Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

setting up tps yb(2wd l8)

Search this Thread

Old 22-09-2011, 12:30 AM
mark r
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default setting up tps yb(2wd l8)

hi, need to know how to set up tps as throttle is hanging on after taking my foot of the throttle.its hanging at around 2700 rpm.there was a thread around a while ago telling how to set tps up with voltage values at pins on ecu(have swapped outer wires).

cheers mark
Old 22-09-2011, 12:33 AM
cossie350
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you unplugged the ICV to make sure its not that ?
Old 22-09-2011, 08:58 AM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 102 Likes on 100 Posts

ISCV will be raising the engine speed (Assuming it's not a sticky throttle) however it's being TOLD to do so, also it won't run correctly either, TPS for L8 should INCREASE with throttle, i.e. from 0 at closed throttle to circa 5V at WOT. There can be a slight tolerance on both of these.

Martin
Old 22-09-2011, 10:30 AM
cozmeister
More boost Igor!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The L8 uses the lowest stable voltage as the "zero" reference - there's no need to calibrate it like on the L6.

As young Martin pointed out, the ISCV only raises the engine speed, by letting in more air than the static adjustment (base idle) allows. Unplug the TPS and ISCV to see if the idle speed drops. If it does, one of those has an issue - if it doesn't drop, you have an air leak, probably inlet manifold gasket split.

If reconnecting the ISCV alone makes it idle properly (leave TPS disconnected), chances are the TPS is fooked.
Old 22-09-2011, 11:16 AM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Also noticed it's a 2WD with a L8, in which case you need a PF09 TPS, swapping the wires over won't suffice alone.

If not as mentioned above it will never find the lowest value.

Martin
Old 22-09-2011, 04:23 PM
mark r

Originally Posted by cossie350
Have you unplugged the ICV to make sure its not that ?
its been disconnect for months
Old 22-09-2011, 04:31 PM
mark r

Originally Posted by cozmeister
The L8 uses the lowest stable voltage as the "zero" reference - there's no need to calibrate it like on the L6.

As young Martin pointed out, the ISCV only raises the engine speed, by letting in more air than the static adjustment (base idle) allows. Unplug the TPS and ISCV to see if the idle speed drops. If it does, one of those has an issue - if it doesn't drop, you have an air leak, probably inlet manifold gasket split.

If reconnecting the ISCV alone makes it idle properly (leave TPS disconnected), chances are the TPS is fooked.
thing is just done an engine rebuild and had it all apart,new cometic gaskets all over so dont see there being a leak but i could be wrong.gonna try disconnecting both iscv and tps and see how it goes
Old 22-09-2011, 04:33 PM
mark r

Originally Posted by martysmartie
Also noticed it's a 2WD with a L8, in which case you need a PF09 TPS, swapping the wires over won't suffice alone.

If not as mentioned above it will never find the lowest value.

Martin
the tps was new a 1 yr ago,but for some reason i swapped the outer wires thinking this had to be done on a 2wd loom.
Old 22-09-2011, 07:34 PM
mark r

Originally Posted by Tony Mannock
Just to sum up for you :-
the tps needs to be a pfo9 as opposed to a pfo1 , The outer two wires of the tps plug have to be inverted on a 2wd loom as well when using an L8

hi tony,tps is a o9 as thats all you can buy these days.is there a specific way to set up tps?.
Old 23-09-2011, 12:26 AM
Rob Virgo
Advanced PassionFord User

Tony,

Would a duff/ misaligned tsp cause dodgy tickover and flat boost delivery ( when boost comes in power goes flat like soft rev cut ot plugs blown out or misfire across four cylinders) only way I can describe it

Swapped, map sensor,igin amp,coil,coil king lead, fuel reg. ...?.....

400 escos on greys
Old 23-09-2011, 09:14 AM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by mark r
its been disconnect for months
Then you have something introducing air that shoulden't.

The only thing that can raise engine speed is air, via the throttle or ISCV, as you don't have the latter, you either have a sticky throttle, base idle set incorrectly, or an air leak.

Martin
Old 23-09-2011, 04:13 PM
Rob Virgo

its running l6 Tony, a certain wolverhamption tuner special....lol
Old 23-09-2011, 04:44 PM
Rob Virgo

if you could pm me the best number to get you at that would be MEDAZZA

cheers

rob v
Old 23-09-2011, 11:33 PM
mark r

Then you have something introducing air that shoulden't.

The only thing that can raise engine speed is air, via the throttle or ISCV, as you don't have the latter, you either have a sticky throttle, base idle set incorrectly, or an air leak.

