me.

I want to fit nitrous to my Cossie just for a bit more power for 1/4 mile or possibly a top speed run. Iv bought a kit but don't know much about it really! I think it's a wizard of nos direct port kit. I want to fit it properly so that it will be safe so just need to know what bits I need to add to it and any fitting advice for the jets etc.
Here's the kit iv got:
Name:  30FD99E1-9493-4CBA-9CDD-9E4DECC47C2B.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  129.2 KB
Old 24-02-2014, 05:52 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 223 Likes on 193 Posts

Do not fit it unless your engine can handle the extra power.

Mark
Old 24-02-2014, 06:09 PM
lee2cossies
PassionFord Post Troll

I think my engine should be ok, it's a new build, cosworth pistons , in ground crank, waples head, one of your manifolds going on with sx200. Do u think nos will be too much on top for the odd blast?
Old 24-02-2014, 06:12 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Up to a 200bhp shot can be used with direct port. Forget what Wizard say about set-up (They dont want you to blow up so they set it mega rich & you dont get its full benefits) you need to get it mapped on the gas. I have used a 'Nitrogen push' system to maintain bottle pressure it means jet horsepower all the way down a Topspeed run. Without that you will get circa 90% jet horsepower & it will decrease as bottle pressure dies so not ideal for Topspeed running.

Last edited by Rod-Tarry; 24-02-2014 at 06:16 PM.
Old 24-02-2014, 08:13 PM
lee2cossies
PassionFord Post Troll

Thanks for that rod I'm going to find out as much as possible about it before I fit and use it. Have u got any pics of your install when u first did the 200mph run? I did have a look years ago but just want an idea of where to mount the jets etc.
Old 24-02-2014, 08:53 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Originally Posted by lee2cossies
Thanks for that rod I'm going to find out as much as possible about it before I fit and use it. Have u got any pics of your install when u first did the 200mph run? I did have a look years ago but just want an idea of where to mount the jets etc.
I will look to see if i have any pictures. If you are using 50 shot or less then you wont need a Controller. Beyond that a controller may be required to stop the big hit that will kill the engine.
My jets were under the manifold pointing into the ports. On that 1st 200mph we were using a 75bhp jet without 'push' so less by the time we reached the bottom. We did have a controller that phased in the Nitrous over a 1.5 second period to soften the hit.
Old 24-02-2014, 10:28 PM
lee2cossies
PassionFord Post Troll

Ok cheers rod some good info there. I'm going to try a 100hp shot or there abouts, only use it for 1/4 mile blasts or maybe a top speed run. I did buy a book about nitrous to try understand how to do it properly but it was an American book based on bullet proof v8's , not a old pinto!
Old 25-02-2014, 06:23 AM
VEEDUBBED
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi matey, I can offer you a few tips on the actual fitting of the WON nitrous kit as i've fitted their excellent kit i bought used off eBay years ago for my non cosworth turbo 16v engine.
Be extra carefull when handling the nylon feed pipes as they can kink easy and when cutting them to the correct length don't use tools such as pliers, snipers ect as they bugger the ends of the pipe, I used a very sharp Victorinox pen knife.
Olives are 1 use only so make sure you've correctly cut the pipes first then tighten the nuts to crush the olive. Try and use the 5mm newer fuel feed pipe available off the won site and get a spare pack of 4 and 5mm olives too.
If possible try and fit a backlit nitrous press. gauge inside the car, pref. on the dash if there is room, fat lot of good a gauge is when it's fitted on the nitrous bottle hidden in the boot..
When tightening the 4 or 5mm nuts always run a 2.5 or 3mm drill tip inside the nylon pipe as sometimes the olives tend to close up the pipe whilst tightening.
A bottle heater would be ideal to keep the nitrous up to pressure. If your running the original Garrett T3 with a .48A/R turbine housing that will definatly choke up, much better would be a .63 but you'll probably experience some turbo lag, bit of a compromise really.
ALWAYS read your engine's sparkplugs whilst tuning the mill for the first time, you can bugger all 4 pistons in a flash if it runs lean, a wideband is a must.
Try and keep the pipes that feed the won sprayer jets as equal as possible in length and remember to aim the small dots punched on the chromed bodies fowards, check also the height when fitting into the inlet runners. If your still using the original Weber ecu you could also use the ignition octane retard plug to back off a few degrees timing whilst on the gas, if needed.
There's probably more but that's more or the less the long and sort of it, for my experience anyway.
When you've finished plumbing in the system always open the nitrous to blast out any swarf or tiny bits of plastic that may be in the lines and check for leaks, have a look at the nitrous solonoid's small filter and change if ness.
If you get stuck you could always give somebody like Tony Mannock of Turbosystems a bell, he advised me and has a huge amout of experience with cosworth engines and nitrous, as do many others o Passionford such as Chip etc.
Good luck!!
Old 25-02-2014, 09:46 AM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Ok cheers rod some good info there. I'm going to try a 100hp shot or there abouts, only use it for 1/4 mile blasts or maybe a top speed run. I did buy a book about nitrous to try understand how to do it properly but it was an American book based on bullet proof v8's , not a old pinto!
If you have a Wizard system only one person to speak with & thats Trevor Langfield the man himself. Ive known him for many years & his book below features my own cars install. The book will tell you everything you need to know & its still available on e-bay.
If you ring his company ask for Ant he heads it up these days. Why not register on Trevs Forum he will personally answer any questions.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THE-NITROU...9#ht_38wt_1190

