Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

How to replace original Sapphire Cosworth 4x4 stereos for aftermarket model?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 07:19 PM
K464TGV
Part of the Furniture

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How to replace original Sapphire Cosworth 4x4 stereos for aftermarket model?

Hi All, Just wondering if anybody knows what I need to buy to install an aftermarket cd player I have bought to use in my Sapphire until I can source an original 2040 cd player to replace mine which has decided to stop working. The car is also fitted with a 2007 radio/cassette and the 2040 acts as a slave unit, both I believe are connected to a Ford Amp. I'm assuming that I could remove both, fit a blanking plate/storage section in the space currently occupied by the 2040 but I'm not sure about the wiring/harness/adaptor for the aftermaket cd player which I would place in the section currently occupied by the radio/cassette...any help would be appreciated as I would rather do this myself than drop the car off for a day at an audio place. Thanks very much
Old 12-01-2012, 08:47 PM
cossie moon
Durham RSOC member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will need a wiring harness that plugs in to your orignal ford stereo plugs and has iso connection on the other end to plug in to your new stereo wiring that way you don't have to cut any of your car wiring so you can put the car back to standard at a later date!
Old 10-02-2012, 03:05 PM
K464TGV
Part of the Furniture

Having attempted to get the old 2040cd player fixed I've now attempted to fit the aftermarket cd player. I bought a harness (autoleads PC9) which incorporates the ISO connection and the scart type lead. Once fitted with the aerial the cd player jumped into life however I have no sound whatsoever coming from the factory speakers...?? There are two tweeters fitted that you can barely hear any sound from but at least theres a little. Does anybody know if there is another lead I need to fit to get the speakers working? Cheers in advance
Old 10-02-2012, 03:28 PM
gorillasnot
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

When i had that car i upgraded all of the speakers and headunit, because of the ford amp i ran new cabling straight from the head unit to the rear speakers, i did the same with the fronts, new cabling to the crossovers (sounds like it still has the front component speakers fitted) and then from the crossovers to the tweeters and door speakers, if the ford amp is still bypassed and if you have bought the adaptor lead i think you have bought (the one that keeps the amplifier) then you wont get any sound, if its still wired the way i wired it you need a standard ford adaptor lead, ignoring the amplifier connector

Ryan
Old 10-02-2012, 04:42 PM
K464TGV
Part of the Furniture

Hi Ryan, Thanks very much for the reply. The harness I bought is the amplifier bypass one. Sadly upon trying the normal ford adaptor (think this is called the ISO lead..??) the radio just comes on without any sound at all (not even from the tweeters). I noticed there's another ISO plug and connector further behind the dash but this was connected to the plug I tried connecting to the normal ford adaptor. One thing I found odd is that there is only one connector from the Sierra Harness although two sockets for the ford adaptor (one brown/one black - the black one is the one I could connect to). Any other suggestions would be great otherwise its off to my local car audio chap.... Thanks very much
Old 11-02-2012, 09:06 AM
gorillasnot

Have you tried connecting straight to the other iso plugs that you found behind the dash without any of the ford adaptor malarky? They will be the ones i put in im guessing in which case should solve your problem, presuming its still wired how i remember it being!

Ryan
Old 11-02-2012, 10:57 AM
K464TGV
Part of the Furniture

Hi Ryan, Thought it might be best to upload a link of some pics of what wires/harnesses I have and what the wiring looks like behind the dash in the hope that this might help give you an idea as to what I need to do.
I have tried using the amplifier bypass lead which provided sound through the tweeters. I also tried using this but without connecting the amp wire and I got no sound. I tried using the brown/black combo harness and this gave no sound. I'm really at a loss mate..... http://www.flickr.com/photos/3278186...7629269467439/

Last edited by K464TGV; 11-02-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:57 AM
gorillasnot

cant tell a lot from those pics to be honest , one thing i can see is in pic 4, the thick blue wire in the bottom right hand corner of the pic, just under the aerial plug - thats one of the replacement speaker leads that i put in, Whicever plug they are going to should be the one that gives you sound as they bypass the amp completely and are wired direct to the speakers - this is all assuming its still all wired up the way i left it!

Ryan
Old 11-02-2012, 01:31 PM
K464TGV
Part of the Furniture

Thanks again Ryan - I really appreciate the help but it looks like I'm going to get it sorted by our local audio chap....will let you know when its sorted. At least I've got all the leads he should need so that should save me a bit. All the best
Old 11-02-2012, 01:58 PM
gorillasnot

No problem, would have been happy to have a looksie at it for if you were local

Hope you get it sorted easy enough

Ryan