Martin
martin,how is the base idle set?
chip and injectors brand new this week from msd (380 conversion).
Old 25-09-2011, 06:36 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

When at running temperature, with all electrical equipment switched off, unplug the ISCV (Already done in your case) base idle should be around 850-900 RPM, there is a screw on the T/B, as yours is 2WD you will need to loosen the locknut first, but ensure this is tighted correctly after, people haven't do so in the past and the whole idle screw vibrates loose and they are very hard and expensive to source!

Screw anti clockwise to increase idle speed and clockwise to decrease (IIRC), reconnect the valve.

Martin

Last edited by Turbosystems; 25-09-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 26-09-2011, 08:30 PM
mark r

When at running temperature, with all electrical equipment switched off, unplug the ISCV (Already done in your case) base idle should be around 850-900 RPM, there is a screw on the T/B, as yours is 2WD you will need to loosen the locknut first, but ensure this is tighted correctly after, people haven't do so in the past and the whole idle screw vibrates loose and they are very hard and expensive to source!

Screw anti clockwise to increase idle speed and clockwise to decrease (IIRC), reconnect the valve.

Martin
na im running 4x4 engine plus l8 ecu.well i now have idle sorted but now when coming on boost getting fuck off back fires which is cutting out the engine.ive got 55lb siemens with msd chip,but at the moment im only running 20 psi as still running in.would this cause the enginr to flood with fuel as chip telling injectors to put more fuel in but with not enough air or could my timing be slighty out causing back fires?
Old 26-09-2011, 08:38 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by mark r
na im running 4x4 engine plus l8 ecu.well i now have idle sorted but now when coming on boost getting fuck off back fires which is cutting out the engine.ive got 55lb siemens with msd chip,but at the moment im only running 20 psi as still running in.would this cause the enginr to flood with fuel as chip telling injectors to put more fuel in but with not enough air or could my timing be slighty out causing back fires?
Thats worrying! If running in you don't want to be running any boost, I woulden't at least!

Could be overfuelling issue, caused by an incorrect input to ECU, have you checked the wires in the dizzy for the phase haven't corroded and shorted? I believe if it's faulty it will cause overfuelling issues which are apparent on boost.

You sure it's not a rev limiter etc lol?

Has the CO etc been set?

Martin
Old 26-09-2011, 08:47 PM
mark r

dont really want to be boosting the engine as ive not yet finished the running in,lol but just gently creeped in a bit of boost to see if all was ok and got a back fire looked in mirror to see a cloud of black smoke and me shitting myself.been trying to set up afr with my innoative meter but i think its shit so gonna look for a garagr with a decent co meter and get it checked over tomorrow
Old 26-09-2011, 09:01 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I would have a set up done, will have piece of mind then, CO is just one of many things!

Martin
Old 26-09-2011, 09:22 PM
mark r

I would have a set up done, will have piece of mind then, CO is just one of many things!

Martin
i would love to get a pro to set my car up but theres no one near hear at all to do it.gibraltar has a population of 29,000 people and very little people id trust if any and the nearest garage with any brains is 600km away and very expsenive.maybe a trailer job!!

Last edited by mark r; 26-09-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 29-09-2011, 09:56 PM
mark r

well car no longer wants to start.was running well rich like 9.8 on a cruise!!!!
this was last night after changing a few things james from msd had told me like tps,phase and tdc maf and blue sensor at back of head.car still continues not to start.has spark and injectors are working.changed chip and injectors to greens and still no luck.rang msd back to be told by lady on phone thats james said he could no longer help me.WTF and to book car in.well thats a bit impossible as i live 1600 miles away.
what sort of service is that!!!

anyone here have any ideas as to what could wrong as 1 of the biggest names in cosworth tuning says they cant help me unless i spend even more money with them than the 600notes i just spent!!

mark

Last edited by mark r; 29-09-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old 29-09-2011, 10:00 PM
adam151082
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

have you not got a leak on the inlet anywhere? it caused mine to rev high
Old 29-09-2011, 10:49 PM
cossie350

If you have fuel, spark, air and your timing is correct than in theory it has to run !!!!
Unless its dumping a shit load of fuel in and flooding.

Have you got a spare ecu you can try ? Can you put standard injectors in with standard chip as i had a msd chip and my car ran like shit, was told it was a wiring fault or sensor, changed loom and sensors and it still ran like shit, bought a chip from another tuner and it ran perfect.
Old 30-09-2011, 05:35 AM
VEEDUBBED

How i feel for you mate...i've got the same problem here in Rome,Italy..and i don't trust any of these fookers here!.
Anyway,i had a problem on my engine very similuer to yours,1 of the 4 Weber injectors that i got off a Fiat coupè T.16v kept getting stuck open constantly injecting fuel,this happened twice..remove plugs and check,fuel will be shot out as you crank over the engine,pretty 'effin dangerous.
Old 30-09-2011, 05:31 PM
cozmeister
More boost Igor!

