Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Sapphire Cosworth Steering Wheel + Electric window problem + CD player...??????

Search this Thread

Old 26-12-2011, 06:35 PM
K464TGV
Part of the Furniture

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sapphire Cosworth Steering Wheel + Electric window problem + CD player...??????

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum but hope somebody could please help me with a couple of problems I have with my Sapphire Cosworth 4x4.

I've just bought an original 4x4 steering wheel (to replace an aftermarket wheel) and am in the process of attempting to fit it. So far I've pulled off the centre horn button to find a set of 3 small springs on a black plastic inner disc/mount which seems stuck to the wheel and assume this needs to be removed in order to bolt it on.....??
Please can somebody let me know how the plastic centre piece can be removed properly without damaging it.

I've also got a problem with the drivers side rear window. When attempting to open/close it using both the switch on the front console and on the back of the centre rest I'm not getting a response...is it likely this is the motor or are there any other suggestions before I look to buy one..??

Finally the car is fitted with a Ford cassette player and a 2040 CD player which has just recently decided to stop playing CD's. It accepts a disc and trys to read it (although no noise - so can't be sure of this..?) then spits it out. Does anybody know of anywhere that could repair this and if not what is required to fit an aftermarket CD player as I understand that the car has an amplifier and wonder if this needs to be adapted some how.

Apologies for the number of queries and length of the thread but any help would be appreciated. All the best and thanks very much in advance
Old 26-12-2011, 07:46 PM
jaimesdna
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont know about the steering wheel but with the rear window id remove the door card & check its connected. if it is dissconect it & try a direct live feed from a battery charger or something. if it works theres a wiring problem somewhere (there is several connections in the window loom) if it doesnt work then the motors fooked. as for the cd player keep searching on ebay. they do often crop up & can normally be got for £20- £40. cool to keep it original
Old 27-12-2011, 09:18 AM
K464TGV
Part of the Furniture

Thanks for the advice Jamie - will test the window as suggested and keep an eye out for a replacement stereo as would prefer to keep it original. Just need a solution to the wheel problem - might be easier to take it to Paul...??
Old 27-12-2011, 09:48 AM
YOREVOL
YOREVOL

from what i remember you need to keep removing screws untill you get to the big nut, remove this and the steering wheel boss will come off be carefull with the wires fitting the standard wheel is very straight forward. i prefer the momo wheel, i have one fitted to my xr4x4tt but originality on a cossie is quite rare these days.
Old 27-12-2011, 10:21 AM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 102 Likes on 100 Posts

What you are seeing is possibly the horn push on the aftermarket wheel?

This will need to be removed, when you do so you will find a nut which holds the wheel on (UNDO this slightly) do NOT totally remove, else when removing the wheel it can fly up into your face!

As to the window it could be the motor or regulator etc, that or you have a break in the wiring, I personally would first check you have power at one of the swithes, as it's easier than removing the door cards, if not then you have a wiring problem, if you do then proceed with the mentioned method above with power to the motor to test etc.

Re the CD player you can try and just remove power to it and reconnect (It's a long shot) or just buy another. It may just be dusty inside.

Martin
Old 27-12-2011, 02:05 PM
nicksaph
PassionFord Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by K464TGV
Hi there,

I've just bought an original 4x4 steering wheel (to replace an aftermarket wheel) and am in the process of attempting to fit it. So far I've pulled off the centre horn button to find a set of 3 small springs on a black plastic inner disc/mount which seems stuck to the wheel and assume this needs to be removed in order to bolt it on.....??
Please can somebody let me know how the plastic centre piece can be removed properly without damaging it.

hello mate and welcome,

the black plastic thing with the three springs attached is the back of the horn push, which has come to bit when you tryed to remove it.
you need to slide a small thin screw driver down the side of the plastic peice that has the springs on it and tweek the plastic out of the wheel,( the wheel is quite soft and flexible).
if your still struggling i will find my old wheel and take some photos for you.

cheeRS nick.
Old 29-12-2011, 12:24 PM
K464TGV
Part of the Furniture

Hi all, Thanks very much for all the advice. Sadly I've come across a bit of a problem with the momo boss??? I've removed the 24mm bolt in the centre of the boss however it still seems connected to the steering column some how..? Are there any other screws or bolts that need to be removed from the boss before it can be removed?? Thanks in advance
Old 29-12-2011, 01:26 PM
K464TGV
Part of the Furniture

Sorry its me being a numpty - left the steering lock on!! duh! - Pleased to say that the car is now sporting an original wheel...pics later!
Old 29-12-2011, 03:03 PM
jaimesdna
Advanced PassionFord User

pmsl. ive done that a few times before