Name:  BOOK52_zps214736ec.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  87.8 KB
Old 25-02-2014, 01:40 PM
lee2cossies
PassionFord Post Troll

Thanks guys great info there iv saved that and will print it out and read it through.
Rod, nice one iv just put a bid in for that book just what I'm after!
Old 25-02-2014, 07:38 PM
richard youll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've a won system on my saph with his modified pulsoids , with a 350 nitrous jet and the relative fuel jet to get correct afr ratio by using a wideband , I used to have it as a single hit and it was awesome , but I've since fitted a controller , incidentally this was also on single fogger , the car was 426 bhp without gas , did 11.3 1/4s 1.6 60fts and lit the tyres 1st 2nd and 3rd at pod all in 2wd format! Awesome kit
Old 25-02-2014, 08:07 PM
lee2cossies
PassionFord Post Troll

That sounds awesome! I'd be happy if I could get any where near them times. This is a direct port kit but if it here's no benefit I'd just use single fogger. I'm hoping to have around 530-550hp off gas and over 600hp with gas just a bit extra for quarter mile. As soon as I figure out all I need to fit it safely as I don't want to melt an engine iv just spent Ł5k on!
Richard, do u have any rear suspension mods to get them times? I'm sure I seen your car at the pod a few years back, moonstone 2wd with comps and a t4?
Old 25-02-2014, 09:32 PM
richard youll

Mercury grey but wasn't a t4 it was a t04e hybrid but yea b16 rjy plate, tbh mate I'd get in touch with won and use there stuff it's brill , rear suspension was std back then I'm currently upping my spec to adjustable Mk beam and supra diff
Old 27-02-2014, 02:34 PM
lee2cossies
PassionFord Post Troll

Cool I'm sure iv seen it. Yeah iv just bought the above book I'm going to have a read through then buy the bits I need.
That's impressive time for standard rear end! I'm running a supra diff too.
Old 27-02-2014, 02:39 PM
Paul_RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Make sure you don't blow the welds on your intake.
Old 27-02-2014, 02:58 PM
Ash170990
Focus RS 0268

Originally Posted by Paul_RS
Old 27-02-2014, 03:53 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_RS
Why would it blow the intake welds? Surely the intake only sees normal boost pressure, the nos simply makes the mixture more dense......or am I being dense?

I think nos would be best used in small doses to bring the car on boost and then let the turbo do its bit....isn't this what Rod used it for as opposed to top end stuff...I.e. fill in the gaps? This way you can run bigger turbo for more boost and just cover the gap until the engine comes on cam and on full boost. David Vizard used to do thismonmthe a series back in the day.
Old 27-02-2014, 04:28 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

For the 100bhp you are talking about, I think you will have no problem at all on even a modest spec YB as they are so strong from the factory, but it depends how far you are pushin things in the first place with what turbo you are on etc?

My T34 car with 100-125bhp jets was EPIC frankly, went better than a T4 car but spooled quicker than a T28 one as the nitrous spools the turbo so well.

Only downside is the cost of the gas if you use it a lot.