Originally Posted by cossie350
...i had a msd chip and my car ran like shit, was told it was a wiring fault or sensor, changed loom and sensors and it still ran like shit, bought a chip from another tuner and it ran perfect.
I'm not a MSD fanboi or anything, but perhaps the chip was either corrupt or not actually for your spec (ie, setup for 2bar map sensor instead of 3bar)?
Old 30-09-2011, 11:11 PM
mark r

still no f ing luck with getting car started.today tried another ecu standard injectors from my cousins car nothing fuel is coming out of the air filter.so tomorrow im gonna try another loom as theres nothing else to be tried.pm mr msd last night with thoughts of there service and no reply tonight when i got in.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:26 AM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

has your fuel pressure regulator failed? as you say you have fuel coming out of air filter, ive known these fail and full an engine up completley with fuel right up to the top of the rocker cover lol! the fuel is sucked through the vacuum pipe on the pressure regulator
Old 01-10-2011, 10:43 AM
mark r

the fuel reg is brand new,which should be pre set to 3.bar with vac pipe on but it was only 2.5 bar so i adjusted it to 3 on idle and 3.5 with pipe of.but im thinking theres a problem with loom as fuel pump supply i rewired a few months back should be given a good voltage .think theres a lot of resistance in loom which is giving a false reading so this afternoon im goona try a spare loom my m8 has.last night tried every avenue .i.e bent valve,cam stuck open ,snapped cam.also gonna try fuel delivery later as well see if there not enough fuel and thats why i up the reg to compensate the lack of volts to pump
Old 01-10-2011, 10:51 AM
mark r

if you have that much fuel in the inlet it will never start even if you have fixed the fault
you can test the regulator by applying vacuum to it it should hold vacuum
tony how do i apply vac to the reg?
Old 01-10-2011, 10:59 AM
mark r

you can either use a proper vac tester or get the wife to suck it
suck the pipe and stick your tongue over it should hold the vac
if she sucks and is drinking petrol the diaphragm is split
what make is the reg you have used
reg is a weber 2wd model,not ones these cheap things going around as i said new!.will try the suck test later,dont think the wife will suck it for me shes good at sucking my bell end but cars shes lost lol
Old 01-10-2011, 12:01 PM
mark r

just spoke to tony on phone and hes given me a few more things to check and to do and i havent even spent a penny with him!!
what a top gentlemen he is

mark r
Old 01-10-2011, 06:02 PM
grcossie

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Have you done an airpressure test on your inlet? Have seen the same problem as you have, whit air leak in worn map sensor hose
Old 02-10-2011, 09:57 AM
mark r

Originally Posted by grcossie
Have you done an airpressure test on your inlet? Have seen the same problem as you have, whit air leak in worn map sensor hose
no i havent done a air pressure test on inlet but i have checked and double checked all hoses,even purchased some noew vacuum hose between fuel reg and inlet and between map and inlet.waited yesterday for someone to bring me another loom to try but they never turned up
we will see today if they arrive with loom
Old 02-10-2011, 11:15 AM
grcossie

I have also seen this problem, when it comes water into map conector, it was reading 2bar boost, whit only ignition on and engine not running.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:20 AM
grcossie

Here is some information of testing sensors and signal
http://www.cannell.co.uk/Ford_Worksh...sis%20Info.pdf
Old 05-10-2011, 08:59 AM
mark r

mark have you done all the voltage input and output checks I gave you yesterday
hi tony i did some and found loom fucked,have changed to a spare loom and car is running.thanks very much for ur help.
car is booked in friday morning in madrid for setting up

mark
Old 05-10-2011, 09:34 AM
cozmeister
More boost Igor!

...raise the spark plug leads up 10mm this will increase the kv...

Cozmeister wrote I'm no expert but I think there's supposed to be a decimal point there

read what I wrote again it doesn't say set the plug gaps
I read it again and edited my post
Old 12-10-2011, 11:06 PM
mark r

got back from madrid monday morning after an 11hr journey home towing the cossie up and down total of 1100 miles in four days.TTD motorsport has set up the car sweet,minus sun roof as it decided it didt wanna be part of the car anymore on one of the test runs.But only on greens as the chip from msd would'lt start the car.so this morning rang them for steve to tell me the chip they sent me was for l8 with pectel board so no wonder the fucking car was all over the place but steve has sent me this morning a new chip for l8 baby board so hopefully within a week or 2 car should be running sweet!!!!