Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

help please

Search this Thread

Old 17-03-2012, 03:18 PM
neale rs
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help please

hi guys i have recently bought saph cossie now the other morning when i came to start it she sounded lumpy on tick over revs were going up and down contastly once warmed up it settled now when driving it and leaving on tick over its sounding as tho its getting lack of fuel but my fuel pressure regualator is running 44 psi is this right .....when you drive it goes then starts dieing as if its ran out of fuel put take off gas deal and it idles fine ....really need help
Old 17-03-2012, 03:38 PM
kosienutter
Last Time, Get Off PF FFS

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Firstly stop boosting up before you blow the engine up and cause detination.

The rev issue when cold could be your ISCV (idle speed control valve) which is on top of the throttle. disconnect its wire connector and take it off undoing the two nuts or hex bolts which ever it has. once off the throttle housing and if you want, take the tiny nut off it and give it a good clean out with carb cleaner Not wd40 or just clean it with the little nut still on. Your choice??? Remember which bits goes were.

As for it dying check the voltage at your fuel pump first i'd say. If itsbelow 11volts IMO its time for a rewire. Plenty of options for it from the likes of Matt Lewis or MSD have the rewire kits or DIY.

Last edited by kosienutter; 17-03-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 17-03-2012, 04:20 PM
oldford
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

44 psi (3 bar) is about the right pressure when the engine idles.
Maybe a blocked fuel filter? You could check the fuel flow.

Revs going up and down on idle is often caused by a lean mixture.
Could also be a sensor failure.