As Rod says the mixtures that you will get advised on by WON are generally a touch conservative, but that said they will still work VERY well and will be on the safe side which is no bad thing.
Old 27-02-2014, 04:30 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Caddyshack
Why would it blow the intake welds? Surely the intake only sees normal boost pressure, the nos simply makes the mixture more dense......or am I being dense?
It was a fast and furious joke.

I think nos would be best used in small doses to bring the car on boost and then let the turbo do its bit....
It does work well for that, but it also works well once you are on boost, so I just left it on

isn't this what Rod used it for as opposed to top end stuff...I.e. fill in the gaps? This way you can run bigger turbo for more boost and just cover the gap until the engine comes on cam and on full boost. David Vizard used to do thismonmthe a series back in the day.
No Rod was using it fully as a power adder, in fact on the wet run they did on 5th gear they didnt even activate it until they changed up at 170mph in order to limit wheel spin.
Thats when he went over to the nitrogen setup as before then he had been suffering a lot with bottle pressure drop, which you get when you use a big hit of gas for a long time and the bottle temp doesnt have time to recover.
(Id actually told him this long before, but he only believed me after that famous 5th gear run, lol)
Old 27-02-2014, 04:41 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip
It was a fast and furious joke.

It does work well for that, but it also works well once you are on boost, so I just left it on

No Rod was using it fully as a power adder, in fact on the wet run they did on 5th gear they didnt even activate it until they changed up at 170mph in order to limit wheel spin.
Thats when he went over to the nitrogen setup as before then he had been suffering a lot with bottle pressure drop, which you get when you use a big hit of gas for a long time and the bottle temp doesnt have time to recover.
(Id actually told him this long before, but he only believed me after that famous 5th gear run, lol)
Thanks for answering that, I don't know a lot about nos
Old 27-02-2014, 05:01 PM
lee2cossies
PassionFord Post Troll

Chip, thanks for that info, I'm a bit wet behind the ears with it all so need as much info as possible!
My engine has a good spec, new non Turkish block, cosworth pistons, low comp, nick waples head, all machine work by scs, one of marks tubular twin scroll manifolds and Borg Warner sx200. I'm hoping it can take a shot gas, hopefully 500+hp off gas and closer to 600 with gas just for 1/4 mile and possibly a top speed run.
Old 28-02-2014, 11:28 AM
Chip

Should go well
Old 28-02-2014, 12:14 PM
lee2cossies
PassionFord Post Troll

Hopefully it should.
Old 28-02-2014, 04:57 PM
charlie luciano
10K+ Poster!!

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Never been a fan of laughing gas its cheating and if it goes wrong bye bye engine

Luciano
Old 28-02-2014, 06:47 PM
lee2cossies
PassionFord Post Troll

If fitted correctly it doesn't go wrong can be safe. That's why I'm doing plenty of research to make sure it fitted correctly and safely.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:26 PM
matthewpickup
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

I like the idea of NOS but just like most people its the unknowing that puts me off
Old 02-03-2014, 11:14 PM
lee2cossies
PassionFord Post Troll

Same here that's why I'm trying to find out as much as possible before I fit it. Me and a mate have a xr4i with a 24v cosworth engine with a single jet nitrous oxide systems set up and it gives an extra 50 hp, made a big difference so fancy trying it on my cosworth but obviously needs to be safer as iv spent Ł6k on my yb where as the boa cost a few hundred if that blows up!
Old 03-03-2014, 10:26 AM
Chip

If fitted correctly it doesn't go wrong can be safe. That's why I'm doing plenty of research to make sure it fitted correctly and safely.
Agreed, IF properly managed its not anymore likely to kill an engine than other power adders like boost are, in fact due to the cooling side effect, arguably its safer adding another 100bhp with nitrous than it is adding another 100bhp with more boost.

But the ongoing cost of using the nitrous makes me personally a fan of other tuning methods first and then nitrous as just a top up, as you wouldnt want to rely on it for a full track session of 20 mins etc!

In track cars I would just treat it as a "push to pass" button where if I really get stuck behind someone who is slower over a lap than me but is quicker on the straights (happens a lot in clios, good lap times from the cornering but bad straightline pace) ignorant about moving over to let me pass then I can use it to get by and then carry on without it again.

Last edited by Chip; 03-03-2014 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:45 PM
lee2cossies
PassionFord Post Troll

All I want is a bit more power on the 1/4 mile or possibly a top speed run, that will do me as I can see where your coming from its expensive!