Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

windows not working

Search this Thread

Old 28-02-2012, 12:58 PM
SAM_RSCAB
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default windows not working

hi all i have a sapphire on a 1992 k plate

its the glsi

has front electric windows but they dont work

i have:
put new battery on car
checked alternator for charging
checked power to window switches and thats fine

when the drivers window switch is pressed i can hear a single click noise from in the door but the window does not budge it the same on the passenger side

any ideas????
Old 29-02-2012, 02:13 AM
4x4kiwi
Regular Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

In answe to your previous post - yes you can put window switches with 4 switches in. I have disassembled and cleaned the contacts on my window switches heaps of times on my old XR4i. I think the windows get tired or sticky and draw more current and the contacts on the switches burn (arc) until they don't make contact any more. I pull the switch apart and clean the contacts with a fibreglass brush. Put it back together and it works for another 6 months or so. Keep meaning to wire in some relays but it would probably be better to fix whatever is causing the windows to draw too much current, David
Old 29-02-2012, 08:54 AM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 102 Likes on 100 Posts

It's either your windows aren't getting the correct power (due to bad switches as said) or the windows may be seized.

I would first verify the power that is leaving the switch, you could bridge the connections (Once you know the correct ones) and then if the windows work then the switches are at fault. They can be dismantled and cleaned, again as said.

Martin
Old 29-02-2012, 06:30 PM
SAM_RSCAB

Originally Posted by martysmartie
It's either your windows aren't getting the correct power (due to bad switches as said) or the windows may be seized.

I would first verify the power that is leaving the switch, you could bridge the connections (Once you know the correct ones) and then if the windows work then the switches are at fault. They can be dismantled and cleaned, again as said.

Martin

cheers mate tried bridgeing but still nothing i have a motor on its way for passenger side so will see if that changes anything

thanks for everyones help
Old 29-02-2012, 06:47 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Do they have the auto down function? If so then I bet the windows are siezed. Try with both hands either side of the glass pushing it down, while someone activates the switch.
Old 29-02-2012, 06:56 PM
SAM_RSCAB

Originally Posted by RichieST
Do they have the auto down function? If so then I bet the windows are siezed. Try with both hands either side of the glass pushing it down, while someone activates the switch.
hi mate not sure what function they got as they have never worked haha

as for try pushing window down have tried that aswell

cheers.
Old 29-02-2012, 07:16 PM
neil andeRSon
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can take the switches apart and clean them. I'll bet you anything that's the problem. I've had to do this to my cos and the 2000E I had.
Old 29-02-2012, 07:37 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

If OP has bridged the switch and the result is still the same, then the switch is good.

It sounds as if the motor(s) are fine by the fact you can hear them when the switch is actuated, it may be the actual windows are siezed, in fact the motor is the last component I would suspect for failure!

It's worth removing the door card for a visual inspection, something you will have to do anyway for the new motor, while there lubricating the runners is a good idea.

They don't have a auto function feature.

Martin
Old 01-03-2012, 11:08 AM
SAM_RSCAB

Originally Posted by martysmartie
If OP has bridged the switch and the result is still the same, then the switch is good.

It sounds as if the motor(s) are fine by the fact you can hear them when the switch is actuated, it may be the actual windows are siezed, in fact the motor is the last component I would suspect for failure!

It's worth removing the door card for a visual inspection, something you will have to do anyway for the new motor, while there lubricating the runners is a good idea.

They don't have a auto function feature.

Martin

thanks for the reply i shall try get an hour in today of having a look what the problem is cheers
Old 21-03-2012, 03:55 PM
rammer
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Passenger side on mine comes down but will not go up only with the master, switch on the drivers side, any ideas please
Old 23-03-2012, 10:51 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

What do you mean by master switch?

Each window has one switch for each.

The rears (if applicable) have rear switchs in addition.

In any case if yours goes only one way I would suspect a switch issue with the switch.

Martin
Old 24-03-2012, 07:55 AM
rammer
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Hi Martysmartie
You are correct Marty it is a faulty switch, I have now swapped the passenger side with a rear one ,that way the good lady can now operate her side, I have sprayed all switches now as aprecaution but will have a look on Ebay for another,
many thanks for the reply

Rammer