Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

cdz 982 is playin up

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 10:33 AM
scraggyrst

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cdz 982 is playin up

i've owned her for a couple of weeks and have noticed a few minor problems the first one is fairly new started a couple of days ago she sat up for a few days then after work i wanted to clean her since we have a small drive i moved her back, gave her a good wash moved her forward again this time start up was fine nice smooth etc. anyway on friday since fuel light cropped up and i was gonna use her on saturday i was gonna fill her up with v power, when i started her up she began misfiring i sat their for abit put a few revs on her nothing major not over 2k drove her down the road the same couple of minutes past was fine suppose unburnt fuel fouled up the plugs and was burning it off, filled her up took her for about a 20mile run didn't play up at all. saturday afternoon started her up same again bit of a misfire and this time opened the bonnet the idle was eratic and the amal valve was wirring so same gave her a few revs not over 2k took her down the road and was fine. anyone got any ideas?????
second problem is very annoing she knocks when you pull away and turning the steering it's got uprated engine mounts, i realligned the downpipe as i had it on a ramp and noticed chaffing on the downpipe and the front prop shaft so moved it, now that has cured part of the noise but is still their noticably. are steering ujs a common failure on them or steering racks also what about top strut mount bearings????

if anyone can help would be much appreciated
Old 09-10-2011, 10:49 AM
kosienutter
Last Time, Get Off PF FFS

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

idle speed control valve is the 1st thing to look at with the erattic idle revs. the mis fire could be crap in the distributer. i had it and cleaned mine out and it was fine after clearing the little drain holes in the bottom of the distributers casing. check voltage at the fuel pump too whilst your at it.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:14 AM
scraggyrst

ive got a modified one on as i've got anti lag normally splutters twice when cold then fine no misfire when the car is hot it's fine starts first time just when i've left it over night does the trouble start
Old 09-10-2011, 11:20 AM
kosienutter

eek, stump lol. do you have wasted spark? been told it jumps a little for a few seconds when cold but afterwards its absolutely fine.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:32 AM
scraggyrst

no wasted spark, i got a group a coil and uprated plugs and leads
Old 09-10-2011, 01:03 PM
kosienutter

Really stumped now.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:20 PM
scraggyrst

i mean since it's been washed more than driven it could possibly be water in contacts i suppose was fine earlier when i started from where she sat since saturday afternoon
Old 09-10-2011, 06:50 PM
kosienutter

Try the crank position sensor. Can be caked in crap and water sometimes or the phase sensor next to the distributer

Last edited by kosienutter; 09-10-2011 at 06:52 PM.