Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Cosworth YB 2WD – Coolant system

Search this Thread

Old 30-01-2012, 01:02 PM
scottie686
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cosworth YB 2WD – Coolant system

I have a query I’m hoping someone can help with. I’m in the process of putting a Cossie turbo into my kitcar and just want to check the following coolant system arrangement I have plumbed in will work! I only ask as I did not have a donor car and so have no reference to the orientation of the water hoses! So, the current set-up I have is;

• 32mm hose from thermostat housing to top rad
• 32mm hose from bottom rad to water pump
• On the water pump there is a secondary take-off hose (approx. 20/25mm), should this be
the feed to the turbo banjo or be blocked off?
• Turbo banjo #2 connects to the new header tank.
• Small single 8-10mm take-off from thermostat housing, should this be used as the feed to
the turbo instead of the above or go to the top of the header tank to act an air bleed?.
N/B - The thermostat housing I have has just these two take-off’s, 32mm and 8-10mm.
• To the rear of the block, inlet side, just above the water temp sender for the ECU,
there’s a 15-20mm take-off – should this connect to the main lower take-off on the
header tank? Or, should this take-off on the block be plumbed into a ‘T’ piece into the
lower rad hose to act as a cold start bypass before the thermostat opens? If so, should
I then have an additional ‘T’ piece into this line to connect to the lower main take-off on
the header tank?

Or, should I put a water swirl pot in the top rad line and connect both the 15-20mm take-off at the rear of the block (which I’m assuming is the cold start bypass) and the lower take-off on the header tank to this swirl pot?

Finally, I am not running a heater matrix. Are there any other water take-off points on the block I have missed and need to block, or even feed into one of the new lines?

I look forward to your responses.

Scott
Old 30-01-2012, 01:26 PM
Fezman1
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Top and bottom rad pipes - correct.
The waterpump secondry take off (20/25mm) is heater matrix
Turbo banjo on the outerside connects to header tank
Turbo banjo inner connect to small outlet of thermostat
Rear of head inlet side goes to the modine & the other one from the modine to the heater matrix

This is for the set up in a cossie running a heater matrix

Hope it is of some help
Old 30-01-2012, 03:44 PM
scottie686
Virgin

Originally Posted by Fezman1
Top and bottom rad pipes - correct.
The waterpump secondry take off (20/25mm) is heater matrix
Turbo banjo on the outerside connects to header tank
Turbo banjo inner connect to small outlet of thermostat
Rear of head inlet side goes to the modine & the other one from the modine to the heater matrix

This is for the set up in a cossie running a heater matrix

Hope it is of some help
Yes thank you. So, if i'm not running a heater do i block the 20/25mm on the water pump? if so, do i also block the modine? or, can i connect the inlet at the rear of the head to the lower inlet on my header tank? Is there no cold start bypass?

Scott
Old 30-01-2012, 09:05 PM
scottie686
Virgin

Just in addition to the above, I have an early early yb. I'm also running a dry sump, the remote adaptor I have has mounted where the original oil filter would have mounted but there was no modine in place. Just the stock filter to the block face. In this instance, where can the 15mm outlet go on the rear of the block?! Header tank or t piece into the lower rad pipe or swirl pot after thermostat?!

Scott